Getting to the Boston Marathon Finish Line (Read 721 times)

The advice given to the guy about the start was awesome, so I thought I'd ask my question about the finish.

We're actually staying out close to Hopkinton, but what's the best way to tell my family to get to the finish? To be clear, they've seen me finish lots of races so I'm not super concerned they get to the finish line when they do. Just in general, is driving into the area a good idea or are they better off ditching the car and taking public transportation?

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

an amazing likeness

This isn't as well thought out as you'll get from all the RA-ers who live out that way...but I'll throw it out anyway for consideration. If it were me, I'd head north on 495 or 128 to circle north of the city, then park in Cambridge and hop on the T (subway). I wouldn't try to get from Hopkinton through the western burbs and into the city from the west -- all the spectators use those roads and public trans.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Wing

Joggaholic

then park in Cambridge and hop on the T (subway).

Alewife has a big parking garage

I think it is typically ~$7.00 for the day to park at Alewife.  The Red Line doesn't come out to Alewife on the weekends these days though so I'd double check that it is still running that Monday despite the holiday.

Although the hotel I booked is 25 mins away, they offer a free all day shuttle back and forth.  Obviously they'll only get you to the marathon shuttle bus, but it helps.  You may want to see if you have that option.

nantastic

Defy Gravity

The Red Line doesn't come out to Alewife on the weekends these days though so I'd double check that it is still running that Monday despite the holiday.

Huh?  If you're referring to the weekend track work that has resulted in shuttle buses, that is scheduled to be completed at the beginning of March.  Even if it runs over, I can't imagine them cutting service or substituting buses for trains on Marathon Monday.  I think it's safe to say the Red Line will be running.

I just dug up a link to 2011 information.  The MBTA tends to run extra service on Patriots Day, rather than cutting back.

http://www.mbta.com/about_the_mbta/news_events/?id=21419&month=&year=

hootenanny: chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny

My wife has actually driven into town and found parking within a mile of the finish a bunch of times when I was running.  The thing about that Monday is that although it's crazy with the Marathon and the Red Sox game, it's actually a holiday in the city of Boston so the rest of town is pretty deserted and with the media and everyone warning people not to drive...it winds up being a pretty good day to drive in town.  You can park downtown and walk to the finish in 15 or 20 minutes.

If I was going to drive to Cambridge, I'd just go to Kendall Square.  No need to park all the way out at Alewife.

Runners run

Imminent Catastrophe

I can't resist...

Practice, practice, practice. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

xhristopher

My wife has actually driven into town and found parking within a mile of the finish a bunch of times when I was running.  The thing about that Monday is that although it's crazy with the Marathon and the Red Sox game, it's actually a holiday in the city of Boston so the rest of town is pretty deserted and with the media and everyone warning people not to drive...it winds up being a pretty good day to drive in town.  You can park downtown and walk to the finish in 15 or 20 minutes.

If I was going to drive to Cambridge, I'd just go to Kendall Square.  No need to park all the way out at Alewife.

Park on street just about anywhere (residents only parking exculded) for as long as you like in Boston or Cambridge. Holiday rules mean no meters or hourly parking limits apply.

I work in Boston and, though it is a state "holiday," I'll be taking "vacation" to have the day off.