Hilly training, race is flat. What to do? (Read 1208 times)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Where I live there are only hills in all directions.  Over 10 miles the usual delta is 1200ft if not more depending on my route, but that's probably the 'flattest' route.

Most people recommend that as the race (my 1st marathon) nears I should make my long runs similar to the race I'm training for in terms of topology.  I'm training for the VA Beach marathon, which has a delta of like 10ft over 26.2mi.  Obviously, if you're training on flat runs, and the marathon is a bunch of hills you're in for a big surprise, but is a concern when things are switched?

About the only detriment I can think of is that hills often allow a small switch of muscle groups when climbing, which gives others a rest -- and they won't be able to rest on the all flat course.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

I'd consider a flat race course a gift from the running gods. Get ready for a PR if you train on hills. But since its your first it will be a PR anyway : )

About the only detriment I can think of is that hills often allow a small switch of muscle groups when climbing, which gives others a rest -- and they won't be able to rest on the all flat course.

Physical and mental monotony.

You might consider driving some place flat, if anywhere near you, or a tm, for at least an occasional run.

My mentality when running is that I like the constant change from hilly trails - almost like problem solving but on autopilot to some extent. When I run our relatively flat bike paths, I find it a challenge to keep my brain engaged so I don't slack off. And, yes, a tempo run on flat terrain is very different from tempo effort on rolling hills (very exciting on the downhills). I used to struggle with the longer flat runs when I was new to running, but don't have that trouble quite as much as I've run over various kinds of terrain.

PS: I generally only do races on hilly trails, but there are some flat spots in there occasionally.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

A Saucy Wench

Yes to the physical monotony, not so much on the mental because it will be a big enough marathon to keep you entertained.   Honestly I dont think it is a HUGE deal, certainly not as much as the other way around.  But it is fatiguing.  You can alleviate the fatigue a bit by varying pace or gait a little bit during the race. 

If you are always going up or down you might want to throw in some flat runs, but I dont know if I would stress too much if it is difficult to come by. 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Best Present Ever

I ran that marathon as my first and I live and train in Charlottesville, so all my runs are hilly.  It was borrrring.  It's flat and it's mostly ugly (I thought there would be a lot more running along the beachfront than there is).  You will get comic relief listening to people complain about the "hill" as you go over a bridge twice in the first half of the race. It was a fine marathon in terms of organization etc, but I really didn't enjoy the flatness -- no  mental or physical relief as others have said. 

Is there a mile or at least a 1/2 mile of flat somewhere nearby where you can do laps?

That would also get you prepared for the mental monotony. How about a track?

I'd guess one medium-long run would be enough to give you the confidence that it's not going to be a problem physically.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I'd consider a flat race course a gift from the running gods. Get ready for a PR if you train on hills. But since its your first it will be a PR anyway : )

I'm with this oneWink

steph  

Train on hills --- run a flat race --- I fail to see the problem..

You'll be just fine...

Champions are made when no one is watching

Hoban-Jay

The problem would be for the competion...not for the person training on hills!

JML

Train on hills --- run a flat race --- I fail to see the problem..

You'll be just fine...

+1

Kick ass at the race and have fun.

Rebuilding my aerobic base....racing next year.....nothing to see here....move along now.

Right on Hereford...

Hills will make you stronger, but your hamstrings will not be used to generating the force and leg speed needed to run fast on the flats. I train on hills a lot, but race best on flat courses. I like to do all of my tempo runs and intervals on flat terrain.

Since you don't have flat terrain (but probably do have a track somewhere nearby), I would recommend a tempo run once a week on the local track. You could keep it real simple and just do a 20-minute run at the track at an effort that feels "comfortably hard." Based on your last 5k, that should be around 7:30 pace for now. Don't race them; just focus on keeping the effort reasonable...something you think you could maintain for an hour if you were racing it.

Believe me, consistent tempo runs like this will work like magic, and sooner than you think. The key is to be consistent.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

MammaOfThree:

I ran that marathon as my first and I live and train in Charlottesville, so all my runs are hilly.

My friend and I refer to ourselves as the Barracks Hill Running Club.  Hey, neighbor.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do