Nose Running! (Read 945 times)

scaddell

Off the wall question, but I wondered if anybody else has a problem with their noses running (abundently) while starting their run? Other than covering my shirt with snot Tongue is there a good way to stop or help this?
    Scout7

Not so much right at the start, but generally within the first 10-15 minutes or so. Blow your nose. A lot. Snot rockets are fun, exciting, and a great party trick. I would try to work on distance first, then accuracy. People LOVE when you lean to your side and shoot one on their shoes...... Ok, the last part may not QUITE be true. But the first part is. Blowing out is better than having it all drain down the back of your throat and setting off your gag reflex (in a race, this really REALLY sucks!!!!). Oh, and for the record, this is not the topic I thought it was going to be. I was thinking of some new bizarre training regimen...
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have that issue, at least since it's cold in these parts right now. I bring a cotton hanky with me that I use to deal with the runny nose and sweat. I run with a cotton hanky year-round, as during the warmer months it's the best thing for wiping my sweaty face, arms, neck, etc. Then it gets laundered with the rest of my running stuff. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Scout7

I bring a cotton hanky with me that I use to deal with the runny nose and sweat. I run with a cotton hanky year-round, as during the warmer months it's the best thing for wiping my sweaty face, arms, neck, etc. Then it gets laundered with the rest of my running stuff. k
          An alternative to that is an old pair of socks. When it's cold, they make decent gloves, if you ditch them, who cares, and they're pretty absorbent and soft enough to wipe often. I like old cotton gym socks.

Now that was a bath...

I thought that it was going to be a technique where you lean forward in an extreme manner to get your body over the finish line faster. Why I wanted to read that 'particular' topic I don't know. But hey, I'm a little hungry for further improvement. I blow before I run and haven't had any problems during. Maybe it's more of a winter problem?
          • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
          • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Maybe it's more of a winter problem?
              Yep, definitely. As soon as the temps dropped below 50 or so I started dealing with this. Does help my sinuses, though. I haven't had nearly the Winter stuffiness that I normally deal with. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

RunningHammer

Constantly ... it's a real pain. I have to run with tissues in my pocket, and i blow my nose a lot to the point where if i don't it starts to impede my breathing and adversely affect my pace. And it does seem to be worse in the winter (which passes for anything under 10 deg C here)
                  I never had a problem until a very cold day during a trail race. I finally let the snot rockets fly. It's not the most ladylike thing in the world, but very effective. I'm not sure how to prevent the runny nose, but that's how I deal with it!
                  Scout7

I never had a problem until a very cold day during a trail race. I finally let the snot rockets fly. It's not the most ladylike thing in the world, but very effective. I'm not sure how to prevent the runny nose, but that's how I deal with it!
                    Trail runners are an odd breed. I'm sure some of them found it quite sexy.
                    Pedrn921

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39213150&memberId=12500226&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1 This might be worth trying! Christa
                        I use a wrist sweat band to wipe my nose, and rotate it around my wrist as I use it. I prefer Under Armor brand, sincce the materail is much softer than regular Terry-type cotton. My gloves also work - and are very similar to those in the site mentioned above. Silly technical question here - I've read stories about snot shots, but what is the technique exactly? Sounds awful!
                        Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
                          I found a balaclava at my local REI. For those who don't know what a balaclava is, it is head gear which is not much different from a ski mask, but it's made of polyester, nylon, and lycra. It has a piece that covers the mouth and nose, but includes breathing holes for both. If the weather warms up, this piece can be folded under. It solved my runny nose problems.
                          Gig

Silly technical question here - I've read stories about snot shots, but what is the technique exactly? Sounds awful!
                            Hold your finger over one nostril, and force the air (and snot) out the other. It works great. I use that, plus a small piece of a rag that I keep in my back pocket if I have one. The more cold weather running I do, the less of an issue it becomes.

Dog-Love

Warm air contains a lot more water vapor than does cold air and when that warm air from your lungs is exposed to the nose cells in the cold it loses its water and thats why you drip alot. You don't notice this on hot days because there is less of a temp gradient. Also on warm days breathing through your nose is a great way to conserve water since the air comes out cooler than if you breath through your mouth and the water stays in your blood. On the other hand you can get rid of xs heat when you are running by breathing through your mouth (thats how dogs lose heat) but you do end up losing more water. Probably TMI
                              Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

Me and my gang in Breck

My nose really ran today. It's getting cold. I try to keep it dry wiping my nose with my cotton glove after every snot rocket but it still got a little chapped around the edges. Embarrassed A little chilly north of Boston this morning. Waited for the sun to warm up as much as possible. Ran the state forest today to try and get out of the wind. Ran 15 of the most amazing miles today. Most of the mud was frozen and their was a little snow in the shaded parts of the woods. Didn't see another soul for the entire 2 hours. All I could hear was the wind in the trees and the crunch under my sneakers. This is why I love to run. Just awesome!

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Neitzsche "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go." "Dedication and commitment are what transfer dreams into reality."