Dogs! (Read 1450 times)

You may also wish to consider a standard poodle. but beware..they are high maintenance dogs...hair cutting, ear hair pulling, nail trimming etc. they are good for people who have allergies as they don't have fur but hair. they were originally bred for hunting and are considered a water dog. Mine likes to go for a run and just about comes unglued when he sees me come out of the bedroom with running gear on. It seems to make him a very happy dog to be able to run. Doing research on dogs before I got him, I was convinced that this was the breed to buy because reviews said they make good running companions. For all of you non-cutters....my poodle has a full tail, the breeder couldn't bring herself to dock them this round. My vet, whose wife breeds them, had never seen a poodle with a full tail. They are also pretty protective. My wife and son were out walking and a pit bull came out to give them grief and the dog went after the pit bull and actually got a good bite in or two. My only fear is if a squirrel or rabbit pops up and he sees it...his brain disengages or rather shifts into full pursuit mode.... Undecided
      Thanks for the good tips about running dogs! I have been leaning more towards dogs that are going to come from the shelter and I have also heard that huskies/husky mixes are really good for running endurance. I will probably not get a dog for a few more months but when I do I will definitely pass on the info about him or her! Smile
        oh..once I had a half wolf/malamute mix that was an absolutely tireless runner who could probably run for days...unfortunately i wasn't smart enough to figure out that i should have been running WITH him instead of watching him run.... Tongue
          I wish I could have a dog now. When I was in HS I had two Siberian Huskies. The female wasn't good for running with but the male was. He was my running partner many mornings. Endless energy.

Michelle

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

I remember in college that almost everyone who walked down one of the streets to the apartment was getting hassled by this mean little terrier. I finally wrote a letter to the owners (not knowing name or phone) about the issue and requesting the dog be leashed (per law). The owners called me back and told me that if I'd say "Julie, mommy doesn't want you to do that" (or something similar) that the dog would back off. I told her that I simply wasn't going to do that and that I'd appreciate them making good and sure the dog was secured. There was no way in hell I was going to say something stupid like that to a DOG! BTW - I love dogs (my old dog, Spooky, is my avatar) and I think rescues are the way to go (Spooky was a rescue and I could talk all day about the amazing things she has done). I miss having one - when I got divorced, I moved to an apartment that doesn't allow pets and my husband bought our house from me and kept the kitties and doggies. I miss them dearly but glad they are safe. I carry the type of pepper spray that has a strap so that it is in your hand and ready to go at any given moment. I haven't used it, but am ready if approached by a suspicious dog or human!

TRUST THE PROCESS

I used to run with a shepherd mix. ( half shep and half lab - we think ) She loved it! Sometimes in the summer, I would wet her down first. But, you do need to be careful when its warm. I couldn't get near my shoes without her going nuts. She loved to run the rock! ( as we called it ) When she was old and sick, I would still do all the "pre run things" and she would still get excited. Only, I would walk her slowly around the block, and drop her back off at the house, while I continued to run without her. WhenI got back, she was always there, waiting for me, and looking kind of sad. I loved that mutt so much!!!!

- Anya

I got my girl Trouble up to about 3 miles. Greyhounds can do the distance if you slowly bring them up. They are super lazy though. She can run when she wants to... But prefers to relax like most greyhounds.
                Teresadfp

One day at a time

I like the "relaxing" photo! We have a collie who can run fast. DH couldn't understand how such a "big" dog could run like that until he saw him dripping wet - he has the build of a greyhound when you look beyond all that fur!
                    Luckily I haven't been bitten yet. I did have to stop for at least a full 3 minutes today while a lady chased her little yapper of a dog around and around me in the street. The dog was having great fun. If I would start to move away he would chase me and bark a little but run away if I went toward him. Then the lady would start chasing him again both of them running around me in circles while i stood there. It was funny at first but quickly got very awkward and annoying.
                      Greyhounds can do the distance if you slowly bring them up. They are super lazy though.
                      Mine can do the distance, as long as the distance is 10 feet or so. Then it's time to stop and check p-mail, and go back to being super lazy. Troublina is looking good Jenn, what nice shiny teeth you have my dear...

E.J.
                      Greater Lowell Road Runners
                      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

JakeKnight

You may also wish to consider a standard poodle.
                        The only dog I've seen run a full marathon was a standard poodle. And at the end, he/she didn't seem even a little tired. Unlike the rest of us.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                        -----------------------------

Maggie & Molly

get this, the other day I'm at a restaurant and the waitress says "hey, I think I know you, you run by my house. She then explains that she is the white house, blah blah blah. I respond with "you are the one with the boxer and the little yappie dog that chases me down the street". She says "yep, that's us, you don't need to worry about the boxer, he's harmless but the little one will bite". My response "you better worry, not me cause if I get bit you will be sued" She did not know what to say and walked away. Stupid people. She knows her dogs run out of her driveway after me yet she does not keep them in the fenced part of her yard. I can not be the only person going by her house.

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
                          Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

I am a dog lover, but I hate yippie dogs. sorry.

- Anya

megerina

After owning hairy dogs for most of 20 years, I consider my Std Poodle low maintenence for grooming, although very high excercise maintenance, which is why I bought her. She makes sure I hoist my tired tush out of bed and get a couple of miles in with her every day. 5 miles leaves the youngster wanting more. We clip face feet and tail only during the winter, and then go with a kennel or field clip during the hotter weather. I bought a pair of clippers for the happy meal a few years back and taught myself how to groom her, and the big poodle is just the same only bigge, rabout an hour every 6 weeks or so. That is a heck of a lot less than the 4 or so coat blows my samoyed and the chow would have and the weekly b rushing that would still leave a mountain of hair. pulling hair out of the ears is just part of owning a dog. My sammy would also get \hair down there. I did learn a trick from a breeder of using chlorasptic before pulling hair if one has a really sensitive dog. I know a guy who ultra's and trains with his poodle. When I talked to him last year he wasn't doing more than 27 miles with his girl, but another year, who knows? FWIW, my toy still will do two-three miles at 14, although in fairneww I am a very slow runner and I will slow to llet her keep up.