added user browsing (Read 1477 times)

eric :)

Hi folks! I'm back from the conference, which I should probably talk about at some point. I managed to add user browsing during the conference. Notice that the Forums tab is now Community, because it's more than just forums. There's a "navigational bar" on all community pages, similar to the toolbar in the log pages. On it are links to forums and a new "Browse User Logs". You can list users alphabetically, or search for them. It should be rather straight forward so I didn't put any directions there. Let me know if you need directions, or want to write directions for other users Big grin Please note that it will only display users with PUBLIC logs. There aren't too many users with public logs. If you don't see your name there, and think you should, then your log is not publicly viewable. Just change it in the options page. eric Smile edit: fixed typo
      Eric, I'm a Senior Programmer Analyst and for the last six months had toyed with the idea of building an ASP.NET based solution to track my running. Previously, I had been using the DRS excell spreadsheet because I like the way it worked. I have often shy'd away from online systems because they either lacked the features I wanted or they charged to high of a fee. Recently, I found your site and application. I must give you immediate props. An outstading application, from the design & usability to the features! Great Work! As a fellow developer I know you largely do it for the self-satisfaction, especially if you love running. I just wanted to say, thank you, and if there is ever anything I can do to help you or your cause, just ask. Nate Westby

Hi Nate, Thanks for your very nice note! I created the site for the exact reasons you listed. I firmly believe that a running log should always be free, and not just for the ones that can afford it. Running is open to everyone, and so should a running log. I will definitely take you up on your offer in the coming weeks. I'll make a post when the time comes. Until then, let me know if there are features that you would like to see! eric Smile

gimme some sugar, baby

hey, I'm not sure if it's just me, but user browsing only sort of works for me. It only shows me the first few entries up to the m's and cuts out, but I know more exist because my username begins with an "o". Not sure why this has happened... I tried shift-refresh and everything but still getting only the first few... it's a different number of user names each time too.
          George: Runner/Law Student
          www.gimme-five.com

gimme some sugar, baby

On another note, user groups is a REALLY cool idea, I noticed that link at the top of the page, the guys I run with that also use this site are going to be so psyched.
            www.gimme-five.com

Hey George, You're not supposed to see the user groups link. It's supposed to be a surprise Smile The link accidentally slipped in when I uploaded the fix for something else. Anyway, the drop down list is dynamically populated. It's not great for scrolling, but works nicely as you type in a name. I should remove the scroll bar all together. eric Smile

gimme some sugar, baby

ha sweet. I can't wait for user groups! I told the guys about it tonight at dinner and everyone is psyched!
                www.gimme-five.com