Girls on the run (Read 162 times)

tomatolover

I'm wondering if any of you have had experience with girls on the run, as a volunteer or as a parent. I would like to get involved in such a group as a volunteer, but the more I read about the organization and its overhead costs (175$/kid) and its curriculum, the more I am dissuaded from volunteering my time.

my questions:

1. If you have participated in girls on the run as either a parent or volunteer or Coach, what have your experiences been? you have participated in girls on the run as either a parent or volunteer or Coach, what have your experiences been?

2.  If you have been a participant or a parent in another organization similar to girls on the run, but not GOT, what was it?

3. If you've heard about any similar program designed for high school girls, what is it?  Apparently track takes over when the girls get into high school, but I'm interested in participating in a program to get girls running for runnings sake (not just competition).

thanks!

Dream Maker

I went through training on GOTR for this next season because I'm excited to get my daughter involved.  

The curriculum focuses on not just plain running - though they train to run a 5k in a fun manner- but on self esteem, friendship, dealing with emotions, inclusion, etc.  It's really nice, especially for girls dealing with pre-puberty.  (3-5 grade is the plain GOTR program, and they have a separate one for middle school too)  It's more focused on running as a lifetime hobby and coping mechanism than as a competitive sport.

The GOTR is a non-profit program.  If a girl's family cannot afford the program, the cost is discounted or removed entirely. There are a lot of girls participating for free or reduced cost.  Some schools are exclusively that. The cost includes the training, twice weekly for 90 minutes each, and the 5K event entry for the girl. I don't know about around you, but even if you're not reduced cost, it's cheaper than a lot of extracurricular activities.  (I know gymnastics was $60/month for a single day 1 hour class, swimming was $130 a month for two days one hour a week when my daughter did those... kids mixed martial arts is $140 a month.)  

I've taught other kids fitness classes through the YMCA and helped out with a program for running explicitly at the school.  I think GOTR is better.

helldell

Yeah. Girls also contribute to running.

pillowmaker

Yes, I have participated as a volunteer and the experience is really awesome.