Advice Needed (Calf Strain) (Read 59 times)

Member Since 2008

Last Friday during a run, I sustained a calf strain.  So far, this has been the only injury I haven't been able to push through.  I had a dose of cyrotherapy and a sports massage.  I can walk with no pain but if I try to do an easy jog, I can tell something is off.  The question (s) I have are:

1.  How long should I wait to do calf strengthening excersizes?

2.  Will walking before I can run slow the healing process down?

3.  When I am able to run again, what should my base weekly mileage be?  Prior to the injury I was up to 24 miles.

Feel free to critique my running info to see where I went wrong.  And yes, the shoes went straight in the trash.

joescott

My son was fighting a mild calf strain off and on through the winter.  He kept running through it but compensated by adding rest days, cutting mileage, icing post run, and wearing a calf compression sleeve on the affected leg.  He's come through it and running well, but your situation sounds like it might be more severe.  Hopefully someone well qualified like T chuck responds to your query.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Member Since 2008

Thanks joescott, I don't think it's too bad, I haven't felt any pain since the first day.  I had the same issue a couple of years ago and every time I tried to run it was excruciating.  Last night I walked for a mile and jogged very easy for half a mile.  I didn't want to push it, but I could still tell something was up.

runmichigan

Where in the calf is the pain?  If it is deep in the calf muscle and only bothers you when running, it may be what is referred to as a "calf heart attack".  Do a Google search on that term and you should find a Running Times/Runners World article on diagnosing it and recovering from it.

snake84

1.  How long should I wait to do calf strengthening excersizes?

2.  Will walking before I can run slow the healing process down?

3.  When I am able to run again, what should my base weekly mileage be?  Prior to the injury I was up to 24 miles.

Feel free to critique my running info to see where I went wrong.  And yes, the shoes went straight in the trash.

I am not going to critique anyone who runs distances much greater then I do. I'm also not going to recommend a Start back up distance.

I will give my opinion one 1. & 2. Walking will increase the blood flow and help get vital nutrients into the muscle. The calf muscle can take a lot of pounding and providing there is no rupture, should heal quickly.

Test to see if it's in the gastrocnemious or the soleus. If it bothers you with your leg at a 90 degree, it's probably the soleus. Adjust your training accordingly

Member Since 2008

The calf heart attack is spot on.  Thanks for the info.  As far as pain, no pain regardless of the angle of my leg or calf.

SMART Approach

I have multiple calf strains. Yours appears minor. 5-7 day injury. I would not run for 5 days. Cross train. You won't lose fitness. Then be sure calf is heated up/warmed up nice before your runs. Go comfortable with runs for next 5 days. From then on, do your normal runnng if feeling good. Easy stretching only if no discomfort after warmed up. 2 leg body weight calf raises with 3/4 motion only if no discomfort. You should be good in 10 days.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Member Since 2008

Thanks Tchuck.  Good advice.