14 min 5k , is that good enough. (Read 1139 times)

Which of these is true:

1. ManfromNantucket ran a sub 14 5K
    2. 14 year old boy from Illinois ran a 27:3x 8K Shamrock Shuffle
    joescott

Which of these is true:

1. ManfromNantucket ran a sub 14 5K
      2. 14 year old boy from Illinois ran a 27:3x 8K Shamrock Shuffle

Ohh, oh, oh, oh!!!  Pick me!  I know the answer to this one!

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

It's obvious given that we know that ManfromNantucket ran exactly 14:00.00 (not sub 14) for his 5k training run.

Ohh, oh, oh, oh!!!  Pick me!  I know the answer to this one!

I know you do!  I'm still in awe.  A name to remember: Matthew Pereira.  He'll be at Lake Zurich HS, IL next year. 

It's obvious given that we know that ManfromNantucket ran exactly 14:00.00 (not sub 14) for his 5k training run.

He must be pissed.  One hundredth of a second faster and he would have been sub-14!  Damn it all, I'd be mad as hell by not breaking sub 14 by one hundredth... Sucks...

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

He must be pissed.  One hundredth of a second faster and he would have been sub-14!  Damn it all, I'd be mad as hell by not breaking sub 14 by one hundredth... Sucks...

I am told though that because it was a road course he would have needed to round up to 14 anyway...

ultramarathon/triathlete

Happened to me the first time I ran a 14 min-flat 5k.  I was so pissed.  But, after trying really hard I ran a 12-flat 2 weeks later.  I was happy until someone pointed out that one hundredth of a second faster...  

Now I just don't wear a watch. 

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                Gatorade Endurance Team

I wasn't pissed at all, more surprised than anything. It was nice and cool, with beautiful views of the water. I was just running along having a good time.

Actually, i was running along listening to to some old school Missing Persons, that coulda helped.

joescott

I wasn't pissed at all, more surprised than anything. It was nice and cool, with beautiful views of the water. I was just running along having a good time.

That's usually exactly how my 14-minute 5ks go.  Just cruisin' along, enjoying the scenery.  I love that.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

I don't know what the big deal is, but hey i though it was pretty cool.

Do you mean 14 minutes per mile or 14 minutes for the entire 5k?

The resonses assume you mean 14 minutes for the entire 5k, which is DANG fast (as others are saying).

If you mean 14 minutes per mile that you run, then that's faster than a walking pace, and there are some people that enter a 5k race and finish it in over 45 minutes.

I'm hoping you mean 14 minute per mile and your post was innocent.

Cheers,
                          Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

It's not everyday you have someone that takes a couple years off and gets back into and after a couple of weeks averages a 4:30 per mile on a training run.  Doesn't sound very believable.

It's not everyday you have someone that takes a couple years off and gets back into and after a couple of weeks averages a 4:30 per mile on a training run.  Doesn't sound very believable.

There was that one dude who ran a 4 minute mile in a solo time trial. But there was low humidity that day.

Runners run

.  "Doesn't sound very believable."

(grin).    Well, considering the username is from a book of fairy tales?  :-)

But SERIOUSLY (grin again), I think the 14 minute 5K is a full minute-plus off of the 'faster guys".  It is only a remarkable achievement if you were carrying something along the way...  Like this for instance....

.... So were you carrying anything while you ran?  (I wouldn't even knock you for taking a swig of that water mid-race, BYOW, you bring it, you can drink it since you are carrying it and all, you know?)....

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞