Redundant Uploading of data (Read 1111 times)

Could you do me a favor?  The next time you upload your data, send me a message with the exact date and time of the import.  Please also leave the workouts in the import area.  I want to see if there's a problem on RA.  Thank you.

OK uploaded some new workouts, a couple of minutes ago - which are sitting in the import area. As usual the most recent of the existing workouts is repeated.

But surely the problem is before this stage? If the import was doing what we wanted we wouldn't have the repeat at this point.

eric :)

pr100,

I wasn't able to find anything obviously wrong with RA's settings.  When you import your data from the GPS, RA remembers the time stamp of the latest file so that the next time you import, it only looks for workouts after this time stamp.  If the time stamp comparison is off, even by a second, then the previous last workout will be reimported.

I would like to change the time stamp in your account by 1 second and see if it makes a difference.  It should not adversely affect your upload, but may hint at the problem.  Please let me know if you would like to try that.

Can you also verify the time zone in the Ant Agent is correct?  That may also affect the upload.

eric Smile

pr100,

I wasn't able to find anything obviously wrong with RA's settings.  When you import your data from the GPS, RA remembers the time stamp of the latest file so that the next time you import, it only looks for workouts after this time stamp.  If the time stamp comparison is off, even by a second, then the previous last workout will be reimported.

I would like to change the time stamp in your account by 1 second and see if it makes a difference.  It should not adversely affect your upload, but may hint at the problem.  Please let me know if you would like to try that.

Can you also verify the time zone in the Ant Agent is correct?  That may also affect the upload.

eric Smile

Sure - change away.

As far as I can tell Ant agent itself does not have a time zone setting. The watch itself does (which is correct), which is presumably the source of any time data in the workouts.

The computer of course also has a time zone, but that's correct too. 

When you say "the time stamp", presumably you're not using the file system time stamp - but a time stamp within the workout data. In which case it should only be the setting on the watch that's relevant.

I don't know how you're calling the communicator api - but if goes: first remember the time of the newest workout in the last import (from the workout data). Second, when doing a new import ask the communicator api for workouts newer than than the remembered time then it (presumably) all depends on the time on the watch (which controls the times in the workout data). So provided the time on the watch hasn't been changed we should be good.

Still - I've never had cause to read the communicator api docs, so maybe it doesn't go like this...

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

For some reason this still happens with me.  More of a little annoyance than anything.

• Black Canyon 100k
          • RRR
          • Zane Grey 100k
          • High Lonesome 100
          • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
          • The Bear 100
          • Javelina Jundred (?)
          stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

This still happens to me.  I didn't really have a problem ignoring it, but the recent changes to the site seem to bring your uploaded workouts automagically into your Workouts (rather than holding them in the Uploaded section until you "save" them).  Right now I'm able to spot duplicates because they have the "default" workout type, compared to the one's I've added notes to.  But I still miss one every now and again and it throws my stats off.

Was there any resolution of this?

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Jason,

The last update did not touch the importing code so I don't know how the workouts are moved into your log automatically.  I tried it with my Garmin and it worked as expected, as in the workouts remained in the import area.  Is anyone else having the same problem?

I would like to get to the duplicate import problem.  We'll discuss how to approach it offline.

eric Smile

Mine duplicates, but keeps them in the uploaded area until I do something with them.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Loves the outdoors

Mine duplicates, but keeps them in the uploaded area until I do something with them.

+1  - I just store the duplicates up and delete them at some point when they begin to irritate me. I use a 310XT with Ant Agent v 2.3.3. Not an issue that causes much of a problem to me.

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.

With stadjak's help, I finally know what is going on.  When you import your workouts, RA remembers the time stamp for the latest uploaded workout.  The next time you import, it will only import workouts with a start time after this time stamp.  It turned out that if you're using the Ant Agent, it reports the start time of the duplicated workout to be several seconds after the actual workout start time.  As a result, RA will import the workout again.

I need to look into the problem some more.  I would like to figure out the time discrepancy and create a proper fix.  If one doesn't exist, then the quick and dirty solution would be to set the time stamp to be several minutes after the last workout.  Hopefully I'll have a fix by tomorrow.

xor

So the Ant Agent is causing duplication.

This, of course, makes it a double agent.

I heart sideways smile and dragon.

I finally tracked down the problem, which seemed to have been created by an Ant Agent update about a year ago.  As I wrote in my previous post, RA remembers the time of your last workout, and then compares this time against all workouts in your GPS and only upload the workouts more recent than the time stamp.

With the Ant Agent update, the Ant Agent is using the time when the GPS created the workout as the workout time.  For example, you starte the GPS at 8:00 AM, but it will take several seconds before the GPS to create a new workout and save it to its internal memory, in which case, the creation time would be, say, 8:00:05.  When you import your workouts, RA will look for workouts after 8:00 AM.  Since the Ant Agent is reporting the workout time stamp as 8:00:05, RA will import it again.

I changed the code to account for this delay.  Hopefully this will fix the duplication problem.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

And there was great rejoicing in the streets!

Thanks again, Eric. 

I assume we need to log out and log back in for the fix????  I still had duplicate this morning, but I hadn't re-logged in.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Didn't log-in/out.  Works fine for me.

lagwagon

Hi Eric, this seems to have fixed the problem for me.

Thanks for taking the time to look into / solve it!