Pool Running Question (Read 1070 times)

RunsForCake

I'm still recovering from a femoral stress fracture and the bike/seated elliptical are getting old so I bought an Aqua Jogger belt and a 3 month membership to our community indoor pool to mix things up a bit. For those that have used pool running for recovery of injury or cross training... do you stay in one place when running or move around the pool? I must be dense because I can't quite figure it out between reading stuff online and the little workout booklet that came with the belt. TIA to all responses.
      I had to do the deep running thing last fall /winter with knee injury. Not sure If i actually figured it out, but I would actually move back and forth in the deep end of one of the "loafers lanes" in my gyms lap pool. I do not think I could really stay in 1 place if i even wanted to but also the mini laps and least broke up the boredom. Here is an instructional video and they are moving http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1078 Some people said they loved deepwater running and did it even when not hurt, but was glad not to have to do it anymore. Good luck with recovery

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

seeEricaRun

Awesome

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1078
        Not related - but check out the form of the woman in the lane next to him with the pull buoy. Wow. I never looked up proper form, but I can't imagine how I could have run in place.
        RunsForCake

Buckeye, GREAT link! Thanks! It looks like he is "jogging" in the lane back and forth and not staying in one place. Erica, I'm sure my form will not be even close to the guy on the video. Blush
            Also beware .... No matter how well you do it. People will stare at you like "what the heck is that guy doing!" and if in the slow lanes you will probably have to dodge old people doing water arobics (one day going back in forth for like 15 min this old guy is watching and then jobs in comes out to within 10 feet of me at starts his routine and then say "Ohhh .... Am I in your way?" ) Also hard to look cool strapping on your floatation belt walking into the pool as looks like your afraid you might drown.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

RunsForCake

Also beware .... No matter how well you do it. People will stare at you like "what the heck is that guy doing!" and if in the slow lanes you will probably have to dodge old people doing water arobics (one day going back in forth for like 15 min this old guy is watching and then jobs in comes out to within 10 feet of me at starts his routine and then say "Ohhh .... Am I in your way?" ) Also hard to look cool strapping on your floatation belt walking into the pool as looks like your afraid you might drown.
              LMAO! So the little booties and hand weights that came with the belt are probably a no go huh? Wink I read that somewhere else too...that folks will look at you strange and wonder what you are doing. Meh. I'm ready to try anything different to break up the boredom of the gym. I usually work out in the early AM so I'm hoping there won't be a lot of action in the pool at that time but you never know...those old folks do rise early.
              Teresadfp

One day at a time

Well, that's one good thing about getting older. I don't care what people think I look like! I did pool running for awhile after my achilles injury. I definitely moved around the pool, at slug-like pace. I found it challenging to push hard enough to get a good workout, but I got better at it. My son is looking at colleges right now, and several coaches we talked to said that they highly recommend pool running. The University of Texas at Austin has this cool underwater treadmill with a large screen TV to watch while you're running on it! It looked as if the belt was built INTO the bottom of the pool. It wasn't one of those cheapie treadmills like they have at our Y.
                RunsForCake

Okay, I NEED one of those treadmills Teresa! Big grin I remember watching Spirit of the Marathon and Deena Kastor used one during recovery from an injury prior to the Chicago Marathon in 2006. Ahhh...to be a world class athlete and have access to such things would be amazing.
                  MrH

You can move a little but the key thing is to focus on having good upright posture and form. If you want to get your heart rate up (and not wander around a confined pool space) you can use a tether to tie yourself to the side of the pool and work against that resistance. Aquajogger has some decent resources on their site: http://www.aquajogger.com/blog/index.php/water-running-handbook

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.