Sub 5 minute mile! (Read 1100 times)

I started running again last year in the hopes of being able to break 5 minutes in the mile again (something I haven't done since I was 20). I was able to accomplish that feat this past weekend at the 3rd annual Columbus Running Company 1 Mile Anniversary Dash! Smile Woohoo!!! I finished with a time of 4:48.15 which was good for 17th place overall. I'm stoked! Big grin Check out the results of the guys ahead of me. There were some smoking fast guys at that race! http://www.premierraces.com/Results07/CRCMileOverallResults.htm Chris
    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Wow, nice race! And you're right, a lot of fast guys in that one! Shocked

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hot damn, Chris--that's awesome!! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

congratulations! thats not just a bit under 5 mins either - you smashed it!
            You need to replace your avatar with a roadrunner. Awesome job!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Congratulations! I remember you talking about that as one of your goals last winter. You didn't just break 5 you smashed it. That must feel good.

Runners run

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

You didn't just break 5 you smashed it.
                Yeah dude, you took that 5-minute barrier behind the woodshed and beat it like a rented mule.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

PacTen127

XC Lover

wow that'a awesome. and 17th place is good to. Top 20!
                  No matter what happens, I'll keep running.
                    Thank you, everyone! It definitely felt good to break 5 by a decent margin. Now I'm not sure of what to do. Part of me wants to work on getting my 5k time down and another wants to try out some longer distances. On the one hand, I've run some fast 5k times back when I was a kid so I have something to possibly regain. On the other side of things, I've never run a race over 10 miles so every single race would hold the possibility of running a new PR. Big grin
                    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Now I'm not sure of what to do. Part of me wants to work on getting my 5k time down and another wants to try out some longer distances.
                      A tough call, but if I were in your shoes (and I hope to be next year, so you'll be my test case), I'd embark on a solid 5k program. Here's why -- 5k is a lot closer to a mile race then jumping up to 10-milers and half-marathons. And with a 4:48, you've clearly got your leg speed in good order, which will also bodes well for a fast 5k. McMillan's Running Calculator puts 16:38 5k as an equivalent race to your 4:48 (which I think is very believable -- senior year HS I was consistently running the 1600m in 4:42~4:47 and did a 5k race in 16:24). Anyhow, that's my thought -- use the speed you've got now to crank out a 5k PR!

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Wow. Even in high school I never broke 5. Congrats.
                        Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
                          Hmmmm...Scioto Girls?

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Hmmmm...Scioto Girls?
                            Was wondering about that, too.

A tough call, but if I were in your shoes (and I hope to be next year, so you'll be my test case), I'd embark on a solid 5k program. Here's why -- 5k is a lot closer to a mile race then jumping up to 10-milers and half-marathons. And with a 4:48, you've clearly got your leg speed in good order, which will also bodes well for a fast 5k. McMillan's Running Calculator puts 16:38 5k as an equivalent race to your 4:48 (which I think is very believable -- senior year HS I was consistently running the 1600m in 4:42~4:47 and did a 5k race in 16:24). Anyhow, that's my thought -- use the speed you've got now to crank out a 5k PR!
                              So I'm your guinea pig, huh?! That's cool. I wish you luck on your way back to form! I hit a few snags along the way so if you need anyone to talk to about injury or motivation issues, definitely let me know. A 16:38 sounds good to me! I'd love to be able to break 17 in the 5k again. Maybe that will be my next focus.
                                Hmmmm...Scioto Girls?
                                Ha! A couple of buddies gave me grief for that one, too. In addition to the regular race, they had an Abercrombie & Fitch sponsored mascot race. 4 local high schools had someone run the race as their team mascot. For every person they could recruit to run the race for their team (in my case, I put down the Dublin-Scioto girls since my buddy that outkicked me to the finish is their coach and ran as their mascot), they deducted 15 seconds from that mascot's finishing time. The winning mascot got either $750 or $1000 donated to their team for shoes, jerseys, etc. He didn't win because another team had more people finish the race... but I still got beat by a mascot which kinda stinks! For the record, he's the one behind me in the picture. That was taken with around 300 meters to go. He's wearing a vest and had a green bow tie and leprechaun hat on earlier in the race.