Running in the heat (Read 1394 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

That is ONE of the main reason's I'll wear a HRM during the summer. It helps me realize when I'm starting to get dehydrated before I actually start feeling it. And yes dehydration can really affect your heart rate

Finally, a good reason to wear a HRM!

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

#artbydmcbride

You call this heat?  Well back when I was your age we used to run in our sweatsuits when it was this hot outside.  Uphill.  For miles and miles. With no water.  Anyone who slowed down or passed out was left on the side of the road.  If you weren't crusty with your own body salt when you finished, we sent you back out again. Today's runners have it easy with their fancy schmancy wicking clothing, air conditioned gyms, sports drinks and the like. Why don't you just stay inside and play some track and field video games, you pansies.

And get off of my lawn!

Big grin

104° RealFeel® 107°

Runners run

bhearn

That is ONE of the main reason's I'll wear a HRM during the summer. It helps me realize when I'm starting to get dehydrated before I actually start feeling it. And yes dehydration can really affect your heart rate

Not according to Noakes.

Waterlogged: The Serious Problem of Overhydration in Endurance Sports

A couple of interesting claims in this book:

(1) substantial dehydration doesn't impact blood volume

(2) sweat rate is independent of blood flow to the skin

Roadrunner's Apprentice

It's supposed to be 100F here tomorrow (near Philadelphia) but low 70's in the early morning.  Going to try to get up at 6 to take advantage of that and maybe get my long run in.  Then back for coffee and pancakes?  That sounds like a plan!

2014 Goals:

- sub-26 5K : sub-56 10K : 1st half marathon

- Tell my excuses to shut up and lace up...

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

You call this heat?  Well back when I was your age we used to run in our sweatsuits when it was this hot outside.  Uphill.  For miles and miles. With no water.  Anyone who slowed down or passed out was left on the side of the road.  If you weren't crusty with your own body salt when you finished, we sent you back out again. Today's runners have it easy with their fancy schmancy wicking clothing, air conditioned gyms, sports drinks and the like. Why don't you just stay inside and play some track and field video games, you pansies.

And get off of my lawn!

You had sweatsuits? We only dreamed of sweatsuits. We had to find abandoned trashcans and cut out the bottoms, to give us something to wear.

And we only dreamed of sides of the roads. We had to run in the highways, down the middle of the lanes. Dodging cars and lorries.

We dreamed of having patches of dirt - lawns were beyond anything we imagined.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

We dreamed of having patches of dirt - lawns were beyond anything we imagined.

Too soon.

an amazing likeness

GC: House? You were lucky to have a HOUSE! We used to live in one room, all hundred and twenty-six of us, no furniture. Half the floor was missing; we were all huddled together in one corner for fear of FALLING!

TG: You were lucky to have a ROOM! *We* used to have to live in a corridor!

MP: Ohhhh we used to DREAM of livin' in a corridor! Woulda' been a palace to us. We used to live in an old water tank on a rubbish tip. We got woken up every morning by having a load of rotting fish dumped all over us! House!? Hmph.

EI: Well when I say "house" it was only a hole in the ground covered by a piece of tarpolin, but it was a house to US.

GC: We were evicted from *our* hole in the ground; we had to go and live in a lake!

TG: You were lucky to have a LAKE! There were a hundred and sixty of us living in a small shoebox in the middle of the road.

MP: Cardboard box?

TG: Aye.

MP: You were lucky. We lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six o'clock in the morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down mill for fourteen hours a day week in-week out. When we got home, out Dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt!

GC: Luxury. We used to have to get out of the lake at three o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of hot gravel, go to work at the mill every day for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would beat us around the head and neck with a broken bottle, if we were LUCKY!

TG: Well we had it tough. We used to have to get up out of the shoebox at twelve o'clock at night, and LICK the road clean with our tongues. We had half a handful of freezing cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at the mill for fourpence every six years, and when we got home, our Dad would slice us in two with a bread knife.

EI: Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, (pause for laughter), eat a lump of cold poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad would kill us, and dance about on our graves singing "Hallelujah."

MP: But you try and tell the young people today that... and they won't believe ya'.

ALL: Nope, nope..

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

MT, you beat me to it! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Feeling the growl again

Not according to Noakes.

I'll take Rocken in that matchup.  Wink

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

bhearn

But is there a matchup / debate? Seriously, if those two claims above have any substance to them, I need to understand it better, because I have always assumed the opposite. I'm only halfway through the book. As usual Noakes is kind of a pain to read, but the book is somewhat eye opening for me.

Feeling the growl again

But is there a matchup / debate? Seriously, if those two claims above have any substance to them, I need to understand it better, because I have always assumed the opposite. I'm only halfway through the book. As usual Noakes is kind of a pain to read, but the book is somewhat eye opening for me.

The comment was meant to communicate the lack of credibility Noakes has with me.  He has the annoying habit of using some real science when it supports the position he wants supported, then using "science" (typically complete conjecture on his part) to fill in the gaps when there is either not research to support his point or the real research does not support it.  

I've conversed with the guy, and I work with real scientists on a daily basis, and the distance between he and them is profound.

If he presents evidence in the book, look it up and make sure it did not come from him or his grad students.  If it did not, it's worth looking at.  For example on the central governor stuff, virtually all of the work I looked up that claimed to support it was done (poorly) by Noakes and his grad students.  Any that was done independently did not support his conclusions.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Queen of 3rd Place

Maybe you were slower and sluggish this morning because you finished your other run only 9 hours earlier. 

Maybe you weren't recovered.

snip 

For me, it's hard to believe that 99* in the evening could be EASIER than 65* in the morning unless there are other factors involved.

I've tried back-to-back am runs as well, am runs after a rest day...it's always the same, always a drag. Maybe it's because like Craig S I'm old and creaky, and the age and creakiness are more of a problem in the am. Or it's an attitude thing...very possible...which would also explain why races are not a problem. No matter. 

Point being, running when it's quite hot is just fine if (1) you can stay in the shade and probably (2) you live someplace with low humidity. 

Ex runner

Slice

How do you even do any speed training in the summer? I really want to PR in a 5k in the next couple months, but currently anything faster than about 8:30 feels like I'm sprinting. Until I check my watch. Then I'm sorely disappointed.

I don't half-ass anything

"I have several close friends who have run marathons, a word that is actually derived from two Swahili words: mara, which means 'to die a horrible death' and thon, which means 'for a stupid T-shirt.' Look it up." - Celia Rivenbark, You Can't Drink All Day if You Don't Start in the Morning

Feeling the growl again

How do you even do any speed training in the summer? I really want to PR in a 5k in the next couple months, but currently anything faster than about 8:30 feels like I'm sprinting. Until I check my watch. Then I'm sorely disappointed.

I save the real intervals for the treadmill, and even that is a challenge as it's still pretty warm there.

I try to do what I did on my lunch run today...short but very fast intervals (100-200m).  Usually with full recovery.  You stay in touch with your speed but don't overheat so badly.

If you're racing in the heat though, I'd think you'd have to train in the heat to prepare yourself.  I totally bonked on a 5K on the fourth of July...it was 90 degrees and 80% humidity at the 8AM start.  My mile splits were 5:40, 5:50, 6:30 (yes, that's not a typo...that's a 40 second split the wrong way) for an 18:38 overall.  By sheer dumb luck, my track/interval work has been fortunately cool so far this year.  I just don't think I've logged enough miles in the heat to be ready to race in the heat.  If your 5K is a couple months away, then maybe you can count on cooler conditions but if it is going to be hot, I'd think you'd want to train in the conditions you'll race in.  Similarly, I've always heard that you should run in the mornings since 99% of races are are in the AM.