Has anyone ever managed to unsubscribe from Active.com's email list (Read 175 times)

xhristopher

I always follow the link and opt out but keep getting emails. I've been trying to manage this for a while. It's almost a bad joke that I can't.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Sure!  activecom.stadjak@spamgourmet.com  Then I just turned off the disposable email address after the race.

Come'on X, you know better than to give any company your real email address.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

A Saucy Wench

Hmmm....

amen to stadjak's post.  i dont go so far as to have disposable email, but I have an email account that I use specifically for online shopping.  I never ever look at it.  I'll flag stuff like race registrations immediately on registration, but the rest just gets ignored.  About once a year I dump the oldest 15000 messages to trash

If something like that DOES get sent to my real email.  Or my secondary email (reserved for stuff I might want but dont want cluttering up my real world ) I just block it, I dont bother unsubscribing.  Straight to the spamorator.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

I think I have ... I don't remember the last time I got spam from Active. I just checked my spam folder of both email accounts and nothing there either, which covers the last 30 days.

It probably doesn't help that we use Active to renew our GLRR memberships, which sort of requires a permanent email address.

Runners run

Prince of Fatness

Like Enaay I have a separate email address that I use for shopping, mailing list subscriptions, etc.  Honestly though I might get two or three emails a month from Active, not enough to worry about.

Not at it at all. 

xhristopher

Sure!  activecom.stadjak@spamgourmet.com  Then I just turned off the disposable email address after the race.

Come'on X, you know better than to give any company your real email address.

I've used throw away emails with no issues but the problem is that I must use active to manage real life activities like registering for races and stuff. It's kinda a necessary evil. If I use a throw away email for that other issues could arise like missing important updates, etc... I don't want to manage multiple email accounts either. I just want subscription preferences to work as advertised.

Boycotting active is not really an alternative for me unless I want to miss out on some of the finer things in life like more races. I'm not willing to be that asshole who complains to race committees about how they should conduct their business.

bap

Only when I complained directly.

Certified Running Coach
                Crocked since 2013

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I've used throw away emails with no issues but the problem is that I must use active to manage real life activities like registering for races and stuff. It's kinda a necessary evil. If I use a throw away email for that other issues could arise like missing important updates, etc... I don't want to manage multiple email accounts either. I just want subscription preferences to work as advertised.

Boycotting active is not really an alternative for me unless I want to miss out on some of the finer things in life like more races. I'm not willing to be that asshole who complains to race committees about how they should conduct their business.

I realize this doesn't exactly fit your situation, but I get free karma for advertising this free service I love:

Spamgourmet allows you to:

1) whitelist domains where you actually want to receive emails from on that address.  In other words, you could whitelist "glrr.org" or whatever, and still get emails, but not from anyone else for that address

2) you can turn the address back on -- as I do, when I register for a new race

3) you can send emails "from" the disposable address if you need to

Note: it isn't exactly pain-free, as some sites *cough RA* have had trouble with parsing the address in the past.  I think Eric was nice enough to fix it for me, but not all admins are as nice.

If you use gmail, you could always setup a blacklist: http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2006/08/create-email-blacklist-in-gmail.html

As for getting Active to do what they are supposed to do -- harassing them over the phone is probably the best approach.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I've been using spamgourmet.com for years.  Feel free to send me a message at xoutactive.corno@xoxy.net.  I'll get the first three emails; any after that will go into a black hole.

You make up addresses like that on the fly, too; no need to log in to spamgourmet once you set it up.

A Saucy Wench

I don't want to manage multiple email accounts either. I just want subscription preferences to work as advertised.

This is active we are talking about.  ACTIVE.  You can't get what YOU want, you can only decide how to respond
                       which is a) boycott active, b) have more than one email acct./temp accts. or c) put up with Spam.  Choice d of wanting things to work as advertised is not available when dealing with ACTIVE.

And monitor your credit cards closely.   Assholes charged my credit card the "membership fee" scam a full TWO years after my final active registration.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Does everyone here like Active?

Prince of Fatness

If you use gmail, you could always setup a blacklist: http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2006/08/create-email-blacklist-in-gmail.html

The link is 8 years old and I don't think applicable to the current user interface (could not get it to copy / paste correctly from the "To" box).  You can still use filters, but a simple blacklist applet where I could add and remove addresses would make life much easier.  Hell, even Microsoft provides that with my Hotmail account.  I use Thunderbird so I do not have to deal with Google's mail interface.

Not at it at all. 

With Gmail virtually everything the spam filter misses winds up in my "Promotions" Tab rather than my inbox. I look at that maybe once or twice a week and generally just delete all unless there is something worth noting.

Really I have zero issue with spam these days, from active or anyone else.

I can't imagine using a mail client on purpose in 2014. I wish at work I could use Gmail rather than Outlook. I get spoiled by the search capabilities and never having to really categorize anything.

Runners run

BeeRunB

Does everyone here like Active?

Many of us here at RA came in the 2007 mass exodus from CoolRunning, when Active bought it and changed it to something we didn't like. When signing up for races, I like to pay directly to the race if I can before paying the extra to gatekeeper, Active, so I can pay for the race. Sometimes, you have to deal with them though; I would rather not because of the shenanigans they've pulled over the years with things like email and confusing opt-out, opt-in stuff about subscriptions when registering for a race. They were bought out by another company last year. Perhaps, there will be positive changes.

I like RA. It's home.

Prince of Fatness

I can't imagine using a mail client on purpose in 2014. I wish at work I could use Gmail rather than Outlook. I get spoiled by the search capabilities and never having to really categorize anything.

I guess that I am old school.  I cannot stand the Gmail interface (grouping messages in conversations for instance).  Thunderbird does what I need it to, prefer it over Outlook.

Not at it at all.