hamstring frustration (Read 161 times)

no questions here, just want to blow off some steam.  left hamstring issues past 3 weeks just in time for final stage of training for my goal HM.  each day is different but trying to work through this as I have done so in past with other minor/mod/major injuries. been having some good w/o's & goal weekly mileage up until hamstring gave out.  DNS on a very important 10k last wkend. (tune up race) that I felt had reasonable chance at PR.  15k on 9/14 & HM 9/29 look to be in jeopardy .  Was expectiing  to challenge PR's on both but now even if make it to starting line will have lost most of benefits of my training.  today planned a easy hour run before work but only made it to 2+ miles & hamstring pulled a very sharp pain.  mostly walked home back up hill.  not happy right now.  VERY FRUSTRATED.  will do what it takes to get over 100 miles for month (to keep 100 mile month streak going) & then take extra days off.

an amazing likeness

Don't screw around with hamstring pulls...they can (1) take a long time to heal; and (2) become chronic.  Believe me, I've been battling my right hamstring since Dec 8th of LAST year.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

MoBramExam

no questions here...will do what it takes to get over 100 miles for month (to keep 100 mile month streak going) & then take extra days off.

I'll ask a (retorical) question:  You sure that streak is worth the potential risk to your long term health?

I'll ask a (retorical) question:  You sure that streak is worth the potential risk to your long term health?

of course not, but I'm almost to 100 mpm.   even just 1 or 2 miles/day will get me there so will do whatever I'm able to do on any particular day..

of course not, but I'm almost to 100 mpm.   even just 1 or 2 miles/day will get me there so will do whatever I'm able to do on any particular day..

Who cares about the 100 mpm?   If you really want to get over this, you need to give it rest.  These injuries can be very intractable.  The only thing that helped me finally put my hamstring issue behind me was complete rest from any aerobic/cardio exercise for two weeks (I did do some light strength training not involving legs during that time).   Good luck.

On the other hand I've had hamstring injuries that didn't respond well at all to rest.

Runners run

who cares about the 100mpm streak? (sitting at 49) well I do!    I am being careful & will recover over whatever time it takes.  I have had much worse issues with hamstrings in the past  mostly due to tightness/inflexibility.  hamstring has shown some improvement as long as my runs are short & very easy.    yesterday  was fine until the short little sprint to get across highway.  my runs will start out slow & then slow down even more or walk if needed.    I do have 3 more upcoming preregistered races  but racing season my be over.  disappointed/frustrated over that but I'm ok with it.  "it is what it is".   Have begun working with PT to help with overall flexibility & strengthing & ACTIVE RECOVERY..   In the past I have always been able to work through any type of inury (including severe case of PF)  by making adjustments but continuing to run.  Its mainly being able to recognize difference between discomfort vs pain.

I do greatly appreciate the concern!  thank you!

who cares about the 100mpm streak? (sitting at 49) well I do!    I am being careful & will recover over whatever time it takes.  I have had much worse issues with hamstrings in the past  mostly due to tightness/inflexibility.  hamstring has shown some improvement as long as my runs are short & very easy.    yesterday  was fine until the short little sprint to get across highway.  my runs will start out slow & then slow down even more or walk if needed.    I do have 3 more upcoming preregistered races  but racing season my be over.  disappointed/frustrated over that but I'm ok with it.  "it is what it is".   Have begun working with PT to help with overall flexibility & strengthing & ACTIVE RECOVERY..   In the past I have always been able to work through any type of inury (including severe case of PF)  by making adjustments but continuing to run.  Its mainly being able to recognize difference between discomfort vs pain.

I do greatly appreciate the concern!  thank you!

Sorry, I did not mean to come across as not caring about your goals.   I am in my upper 40's as well and can understand.  Or perhaps you meant your streak is 49 months, which would be very impressive indeed.  It's quite possible my injury was not the same issue as yours.  Mine got so bad that I couldn't run without pain.  Running through it, for me, just wasn't sensible.  It sounds like you are taking good care of the situation with the PT.  Again, best wishes.

Streak is 49 consecutive months of 100 miles or more (avg around 140-150/mth).  Not really that impressive as many people avg over 100/wk..  I very firmly believe in active recovery, although in some cases the only real solution is to stop that activity. Everyone & every case is different, & I've always been able to work through any injuries.   have had 2 PT sessions so far & of course its almost worse as doing excercises/stretches that have either never done or not for a long while.  however over time I will be stronger & less tight which will be of benefit not just for running but for everyday life as well.  will be 58 in October (man, time goes by way too fast)

broke 100 miles for month today on run,  7-10 days later than normal.  hamstring tight but much better, no sharp pains.  most comfortable run in about 3 wks.   had 3rd PT session yesteday.   PT found some large knots just above back of knee & worked on them for awhile.  ouch!!!  but big improvement today!  not ready for normal training but big step..

Nice work skyedog...way to hang in there!

Hey Neal- hope you can get everything working properly soon. I pulled a hamstring a few miles into a 12K (kept running to finish, not such a great idea, actually). After the race  I took it slow and eased back into running, but felt it for a few years after. Finally went away completely.

Good luck.

hey Chuck,  good to see you are still around.    I've had some fierce hamstring pulls in the past from playing baseball & softball.  I mean extremely painful running bases at full speed, the kind that drop you to the ground in a nanosecond & need help walking for a few days..  fortunately this is not one of those kind!   I always seem to go through a stretch where I dont take the the time to do preventive (proper stretching, strength training) work on the hammies & I pay for it at some point.  You would think I would have learned by now.  ha ha

update:     after several weeks of having to "baby" my hamstring & decreasing my mileage & intensity, this past week of running has been much better.  maybe close to 80% of "normal".   UNTIL yesterday.  on my weekly LR hamstring went again.   no warning of any kind.  everything was going good, felt strong, no issues of any kind. then right around 6 mile mark Whammo!  tried very slow jog several times with elevated pain but mostly walked the 4 miles back. ran this same 10 mile course last Sunday (longest run since hamstring flared up 4-5 weeks ago) with no problems.

hamstring has hampered my training big time & caused me to miss key 10k 3 weeks ago & now looks like will be missing another key race (15k) this Sat.  This past week has been very promising but looks like  9/29 HM  (goal race) is in jeopardy as well.  this just sucks!

an amazing likeness

update:     after several weeks of having to "baby" my hamstring & decreasing my mileage & intensity, this past week of running has been much better.  maybe close to 80% of "normal".   UNTIL yesterday.  on my weekly LR hamstring went again.   no warning of any kind.  everything was going good, felt strong, no issues of any kind. then right around 6 mile mark Whammo!  tried very slow jog several times with elevated pain but mostly walked the 4 miles back. ran this same 10 mile course last Sunday (longest run since hamstring flared up 4-5 weeks ago) with no problems.

hamstring has hampered my training big time & caused me to miss key 10k 3 weeks ago & now looks like will be missing another key race (15k) this Sat.  This past week has been very promising but looks like  9/29 HM  (goal race) is in jeopardy as well.  this just sucks!

I've had exactly the same experience. (you can see it in my log starting on Dec 8th last year, and then the whammo happens in Jan) I'd recommend you consider just 'shutting it down' for a while and focus on rehab on the hamstring and getting it healed and strengthened, otherwise you'll be limping along for months on end.  That's my 2 cents, based on my experience.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.