Dude...whoa...trail shoes specifically for ice and snow! (Read 705 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

And they are NBs and come in widths! Why have I never seen these before?! Ugh, I could have used these a month ago! NB 921 Has anyone ever tried these? How are they on snow and ice, really? Worth $100? Now we don't have any snow and haven't in weeks, but it's only early Jan...the Winter is still young. Of course, if I bought a pair that would guarantee that we would get no more snow (we bought snow tires for our car, since the stocks are terrible on snow, then we had to switch back to the stock wheels and tires, as we haven't had snow since). It's probably not worth it now for shoes that wouldn't likely get a ton of wear before they're 6 months old and the cushioning starts to diminish. But maybe something to watch for deals on for next year. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I've seen some other brands with winter shoes. However, I never noticed trail shoes that mention the type of gait their for, i.e. motion control, stability or neutral. What's the deal with that? - R
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I've seen some other brands with winter shoes. However, I never noticed trail shoes that mention the type of gait their for, i.e. motion control, stability or neutral. What's the deal with that? - R
        That's one thing that I've often wondered about, too. Do you know of other Winter trail shoes that come in wide widths? I love those removable spikes--that would be interesting on ice, I'll bet. The cushioning that doesn't get hard when it's cold is interesting, too--I definitely notice that when it's particularly cold that my shoes feel less cushy. k

~ Sarah Kay

Scout7

I like the idea of the lace pocket. That's pretty cool, especially when you have to stop to pull sticks from your laces. I apparently have never lived where it gets that cold. I got a pair of YakTrax Pros for X-mas, but no snow or ice yet, so I don't know how well they'll hold up for running.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I apparently have never lived where it gets that cold. I got a pair of YakTrax Pros for X-mas, but no snow or ice yet, so I don't know how well they'll hold up for running.
            I've seen a few reviews that make them sound not too terribly durable...though on a year like this one has been, thus far, that wouldn't be an issue. From the looks of things that NB shoe must have just come out maybe a month ago. Wonder why they would release a Winter shoe so late? Though I'd probably be annoyed if I had purchased a pair for that price on a year like this one. I've only had a handful of runs where they would have been useful. This year has been unseasonably warm and dry. I'm definitely going to consider a pair next Fall, though. I'll be interested to see what sorts of reviews they get in the meantime. Perhaps I can pick up a pair this Summer for cheap. k

~ Sarah Kay

Eryn

Kirsten, save your money. Check this out, these have never done me wrong. Plus you can wear your normal running shoes. http://www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm Otherwise, Yaktrax rock, too.

Some runners drag a tire. I drag a Great Pyrenees.

Cryptic

lol I sure am glad I don't have to put screws in my shoes to run but if I lived in an area of the world that I did that would be the route I would go that is awesome.
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Kirsten, save your money. Check this out, these have never done me wrong. Plus you can wear your normal running shoes. http://www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm Otherwise, Yaktrax rock, too.
                  I've seen that thing, too...hubby actually bought some screws to try it with. Of course, right after he did that and we spent $700 on snow tires we haven't really seen any snow--this year has been WAY weird! I may consider the NBs next Fall, if I can find a good deal on them and we are predicted to have a really snowy year. I may also give either the Yaktrax or those ice jogger contraptions a try, too. k

~ Sarah Kay