BBC America's "Orphan Black" (Read 146 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Dammit, we just finished season 2 and I'm twitching like a junkie in need of a fix.  What an amazing show.  Tatiana Maslany is fantastic!!  I have so many questions that need answering, now.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

I know!!! I have to keep reminding myself that Tatiana is playing multiple characters. I discovered this series last summer and was able to binge watch both seasons. It's been hard having to wait for the next installment. I dare anyone to watch the first episode of the first season and not get hooked!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

DH and I were discussing our favorite clone.  He adores Helena.  I'm not sure I can decide, but I'd probably have to vote Casima, if I were really pushed.  It makes me wish we'd gotten to know the 3 (I think 3...or am I forgetting some, other than the ones we don't actually see fleshed-out in any way?  Beth, the teacher, the German...?) deceased clones.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

And can you believe she hasn't even been nominated for an Emmy?  Why do the major awards shows hate Canadians so much?  It makes me angry the same way Jim Carrey was snubbed for 2 roles that were worthy of Oscar noms...when he won at least 1 Golden Globe.

~ Sarah Kay

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

Yeah, I just don't get it. She's such an amazing actress and the roles are very demanding. Favorite clone..., hmmm. Casima is the nicest, but Alison and Helena are great for comedic and dramatic impact. I think my favorite is Alison. And I'm very curious about the new one introduced at the end of the second season, not to mention (spoiler alert) the male clones.

Funny story -- my daughter got an A on her college biology paper where she discussed the fact and fiction behind the cloning in Orphan Black. Apparently, the show is actually fairly up to date on the scientific data and the known side effects in the cloning process -- with animals, of course, so far.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I'm not sure it's really difficult for a person whose profession it is to take on different skins, is able to do so -- especially considering the way TV/Movies are able to shot scenes asynchronously.  If Orphan Black were a stage production, she'd have a Tony in her pocket for any one of the episodes.

However, I do enjoy the show and think she's a pretty good actor.

As for favorite clone, it's hard not to like crazy.  Helena is so wonderfully broken, but I think some real sinister development could make Alison steal the show.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, I just don't get it. She's such an amazing actress and the roles are very demanding. Favorite clone..., hmmm. Casima is the nicest, but Alison and Helena are great for comedic and dramatic impact. I think my favorite is Alison. And I'm very curious about the new one introduced at the end of the second season, not to mention (spoiler alert) the male clones.

Funny story -- my daughter got an A on her college biology paper where she discussed the fact and fiction behind the cloning in Orphan Black. Apparently, the show is actually fairly up to date on the scientific data and the known side effects in the cloning process -- with animals, of course, so far.

I can't wait to get to know the young clone and the whole male clone storyline is certain to be some serious nailbiting stuff.  Dammit, that dude is creepy!

Interesting about the cloning accuracy.  I wondered how much of the Science presented on the show was legit.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm not sure it's really difficult for a person whose profession it is to take on different skins, is able to do so -- especially considering the way TV/Movies are able to shot scenes asynchronously.  If Orphan Black were a stage production, she'd have a Tony in her pocket for any one of the episodes.

However, I do enjoy the show and think she's a pretty good actor.

As for favorite clone, it's hard not to like crazy.  Helena is so wonderfully broken, but I think some real sinister development could make Alison steal the show.

Alison has a serious dark side that I'm hoping we see, too.  We saw a glimpse of it with her lack of response to her neighbor's choking to death, sleeping with her spouse, and the substance abuse storyline.  Then the burying of Aldous (love his name.  Total shout-out to Brave New World).

As far as Tatiana's skills...yeah, playing different characters in itself isn't that exceptional, but the fact that she interacts with her other selves...when they are digitally inserted into each scene later...that's what astounds me.  She has chemistry with the other clones and in the scenes with 3 or more of them together I look for instances where the interactions seem manufactured or her focus off, but they simply don't exist.

~ Sarah Kay

JanaLamb

I haven't started watching this show yet, but I've been planning to. Seems that I can't find the right time to do it. I've also been juggling my options on what to watch first.

Increase Speed and Stamina Blog

Charles G

Tatiana Maslany finally did win an Emmy. Looking forward to the next season!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Tatiana Maslany finally did win an Emmy. Looking forward to the next season!

That was the most gleeful I've ever been to see anyone win an Emmy.

~ Sarah Kay