How to get better at running for football (Read 103 times)

samh

During the second practice today we lifted for almost an hour which got my legs a little tired but not too bad. Then we had to run on the track in 97 degree weather. I am in shape, but I admit, a bad runner. We had to run a half mile in under 4 1/2 minutes, rest, quarter mile in under 2 1/2 minutes, rest, then another quarter mile in under 2 1/2 minutes.
    I know it might sound easy but again, bad runner. I was so exhausted after that.
    Then we had to run 110 yard sprints across the field in 20 seconds. I barely made it through 4 and stopped because I thought i would throw up or pass out.
    Any tips on how I can get better at running?  
    I need help breathing while running, Iv'e heard to breath out when your left foot goes down or something? I try but after a little while my breathing goes out of control and it gets harder. I thought of swimming laps to help, or jump rope?  And any other breathing tips or running tips are appreciated.

Really, the only thing that is going to make you “better at running” is running more (and I have a feeling this isn’t really an option if you’re having 2 a days for football). But nothing is going to make you better at running in 97 degree heat at the end of the 2nd football practice of the day after a lifting session. I mean, once two a days stop, and summer is over, and you’re not lifting in season, you’ll probably be better at running – except that you’ll be playing football - which is awesome, because all the crap your coach is making you do now is designed to better your conditioning (though it may seem a bit sadistic).

So, the answer probably isn’t some secret breathing trick. The answer is the conditioning you’re doing in practice now will make you better at the conditioning. Just keep at it.

And for god sakes drink some water.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

delicate flower

I am guessing there is nothing wrong with your breathing.  It's hard to breathe because it is 97 degrees and you are running hard.  Everyone on this website struggles in that.  If you have the extra time for swimming or jumping rope, spend that time running instead.  Run easy and "jog" your extra runs...save your hard workouts for practice.  If it feels too slow, GOOD.  Lots of easy running will help you get faster in your hard workouts.

Is this "soccer" football, or American football?

<3

Working like this will not make you stronger or a better athlete.  It might  give you heat stroke. So, there's that.

But nothing is going to make you better at running in 97 degree heat at the end of the 2nd football practice of the day after a lifting session.

And we run because we like it
          Through the broad bright land

Taking a wild guess.... American football.

Is this "soccer" football, or American football?

delicate flower

Taking a wild guess.... American football.

If so, I hope those two-a-days aren't in full pads.  Screw that noise.

<3

For my secret breathing trick, I use a bong. I wouldn't recommend that for you though. 97 degree heat!!!!, GEEZUS, what in the Sam Hill!!!!!

Diego.. .what the hell happened? No bongs allowed on the course?

For my secret breathing trick, I use a bong. I wouldn't recommend that for you though. 97 degree heat!!!!, GEEZUS, what in the Sam Hill!!!!!

Village people

That is hot weather for practice. Be careful. And that doesn't sound easy. Where are you starting practice? I thought HS was in August.

Do you play any other sports? Soccer is great for speed. One of my kids plays football. I pushed him into track for fun but he also plays basketball. Make it fun.

good luck. It sounds lime it is early in the season.

BimBamBooh

you have to run, 10 repeats 200-400 meters. They have to be fast, but not the sprint. Do not forget to stretch after workouts, to loose tighten muscles