Men's Wear - Running in the Rain (Read 1346 times)

va

Newbie Question: Do races get cancelled due to rain? What do you guys wear if you're running in the rain? Can you recommend any good jackets? I figure you'd want something that keeps you dry, yet breathes. Do you wear a hood or some form of brimmed hat? I guess it would be nice to keep the rain off your face. Any pictures of specific items or links to web-sites would be greatly appreciated.
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Races are cancelled for thunder and lightning. Often not even then. I wear in the rain what I wear in the sun. Moisure wicking clothes, including socks, shorts and shirt. If it is sunny, they get wet from sweat. If it is raining, they get wet from rain. I never ever wear a jacket. I do have a windbreaker vest with reflective material that I wear at night, more for reflectivity than for warmth, wind protection or rain protection. Nothing wrong with a little (or a lot of) rain. Rain on your face feels good. Rain on your face feels better than sweat on your face. Rain on your face feels far better than an unnecessary hood or visor.
      Wingz

Professional Noob

Ah, but a visor keeps the rain off your glasses... Of course, you could leave the glasses at home, but then you couldn't see... Wink Getting out there in the rain is the hardest part of running in the rain. Once you're already wet, you might as well enjoy it! Big grin

Roads were made for journeys...

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Always start right before the rain Wink When it is raining, I cannot see, glasses or not. So my glasses go into my pocket. And off I go...
          va

...I wear in the rain what I wear in the sun. Moisure wicking clothes, including socks, shorts and shirt...
            Let me change the question a little. What do you wear if its raining and cold (32 > temp < 50)? wingz, good point about glasses. i wear them too. 50)?="" wingz,="" good="" point="" about="" glasses.="" i="" wear="" them="" too.=""></ 50)? wingz, good point about glasses. i wear them too. >
              Light breathable shoes with very thin socks [better than having water sloshing around], windbreaker pants, wicking tee, wooly/acrylic hat... and on the top layer... it depends - if it is light rain a sweatshirt is fine. Otherwise a very light waterproof jacket. Breatheable tops do not really work in heavy rain. You get totally soaked.
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Socks...definitely go for Smartwools. Hell, they are the best in ANY weather, but I ran a chilly, wet, windy Race for the Cure 5k last Fall. My feet stayed warm and mostly dry in those babies. I think it was ~40-50ยบ and I had on just a wicking top and capri-length tights. I had a waterproof shell that I wore until right before the start, just tied it around my waist. And I pretty much always wear a wicking baseball type cap with a brim when the weather is warmer (when it's cooler I wear a wicking beanie thing or a fleece hat). k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Scout7

I get very warm, very quickly. I've long searched for a jacket that would protect me from the rain while I was running. It took me a while, but I discovered something.... It doesn't much matter, since I'm going to be wet from sweating anyway. I have a Pearl Izumi Zephhr jacket, and one from Adidas (the joys of outlet shopping). The Adidas one is thinner, has a nice pocket in the back, and lots of ventilation mesh. The PI one is tighter, no vents, no pockets. If it's bitterly cold out, with a nasty wind, I'm going with the PI. If it's raining, then I'm just wearing what I would normally wear. Maybe an extra layer. If it's cold and raining, then I'm wearing waterproof gloves, because my fingers will freeze otherwise. Serius makes some decent all-weather gloves. As for a hat, I have a Nike Dri-Fit hat I wear. Shoes are probably gonna be the Gore-Tex Adidas.
                  JakeKnight

Races are cancelled for thunder and lightning. Often not even then.
                    Have you ever actually seen a race be canceled? I heard the CMM was delayed one year - or am I confusing it with some other marathon?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                    -----------------------------

You'll ruin your knees!

Generally no, but I have seen a race cancelled because of a hurricane...destroyed a large section of trail in the Blue Ridge mountains. Also, races out West have been cancelled due to forest fires. I have run races in hailstorms, complete with lightning and heavy winds, no discussion of cancellation... (disclaimer: races in this post were all trail races). Oh, about what to wear, I have a couple of jackets made by Marmot (Precept, I believe). They are waterproof and are breathable, but I still sweat up inside...sweat running out the wrist openings... even in cooler weather. Understand that you probably won't find anything to keep you totally dry, but you will want something to keep the wind off your body. Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Have you ever actually seen a race be canceled? I heard the CMM was delayed one year - or am I confusing it with some other marathon?
                        CMM was delayed in 2004 for 30 minutes due to the race management not being able to get all the shuttles from the stadium to the start line in time thunder and lightning at the start. I am aware of only one race being cancelled, but I cannot remember what it was. A 5k I think. I have a Marmot shell. I could not possibly imagine wearing it to run, just too stifling.
                        Jill_B

I fly.

I ran a 10K in NYC once that was changed from a race to a "fun run" after only 60 people showed up because there was about 10 inches of snow on the ground and it was still falling fast. I still ran it though. Just shows how stubborn I am I guess.

Bring it on.

Scout7

There used to be a 10 miler for St. Patty's day near Reading, PA. Back in '94, they had the race in a blizzard (that was the year we got hit with several feet of snow; it was also my senior year of HS). Yes, I ran the race. It was one of the more interesting runs I've done. For it, I wore running tights, short and long sleeve shirts, a zip-up windbreaker, hat, gloves. Scary that I can remember what I wore for that.....
                            vicentefrijole

I wear a hat with a brim (one of those light-weight breathable running hats) for pretty much all my runs. It works to keep the sun and rain off my face... personally, I don't like rain running down my face, into my eyes and nose.. very distracting. If it's cold out, I'd focus on finding some warm, waterproof gloves. I really like gortex ski mittens (with or without a soft inner liner, depending on the temp). If my hands get cold, I'm a mess. After that, I'd probably try to find a very light-weight but waterproof/resistant jacket.. but I don't have one so I can't offer any recommendations. I've actually been pretty lucky not to have run many races in the rain.

Imminent Catastrophe

Let me change the question a little. What do you wear if its raining and cold (32 > temp < 50)?="" />
                                A lightweight windshirt over a couple layers of wicking fabric. If it's raining and above freezing, you're going to get wet. You can wear a waterproof shell and get wet with sweat, or not wear waterproof and get wet with rain. The main thing is, wear wicking "technical" fabric (Coolmax, Dri-tech, microfiber, Smartwool, etc.) and NEVER, EVER wear cotton. That goes for socks too. And yes, wear a hat.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016