I know this is stupid...but (Read 146 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Wow I can't believe it showed up on the x-ray. It must have been fairly far along already. I'm happy you went to the doctor: if you tried to run a half with it that bad, you risked a fracture.

I'm really sorry about the injuries. Many runners, pro and am, have had to quit prematurely because of injuries. I wouldn't necessarily make the decision right now about what the future looks like though. In 3 months, you may feel like giving it a go again. On the other hand, you may decide you can't go through this all again and quit for good.

Either way, best of luck of to you.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

robin from maine

I am so sorry to hear this, and sympathize with your disappointment.

A colleague of mine who is probably half my age (I am 71) finally figured she needed to quit running because of bone on bone arthritis in her knees, and chronic pain. Only you can make the decision that is right for you.

Good luck.

GinnyinPA

Christirei - I am sorry. I have some idea of how you feel. When I started running, I did too much too soon and developed a pelvic stress fracture (maybe?) while training for my first HM.  I was off running for 7 months before I could run without pain. I got my mileage back up and signed up for another race. I developed a different pain in the same region. I didn't think it was a sfx, but from the symptoms thought it was osteitis pubis. I didn't see a doctor then since I knew he would just tell me to rest. I did. Five months later I could run without pain, except for an occasional twinge. I finally ran my first half. Six months later I developed hamstring issues. I continued to run since they were intermittent and not bad enough to stop me. I wondered, though whether I was too old and too fragile to keep running. I am stubborn, so I did. I ran 5 marathons over the next 5 years with only intermittent hamstring and glute pain that would flare up for a while, then ease if I avoided speedwork and too many hills. Covid stopped my racing, but not my running. I did eventually go back to the orthopedist who had diagnosed the initial stress fracture. From the x-ray, he said he saw no sign of a sfx,  but my self-diagnosis of osteitis was probably correct. That area was lit up. Bottom line, you may be able to continue running, but only you can know whether the risk is worth it to you. I need running for my mental and physical health. There are other ways I cab get exercise, but running is the most time effective outdoor exercise for me. YMMV

DebraBigelow

Nice, I really enjoy your post.