Kettlebells ? (Read 176 times)

running metalhead

I'm planning on buying a pair of Kettlebells (a light one of 12kg and a heavier of 16-18kg). Right now the price is quite good for a quality kettlebell so that I have no excuse.

I'm right now searching for good workouts and guides to correct form as I am already aware that these weights have to be used with utter care and very good form.

My aim is to do a few minutes of lighter workout every morning before going to work with the lighter ones and a "real" workout" 3 times a week during the racing season and 5 or more during the "off-period"

The recommended weight for my level in normal weights is 14kg -16kg but I am afriad that this may be too much for certain exercises and too little for others.

Is anybody here using these things? Does it make sense to get a pair of 10kg ? Any good online resources?

When I run I feel like a swallow

Because you are free like a bird?

Nope, because of all the flies I eat.

Old , Ugly and slow

why don't you get adjustable dumbells or an ajustable kettlebell.

That way you can do more exercises.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2018 goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

Canadian princess

Why are they any better than weights or are they the same?

running metalhead

why don't you get adjustable dumbells or an ajustable kettlebell.

That way you can do more exercises.

Because of the price and the noise: 

A good quality adjustable kettlebell costs as much as 4 normal ones (they run between the 20 and the 30 EUR). There are handles to which you can attach dumbbell discs but I want something that allows me to train early without making too much noise, so that these are not an option.

I do already have adjustable dumbbells, but the type of training with kettlebells is very different as the classical weight training with dumbbells, hence my question. I am used to 'normal' lifting and strength training and I plan to combine both specially during the two or three months I take off the trails and roads.

When I run I feel like a swallow

Because you are free like a bird?

Nope, because of all the flies I eat.

I'm planning on buying a pair of Kettlebells (a light one of 12kg and a heavier of 16-18kg). Right now the price is quite good for a quality kettlebell so that I have no excuse.

I'm right now searching for good workouts and guides to correct form as I am already aware that these weights have to be used with utter care and very good form.

My aim is to do a few minutes of lighter workout every morning before going to work with the lighter ones and a "real" workout" 3 times a week during the racing season and 5 or more during the "off-period"

The recommended weight for my level in normal weights is 14kg -16kg but I am afriad that this may be too much for certain exercises and too little for others.

Is anybody here using these things? Does it make sense to get a pair of 10kg ? Any good online resources?

I am also using a pair of kettlebells which I bought from http://www.xtrainingequipment.com/Kettlebells_c_9.html last year. Using kettlebells for workout is indeed very beneficial  in improving  full body strength, mobility & flexibility, power and endurance. However, just like any other types of fitness equipment these are only safe if used properly.

kaleidoscopeEyes

I'm a scrawny female, definitely not a bodybuilder, and started off with a 15-pound and 20-pound (7-10 kg) kettlebell.  I was wanting to move up in weight after ~3 or so months.

You probably don't have to worry about 12-16 kg being too much.  At least, not for the ballistic, momentum-based movements.

For the controlled movements, you want to start with a weight that you can overhead press about 10 times (8-12 kgs for guys).

Do you have anything where you live, where you can test kettlebells out to experiment with weights?  I just went to a Wal-mart to get a feel for the different weights, before I went online to purchase.   The kettlebells I have are the CAP brand, and I just got them off of Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/CAP-Barbell-45--Pounds-Kettlebell/dp/B003J9M6I8/

When you say you want to get 'a pair of 10 kg', are you talking about TWO 10-kg kettlebells?  No, you don't want to do that.  You want to get 1 lighter kettlebell, and 1 heavier kettlebell.  You don't want to get 2 of the same weight.

There's a lot of good info here about kettlebells, brands, workouts, guides, form:

http://www.reddit.com/r/kettlebell/comments/igosn/the_great_and_ongoing_kettlebell_review/