Fall Backpacking == Excellent Cross Training (Read 1330 times)

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

I had an excellent backpacking trip this weekend in New Hampshire. This is without a doubt the best time of year to get out in the woods. Few bugs, comfortable temperatures, and great fall foliage. Backpacking is my favorite kind of cross training, by far. On the continuum of speed vs endurance, it's way out on the endurance end beyond long slow running. And for the gear-obsessed, you can endlessly tinker with your kit to squeeze every last ounce out. At 31 pounds for two days, I think I'm doing ok, but the true connoisseur can make do with half that. Smile
    Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
      Ed - that is just so gorgeous - thanks for sharing those pics Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
      Thyroid Support Group

I concur. I have started backpacking with my 7-year old. Wish I could get out and do it more - so far once in the spring, once in the fall. We just did an overnighter weekend before last. Love the gear fetish, but love seeing how <url=http:>simple I can keep it too. Gorgeous pics!</url=http:>

I took the Tuckerman Ravine up Mount Washington a couple of years ago around this time of year, and that was a lot of fun. I did quite a bit of hiking this summer, but haven't really gotten out for it this fall (unless you count running the Pisgah 50k, which did go through a forest that looks like your pictures...)

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I did a nice hike on Saturday. It is great cross training and I noticed that my hiking pace was much faster than before I re-started running four months ago. Not so fast that I didn't enjoy the hike though. Big grin

Jeremy

Beautiful pics, Ed. Thanks for sharing them.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Great pictures! Looks like a wonderful place to go hiking.

Michelle

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Thanks guys. On a trip like this I'm always torn between my love of photography and my love of a light pack. This time I went with only the tiny camera. There were definitely times I longed for the super wide lens on my SLR, but I'm still quite happy with the results.
                    Thanks guys. On a trip like this I'm always torn between my love of photography and my love of a light pack. This time I went with only the tiny camera. There were definitely times I longed for the super wide lens on my SLR, but I'm still quite happy with the results.
                    Those pictures are worthy of framing. Just thinking of those pictures taken with the wide lens, wow, that would have been really awesome!

Michelle

Fall is my favorite time of year, and you've captured why in your pics! I can even hear the leaves crunching and smell that fall air! Thanks for sharing! Very nice. Smile
                      Jacob Fern

Nice pictures! When I was living in Montana I loved to go out into the woods during fall. All the tamaracks were turning gold, and the woods always smell the best in the fall. I wish I could get out into the woods, but I just moved to New York City, so that's not really an option anymore. Unless you count central park... Tongue
                        Ed4

Barefoot and happy

I wish I could get out into the woods, but I just moved to New York City, so that's not really an option anymore. Unless you count central park... Tongue
                          Rent a car and spend a weekend in the Berkshires. There's some fine hiking on the AT as it passes through the north west tip of Connecticut and western Massachusetts.

Just keep running...

Agreed, I am headed to southern Utah Next weekend for some "Cross training" of my own! Nothing like some strength training with 40Lbs of stuff on your back!
                            btb1490

Great shots, Ed. Where in NH did you go? I agree, fall is the best time! A 31 lb. backpack? Holy cow, that's a lot of bagels! Wink
                              Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Where in NH did you go?
                                The Pemigewasset Wilderness, which is part of the White Mountain National Forest.