first 50k and it's a trail race NJ Trail Series 3/24/12 (Read 1072 times)

I've run a couple of marathons so I'm not terrified of the distance (really)... but I've registered for my first 50k in March as part of the NJ Ultra Trail  Series on March 24th and they've gone ahead and changed the locations on me.  It's now being held at the NJ State Fair Grounds in Augusta, NJ and based on the pics, looks to be significantly more technical than the prior location in Spring Lake, NJ (I think).

One problem, I've never run a trail race and likely won't train on trails. I am heading out to get trail shoes as my concession to this course, ugh.   I will add, I have no interest in racing this but rather finishing it in a position other than DFL.  Am I an idiot to attempt this and is anybody familiar with this course?

I've run a couple of marathons so I'm not terrified of the distance (really)... but I've registered for my first 50k in March as part of the NJ Ultra Trail  Series on March 24th and they've gone ahead and changed the locations on me.  It's now being held at the NJ State Fair Grounds in Augusta, NJ and based on the pics, looks to be significantly more technical than the prior location in Spring Lake, NJ (I think).

One problem, I've never run a trail race and likely won't train on trails. I am heading out to get trail shoes as my concession to this course, ugh.   I will add, I have no interest in racing this but rather finishing it in a position other than DFL.  Am I an idiot to attempt this and is anybody familiar with this course?

Dari,

From what I understand they will be doing a lot of clearing and it should really  be not much different than it would have been in the other location. Have you pm'd Rick with your concerns? 

MTA: There was only a small section last year if memory serves me well that was even on the roads. I have no doubt that not only will you finish it but you will not even be close to DFL

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Hey Pam, I totally appreciate the vote of confidence.  I would never bail on a race but want to know what to expect as much as I can without ever having been there.  I didn't know how accurate the photos on the site were.  I will def contact the RD about the details.  Thanks so much.  Are you doing this one, as well?

Hey Pam, I totally appreciate the vote of confidence.  I would never bail on a race but want to know what to expect as much as I can without ever having been there.  I didn't know how accurate the photos on the site were.  I will def contact the RD about the details.  Thanks so much.  Are you doing this one, as well?

Yes I'll be doing the 50 miler. I signed up before the switch as well.  I've ran  at 3 days at the fair, though they aren't using that course. I'm expecting it to be a relatively easy trail course, though I could totally be wrong.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Ojo

You are going to be fine -- just take it slow over the areas that have rougher terrain if you are feeling unsure.  I have a feeling that even these areas aren't going to be that bad.  The pictures show what looks like dirt roads/tracks -- the only consolation might be that you have to look down more than usual and might miss some of the scenery!  Big grin

It is going to be a fun weekend! 

Sara

MM #2929

You are going to be fine -- just take it slow over the areas that have rougher terrain if you are feeling unsure.  I have a feeling that even these areas aren't going to be that bad.  The pictures show what looks like dirt roads/tracks -- the only consolation might be that you have to look down more than usual and might miss some of the scenery!  Big grin

It is going to be a fun weekend! 

Yes, it will be a blast, regardless!  I can't wait.

On On

First let me say that it will be a blast and you won't be DFL.  Even if you are, who cares, have a beer and cheer on those still on the course.

As for the actual course.  It is just as flat as the course from last year but the trail is much less improved.  We are going to go out and make sure the trail is clear of any major brush but you do have to remember you are on a trail and not a road.

Some of the course is very runnable, you don't even have to look down.  Other parts have been traveled over by horses or ATVs and are slightly more difficult to traverse.

Either way, I hope you have fun during the race and enjoy the weekend.

First let me say that it will be a blast and you won't be DFL.  Even if you are, who cares, have a beer and cheer on those still on the course.

As for the actual course.  It is just as flat as the course from last year but the trail is much less improved.  We are going to go out and make sure the trail is clear of any major brush but you do have to remember you are on a trail and not a road.

Some of the course is very runnable, you don't even have to look down.  Other parts have been traveled over by horses or ATVs and are slightly more difficult to traverse.

I've only ran one of your race's Rick  where I didn't have a blast and that had nothing to do with you or the race/course. CAN"T wait until March 24th!

ok, ok... I shall shut the hell up forthwith and just keep training so I'm not DFL and have more time for beering & cheering on the course!  Thanks for the info, look forward to meetimg everyone...

On On

I also want to stress this is a great weekend to just camp and hang out with other runners.   Come on out on Friday, set up your tent, go racing on Saturday and stay overnight again on Saturday.  Bring some beers to enjoy while you watch the 100 Mile racers run through the night.

Bring your friends and family too.  Should be a great weekend for everyone.

ultramarathon/triathlete

I did one of the NJ Trail marathons (the Watchung, early Jan).  It rocked! 

I did't wear "trail shoes" --just ran in what I usually run marathons in:  Asics DS trainer.   Like you, I also don't train on trails.

I twisted my ankles a few times, fell a few times, got a few blisters.  Overall, nothing serious and I doubt trail-specific shoes would have changed anything.

I missed first place by 6-ish minutes, and only because I got lost and ran 28.4 miles.  I say this half to brag, but half to note that it can be done w/o trail training and w/o trail shoes.  Big grin  And without any trail racing experience (er, I did say I got lost though). 

It was a blast.  Most scenic race I've done and one of the most fun.  I will very likely be running in that trail series you mentioned as well, as long as my weekends line up (lots of upcoming weddings that require travel).

Good Luck!  And don't sweat it too much :-)

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                        Gatorade Endurance Team

well, Kosher Dave... it just so happens I run in ds-trainers, as well!  Thanks for input... will probably buy trail shoes if only to have them in the shoe stable but will def consider the ds-trainers on "race" day as they are light and I'm so used to them...

On On

Not sure who is looking for a good 50K this weekend or even a 10M, 20M or 50M but the weather looks to be amazing for the Febapple on Feb 25, this Sat.

Website is linked in my signature, go to the Febapple on the left hand side navigation.

You have a couple more hours to sign up online if you want to save the hassle on race day.

Should be a great time.  We will have around 250 runners between the 4 distances.