I am Spartacus!!! (Read 1588 times)

jeffdonahue

No, not really I guess, but I strive to look like those guys.  I was motivated when my wife told me the other day that I had a "nice ab", meaning that you cant see a six pack adn my gut looks like one big ab muscle.

I started doing the "Spartacus Workout" that I found in Men's Health yesterday.  it's amazing how out of shape I feel when I actually do some weight lifting type exercises, and this routine kicked my butt.  I used pretty light weights and today it feels like somebody took a bat to both my quads.

Anyone else try this workout?  It is a circuit training workout with 9 exercises that you do each for 1 minute, with 15 seconds rest in between.

Oh roo roooo!

I have nothing at all useful to contribute but wanted to thank you for reminding me--several years ago we rented this show and for weeks afterwards, hubby and I went around the house thumping our chests and proclaiming "I'M Spartacus!" or at times "I'M Fartacus!", depending on which seemed appropriate....class acts, both of us....anyway, got a good laugh remembering.
        Keep up the good work Jeff, you'll be carving that ab up into ablets in no time and running that Baystate BQ shirtless.

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

jeffdonahue

"I'M Fartacus!",  

If you have kids, this reminds me of a show they happened to be watching this week - "Ned's Declassified" and it just happened that his girlfriend farted in front of the class while they were learning about Spartacus.  Ned took the blame and declared "I'm Fartacus!" and pretty soon teh whole class was declaring "No, I'm Fartacus". 

My son thought it was hilarious.

xhristopher

I'M Fartacus!

I'll be using this exclamation over the weekend, so thanks! Well, my son and I thank you. My wife, well, not so much.

To Jeff's point ... I'm looking for something to further develop my ab too. Does this program promise massive results with little or no effort like everything I see on tv? Seriously, I'm looking to add something similar but need something I'll stick to.

Keep up the good work Jeff, you'll be carving that ab up into ablets in no time and running that Baystate BQ shirtless.

Hopefully you won't be too cold when you do this.

jeffdonahue

To Jeff's point ... I'm looking for something to further develop my ab too. Does this program promise massive results with little or no effort like everything I see on tv? Seriously, I'm looking to add something similar but need something I'll stick to.

Nope, requires some serious effort here.  It is a pretty tough workout.  If you do a google search for "Spartacus Workout" you can find a link to it on the Men's Health website.  My plan is to do it Mon, Wed, and Fri every week to see what I can make happen to my ab.

I also need to watch my diet more, but that's a whole different issue. 

jeffdonahue

Hopefully you won't be too cold when you do this.

Shouldnt be too cold  - besides, since we are going for the same time, I had planned on drafting off you the entire way. 

bhearn

I am Spartacus -- or at least I used to be half of Spartacus, 20 years ago.

Half Fanatic #846

Does this program promise massive results with little or no effort like everything I see on tv?

"Carve 6-pack abs in bed while you sleep..."  -  that's the TV gimmick scientific device I want to buy! 

Seriously, that a quote from an ad I've seen several times.

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Abs are made in the kitchen, not the weight room.

Abs are made in the kitchen, not the weight room.

+1.  Although it's nice to have some toned muscles to unveil when the padding is finally removed.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

xor

Abs are made in the kitchen,.

and beans are burned on the grill.

There's a six pack and a one pack, and that's fine.  For awhile in my yoot, I had a 5 pack.  Seriously, I could see 3 on one side, but only 2 on the other.  Weird.

Of course, I also spent time with a 40 instead of any kind of "pack". 

and beans are burned on the grill.

No, beans don't burn on the grill.

Trust me, took a whole lotta tryin', just to get up that hill.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

xor

Ah, but you see... the first part is supposed to be "fish don't fry in the kitchen..." but because I was swiping a post that indicated a positive thing, I chose to recast the second half too.

No fried fish -> no burnt beans

shaped abs -> burnt (burned?) beans

12-week layoff

Anyone else try this workout?  It is a circuit training workout with 9 exercises that you do each for 1 minute, with 15 seconds rest in between.

Hubby has been doing Sparticus a couple of times a week since the magazine issue came out.  Amazing how many times I have heard him say, "I am Sparticus" in the past several months.  I shall have to remember to call him Farticus the next time. 

Anyhow, it is a fantastic workout.  I'm pleased with the results.