first 5K and it was so much fun! (Read 1256 times)

I ran my first 5K race today! It didn't start out very well. I carpooled with 2 friends of mine and we left later than we should have. We were pulling into the parking lot at 10:55 and the race was scheduled to start at 11:00! Sure enough, we were filling out our forms at the registration table when we heard the starting gun go off. This was a smaller, fund raising event, so they let us get away with registering and starting late. So that's one lesson learned...leave more time than we think we need to get there! We decided, oh well, we'd just run it anyway. So we got to the starting line about 5 mintues after the race had started (and now I really regret not looking carefully at the clock because I don't know my real time)! I couldn't have asked for better weather. 2 days ago it was -18 in the morning...today it was 30 when I left the house, with bright sunshine and no wind. The course started out in a small touristy town and quickly opened up onto a black top through farm fields. I was fuming to myself initially, upset about being late, nervous to begin with about how slow I am and starting late on top of it. I'd been nervous all week...I had two horrible runs this week where everything hurt and I felt like I was getting less fit instead of more. I almost backed out of going to the race multiple times this week. But by the time I got to the sign marking 1K all of that was gone! The sun was warm and the scenery was great, peaceful rolling fields covered with snow. I started out too fast but by the time I saw the 1K sign had found my pace and I was cruising along, loving every second of it. I started to see the walkers ahead of me and slowly, slowly gained on them. The course was out and back, which meant before long I was seeing the leaders coming back past me. It was fun to watch them racing by, working hard. Eventually I passed a few girls I know who were walking the course at a leisurely pace. I was pleased to at least be passing the walkers...one of my secret fears is that I run so slowly I really might as well be walking Tongue But it turns out that's not true. As I neared the turn around point the middle of the race pack was passing me on their way back in. I can't even describe the feeling when people would meet my eyes and give me a smile and some encouraging words. I suppose I had the impression from hanging around this website that runners are generally really happy to share their sport and encourage people just starting out. But it just thrilled me to experience it, first hand. The turn around point was the only hilly part of the race, but it was through a pretty little residential cluster with farmhouses and pine trees...plenty to distract me. Coming back on the flat blacktop I was on top of the world...in all my life I would have never pictured myself entering, running, and completing a road race. But here I was. I got to the sign that read 4K and I realized how little of the course was left.....and that was both a relief and a dissapointment! At that point I passed an older woman, power walking the course, and it was great to chat with her about the beautiful weather. I said "This is my first race!" and she responded "Oh! Well, you're doing great!" It was just so sweet. I picked up my pace a little knowing there was less than half a mile left. Looking back I think I could have run the whole thing a little faster than I did! I came back through the finish line and was all smiles, raised my hands in the air for the benefit of the volunteers, haha. I had such a great time. As I walked back towards the post race food and drink my friends (who are both a lot faster than me) met me, one with a cup of water which I was beyond happy to take. I can't believe how much fun I had. I loved the way other runners were so kind and encouraging. I can't wait to do my next 5K (next month)! Any other new runners looking for their first 5K...I would definitely reccomend one with an out and back course...it's just so much fun to see the other runners coming back and everyone's so ready to make sure you are hanging in there. Now I have a RED BAR in my training log! Big grin
    Heroes never die. They just reload.
      Great report! As a new-ish runner myself, I can remember how exciting finishing my first race was!! Congrats!
      Started running Nov 2006 1st race: Cowtown 10K 2/24/07 1:09:32 PR 5K 29:54 PR 10K 1:01:08 White Rock 1/2 Dec 07 2:27:50 2010 goals PR all!!!
        I suppose I had the impression from hanging around this website that runners are generally really happy to share their sport and encourage people just starting out. Now I have a RED BAR in my training log! Big grin
        That's been my experience as well, runners is good people. Congrats on your first red bar, here's wishing you many more!

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Ha! What you described sounded so much like my first 5k last year. Mine was also an out-and-back course and I just realized that might be why I liked it better than the other 5k's I entered. It was fun to watch the other runners on the return (the kid in first place I swear was about 11 years old Clowning around). Glad you had so much fun and are already planning on more races! 30 is perfect racing temp, too! Great job!
          ---- Cynthia
            Now I have a RED BAR in my training log! Big grin
            Big grin, you earned it. Congrats.

Vim

obiebyke

Woohoo! These are my favorite reports--those first 5ks. I'm excited to join the I've-run-a-race club. Good job, Daisy!

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Another Passion

Wow, that registration was truly "under the gun"! Roll eyes Congrats on your first 5K race and here's to many more (on time) ones! Cheers! Wink

Rick
                "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                runningforcassy.blogspot.com

JakeKnight

Awesome.
                  Also awesome.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                  -----------------------------

Ringmaster

I gotta go find a 5K somewhere this weekend . . . out and back if at all possible . . . Congrats!

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                    Mile by Mile

BPH

I think I'm hooked?

Hi, I ran Mt very first 5k ever yesterday and I think i'm hooked on this running thing...My time was 34:50 I don't really train much but I am very active..My parents run a lot and have always encouraged me too be active, My mile runs have usually been around the 10 min mark so I was quite please with myself Big grin I only walked once Undecided anyway just had to share.
                      BPH
                      Teresadfp

One day at a time

Hi, I ran Mt very first 5k ever yesterday and I think i'm hooked on this running thing...My time was 34:50 I don't really train much but I am very active..My parents run a lot and have always encouraged me too be active, My mile runs have usually been around the 10 min mark so I was quite please with myself Big grin I only walked once Undecided anyway just had to share.
                        Way to go, Ben! You had a great race! You will be leaving your parents in the dust before long. Smile
                          There is NOTHING like the thrill of your first race! Yes Way to go! And awesome race report. Mare to come, I hope! You are officially hooked now I bet.

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

run4fun8910

Daisy you just got me so excited and jealous at the same time. Congratulations on your first red bar. If you look at my log their is none. :-( Some day I will get to join the likes of you racers. Let us know how your next one goes.
                            Short term goal: 5K Long term goal: half marathon. Stay injury free. Shawn
                              Hey thanks everyone. I hope sharing the fun will encourage people to just get out there and sign up for their first 5K, it's such an awesome experience. Ben-good job, I hope you are starting out on a lifetime of running! Shawn-no worries, you are already running the distance! Just have to find a race now Smile
                              run4fun8910

I hope so Daisy. I injured myself coming back from taking time of while being sick. Now I have to wait for my groin to heal. Found out though that riding an exercise bike does not hurt it. So at least I can try to keep my cardio up. April 19th is the race that I was hoping to run. It is still on my calendar. Keep your fingers crossed.
                                Short term goal: 5K Long term goal: half marathon. Stay injury free. Shawn