Two Unrelated Issues: Pictures and Cell Phone Posting (Read 98 times)

I know this is not a multimillion dollar enterprise so the forum software is going to be limited in what it can do. But as a social media venue I find the following two issues to be a significant problem and I think they encourage people to migrate away from the RA forums (at least the master's forum) to places like Facebook.

1. The way RA handles pictures makes posting them an exercise in futility. Whether or not a picture will appear in a post on RA is nearly impossible to predict. It is just incredibly frustrating.

2. Posting to a forum from a cell phone is also really frustrating. Double if you have to edit it. Add more if you decided to try to use any text enhancements like bold or italics.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

1. Not impossible to predict at all. Granted it may not be intuitive like a copy/paste, and you have to kind of get the hang of it and find a system that works for you. However, it is mainly a question of knowing what is required. You need to have an actual URL address for the photo, since to save space the site does not store photos, it just links to them (I am not a techie so I may not be saying this right). To get a URL:

(a) for a photo on a web page, right-click and select "copy image address"

(b) for a photo on a web page on a mobile device, you can often tap the photo and select "copy"

(c) for your own photo, upload to a photo-sharing site, which will create an address. There are a number of different sites/apps, I use Imgur.

Then click on the "Insert/edit image" (mountain) icon at the top, paste the URL in the "Source" field, and click OK. I find this works pretty close to 100%. Some web pages however can be a bit restrictive about letting you copy photos. Like race pics. The workaround is to do a screenshot and use option (c) above.

2. Probably need more info about what is so frustrating. I think most people here find it works OK. Also, I'm not aware of the ability to do any text enhancements in Facebook.

Dave

1. Not impossible to predict at all. Granted it may not be intuitive like a copy/paste, and you have to kind of get the hang of it and find a system that works for you. However, it is mainly a question of knowing what is required. You need to have an actual URL address for the photo, since to save space the site does not store photos, it just links to them (I am not a techie so I may not be saying this right). To get a URL:

(a) for a photo on a web page, right-click and select "copy image address"

(b) for a photo on a web page on a mobile device, you can often tap the photo and select "copy"

(c) for your own photo, upload to a photo-sharing site, which will create an address. There are a number of different sites/apps, I use Imgur.

Then click on the "Insert/edit image" (mountain) icon at the top, paste the URL in the "Source" field, and click OK. I find this works pretty close to 100%. Some web pages however can be a bit restrictive about letting you copy photos. Like race pics. The workaround is to do a screenshot and use option (c) above.

2. Probably need more info about what is so frustrating. I think most people here find it works OK. Also, I'm not aware of the ability to do any text enhancements in Facebook.

Thanks, this was one of the things I came here to figure out, that is exactly the explanation I needed!

paul2432

Screen capturing a race photo is stealing in most cases. If you have any respect at all for other peoples' intellectual property don't do this.