Karnazes on 60 Minutes (Read 1132 times)

Cool. Thanks! ( ... and now let the inevitable Karno bash-fest begin ...)
    I will never bash that man. How can you bash someone who could reasonably claim that his next goal is to run 195 marathons in 195 countries in 195 days?

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

JakeKnight

I will never bash that man. How can you bash someone who could reasonably claim that his next goal is to run 195 marathons in 195 countries in 195 days?
      I dunno. I don't much care what any other runners do, especially one that can do things like that. I choose to be inspired or to ignore. Especially when its about people I haven't even met in real life. But a lot of runners feel very differently. Sadly. Such is human nature. And there's never been a Karno thread in history that didn't have the bashing. Us really good looking people get used to it, though. It's just a burden we have to bear. It's why I hide my 12-pack abs. I don't want to be hated. ----------------- Is he really planning to do that? He must have wicked frequent flyer mileage.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

Purdey

Self anointed title

I kind of agree with JK. I was second place to Karno as Time Magazine's "Fittest Man on the Planet", and you don't hear me bleating about it or telling the world about my next insane stunt. Next insane stunt: 100 (+) miles in 24hrs to raise £10,000 for the Down's Syndrome Association. Click link in signature. Have already been featured in my local newspaper, the Salisbury Journal. So you can stick your Time front cover Karno!

I dunno. I don't much care what any other runners do, especially one that can do things like that. I choose to be inspired or to ignore. Especially when its about people I haven't even met in real life. But a lot of runners feel very differently. Sadly. Such is human nature. And there's never been a Karno thread in history that didn't have the bashing. Us really good looking people get used to it, though. It's just a burden we have to bear. It's why I hide my 12-pack abs. I don't want to be hated. ----------------- Is he really planning to do that? He must have wicked frequent flyer mileage.
          I agree with you re: my interest in other runners. In Dean's case I chose to be inspired. I've only been in one race and didn't care too much how I did relative to others in the event. I just enjoyed it and I think that is the one thing I took away from DK: enjoy running longer and longer distances for its own sake. I'd rather run a slow marathon, so that I am not injured and can run another, and then, just maybe, a slow ultra or 10. None of my friends run (except my RA friends, of course), as evidenced by their questions ("Is that marathon as long as the NYC marathon?"), so my times mean little to me or to those in my daily life. No, sorry, he isn't doing that. I just saying that the fact that he could arguably claim that as his next goal says a lot about what he's accomplished.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

ultramarathon/triathlete

I like Dean. Maybe not exactly humble, but that's like asking Superman to be humble. Sure, he's not the only or even first to do most of what he does, but he's one of very few and he is motivating. I've read his books and sent them to my brother, Ultramarathon Man inspired my brother to start running the day he picked it up. He's been losing weight ever sense. I embarassingly have a signed pic of dean next to my treadmill. I've raced with him a few times though he would never remember me I'm sure... and he was great to run with. He's always been humble then :-) Though I should add that some of my close running/drinking friends that used to work with Chirs Bergland when he managed Jackrabbit Sports here in NYC, are less than Dean fans... apparently some of Dean's antics really hurt Chris' feelings, though I never asked either of them, so this is just hearsay. Anyway, Dean is awesome in my book. I'd buy him a pizza on a long run any day.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
            Gatorade Endurance Team

Hawt and sexy

I guess the best word I have to describe him is human. i read his book and he does not inspire me much. The only thing I got from the book is that he is just like everyone else. But you just can not be too humble and go around raising money for peeps. It does not work, you have to yell and scream when you run for charity, and he has the perfect personality for that. I don't think I could do that, and I'm pretty hawt. And yes, that is me in the avatar in my Camelbak.

I'm touching your pants.

Go Pre!

I don't think I could do that, and I'm pretty hawt. And yes, that is me in the avatar in my Camelbak.
                oh dear...
                rkeddie

I love it. Dean's not humble.... ... I'm pretty hawt.
                  mikeymike

What kind of Karno bashing ususally takes place on these threads? Would disputing the fact that he is "America's greatest distance runner" as the cover of outside magazine once described him, or "the best runner in America" according to Accelerade, be considered Karno bashing? I say more power to the guy and he's certainly done some really hard things. But he's more a publicity stunt man than a great runner. The fact that more people recognize his name than recognize Deena Kastor or Ryan Hall or Bernard Lagat or Nick Symmonds or Shalane Flanagan says more about just how much of a niche sport running really is, than how great Karnazes is.

Runners run

Purdey

Self anointed title

What kind of Karno bashing ususally takes place on these threads? Would disputing the fact that he is "America's greatest distance runner" as the cover of outside magazine once described him, or "the best runner in America" according to Accelerade, be considered Karno bashing? I say more power to the guy and he's certainly done some really hard things. But he's more a publicity stunt man than a great runner. The fact that more people recognize his name than recognize Deena Kastor or Ryan Hall or Bernard Lagat or Nick Symmonds or Shalane Flanagan says more about just how much of a niche sport running really is, than how great Karnazes is.
                      Well said Mike. btw - I'd forgotten that Bernard Lagat is now American...

My Hero

I guess the best word I have to describe him is human. i read his book and he does not inspire me much.
                        After checking out your log, you inspire me. Shy
                        Carps10

I'd bet a dollar that Karnazes can't run a 5 minute mile.

Imminent Catastrophe

Oh, pulleeeze. Get a grip. Or else log onto "letsrun.com". That's where your post would belong.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

JakeKnight

Oh, pulleeeze. Get a grip. Or else log onto "letsrun.com". That's where your post would belong.
                              Yes

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                              -----------------------------

Says the guy who apparently can't run one either.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?