Gah...we think my dad had a stroke this AM! (Read 681 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

How is your dad today? Probably too early to have heard anything...but please keep us posted.
    No news yet, but I will probably call my sister's cell in a bit. They are an hour behind us, so I don't want to risk waking anyone. I'm sure everyone is exhausted. It took me a long while to fall asleep myself, last night, even after taking an Ambien. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Sorry to hear about your father! Maybe this is the wake up call he needed (sometimes things have to be drastic) for him to make the changes he needs to. Your family will be in my thoughts hun!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

How is your dad doing?

Michelle

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

So far, so good--thanks for checking. Smile He was discharged yesterday, so now the battle to get him off cigarettes for good is at hand. There is also some concern that he may have suffered some degree of brain damage as one side of his brain was getting greatly reduced blood flow until the surgery to clear his artery was performed. I guess this is one of those "time will tell" situations. k

~ Sarah Kay

I hope he does quit smoking. All things considered it's good that he had this warning early enough to prevent things from getting worse. My ex-MIL had a series of Stenosis type of strokes and from what I understand they can't be stopped once they form, but with meds she can keep them from forming. Her rehab was rough at first since she was so devasted, her pride was bruised. I cried after seeing her in the hospital after the first series, she couldn't form her words and it was clear she had lots to say. She only stumbles on words from time to time now. She went through a time of depression, which was rough on everyone, but she's much better now. Last year I lost an aunt (on my dad's side) to another series of strokes, she was 52. Her first one was about 7 years ago and it was severe. It took her a good year to rehab to walking and talking after that. She was crushed mostly about how she couldn't ride her horse any more, so she gave him away. It was heartbreaking. Throughout all of this she didn't quit smoking. I'll never ever understand.

Michelle

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Throughout all of this she didn't quit smoking. I'll never ever understand.
              I don't get it, either. A good friend of mine is watching her mom die from lung cancer caused by years of smoking. My friend's mom is an RN and my friend also still smokes. I can't fathom why anyone would not do everything in their power to quit...especially as there are so many treatment options, now...patches, gum, prescription meds. I'm so glad it's nothing I ever had any interest in even trying. As it is I am mildly asthmatic (I'm sure thanks to my folks having both smoked around me as a kid--second hand smoke wasn't considered dangerous back in the day), so if the carcinogens didn't kill me the breathing issues would. k

~ Sarah Kay

I don't get it, either. A good friend of mine is watching her mom die from lung cancer caused by years of smoking. My friend's mom is an RN and my friend also still smokes. I can't fathom why anyone would not do everything in their power to quit...especially as there are so many treatment options, now...patches, gum, prescription meds. I'm so glad it's nothing I ever had any interest in even trying. As it is I am mildly asthmatic (I'm sure thanks to my folks having both smoked around me as a kid--second hand smoke wasn't considered dangerous back in the day), so if the carcinogens didn't kill me the breathing issues would. k
                I never tried, never had an interest. I got to the point where I hated the way it made my ex-husband smell, it was a like an instant temper flare for me. I wish my ex would quit smoking, the kids keep begging him to stop. My dad's second third wife lost her life to lung cancer and she never quit, or even tried to quit smoking.

Michelle

They continue because the "It happens to other people, but not me" attitude. My kids tried that attitude on me once. I asked them who they were as they absolutely were not me, so that must make them "other people" then I pointed to a grave yard and told them that it was filled with people that thought and said that it happens to "other people" Then of course I ignored generations of family history and 3 years or more of symptoms of diabetes, thinking it had to be something else as this just couldn't happen to me!!!

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

You'll ruin your knees!

From Washington University in St Louis School of Medicine... Surgery: Pulmonary Thoracic News Stories & Tip Sheets: Smoking after lung cancer More than one third of lung cancer patients resume smoking after surgery Dec. 22, 2006 -- Smoking is a powerful addiction. A study at the School of Medicine shows that even after lung cancer surgery, some patients return to smoking within a year. Amazing...not sure we'll ever understand the power of tobacco over smokers! Uhhh, well, maybe we can...I've had 2 Orthopedic Surgeons tell me that I couldn't run, but I do... Confused Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

They continue because the "It happens to other people, but not me" attitude.
                      You know, I was just telling a friend of mine the other day that my dad is a lot like a teenager in this.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Amazing...not sure we'll ever understand the power of tobacco over smokers! Uhhh, well, maybe we can...I've had 2 Orthopedic Surgeons tell me that I couldn't run, but I do... Confused Lynn B
                        But at least you know running is still GOOD for you and won't ever kill you--well, unless you were to get hit by a car or mauled by a bear on a trail. Maybe we should call YOU "bear poop." Wink k

~ Sarah Kay