Salt (Read 733 times)

Lazy idiot

Know your dosage!
    Twelve Monkeys

Tick tock

Imminent Catastrophe

Which is better, and why? Thoughts?
      Some ultrarunners take as much as two s-caps per hour in extremely hot/humid conditions. That's 682 mg sodium, equal to 17 Endurolytes! (or one bite of the stir-fry that I ate recently, but that's another subject...) Tongue That many Endurolytes will also give you 425 mg of Potassium, which seems like a lot and would be kind of inconvenient to carry. Trent? There are many electrolyte supplements out there, I just use what is the consensus favorite of ultrarunners on the Ultra list. Jlynnbob?

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Eryn

I'm an S!caps kinda girl. I used to get pretty nauseated during my long runs, couldn't keep much down. With S!, my tummy stays settled and I can keep on peeing throughout races(7+ hrs). I've tried the Hammer caps, which didn't do much for me. I'm a seriously salty runner, too. I come out of long races crusty... Dead

Some runners drag a tire. I drag a Great Pyrenees.

I'm a salty girl,too, like downshiftbarbie. I get coated with the stuff pretty on long or warm runs. I started taking S! caps every hour on the hour during anything over a 2 hours. Seems to keep me from getting light headed. I know I have low blood pressure, and I sometimes crave the salt in betweeen runs, too.
          Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
          va

From the Electrolyte Replacement article on the Hammer web site: "Far too many athletes have suffered needlessly with swollen hands and feet from water retention due to ingestion of salt tablets or electrolyte products too high in sodium during prolonged exercise in the heat. The body has very effective mechanisms to regulate and re-circulate sodium from body stores. Excess sodium consumption interferes with or neutralizes these complex mechanisms. Sweat generates large sodium loss, which is monitored closely through hormonal receptors throughout the body. However, rapid sodium replacement neutralizes the system, allowing water intake to dilute sodium content. High sodium electrolyte supplementation contravenes natural physiological serum electrolyte control. Once the body detects an increase in sodium from exogenous sources (i.e., food, salt tablets, or products too high in sodium), the hormone aldosterone signals the kidneys to stop filtering and re-circulating sodium and instead excrete it. When this happens, another hormone, vasopressin, predominates and causes fluid retention. If you've ever finished a workout or race with swollen hands, wrists, feet, or ankles, or if you have experienced puffiness under your eyes and around your cheeks, chances are your sodium/salt intake was too high." and "SODIUM is the chief cation (positively charged ion) outside the cell. The average American carries 8000 mg of excess sodium in extracellular tissues. During endurance events, a minimum of three to four hours is necessary to deplete this mineral, which may result in symptoms of abnormal heartbeat, muscle twitching, and hypoventilation. However, if sodium is replaced at the same rate as depletion, it overrides the hormonal regulating mechanisms that enable the body to conserve electrolytes. Consumption of too much sodium will cause a variety of problems, the least of which is fluid retention. Therefore, we highly recommend a more moderate, body-cooperative replenishment of 120-240 mg/hr of sodium, as sodium chloride." Other views?