5/10K Training Plan Suggestions (Read 168 times)

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

I didn't get my 3:30 goal at OKC, but I did PR by about 12 minutes, so I'll take it, and would like to shoot for 3:20 or less in the Fall, and mmmmaaaaayybbe go for a BQ this time next year.  I know the faster I get, the harder it is to shave off minutes.

Anyway, from what I understand, improving one's speed at shorter distances helps marathon performance, so I think I'll focus on the 5K and/or 10K distances over the summer, probably the former since 10K's aren't as common.

Did a search of the forums, and didn't see many threads that deal with this explicitly (though I didn't have time to try too many filters), what are some good 5K training plans out there?  And will I have to give up longer (>10M) runs, as a couple of the plans that floated to the top of my quick Google search seem to indicate?  I'd like to keep my base mileage up over the summer, if I can.

If it matters, I'm pretty comfortable with weekly mileage of 50-60 miles, and my last 5K time was 20:45.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

If your plan is to run a fall marathon then I'd just run base mileage (with strides 2x per week and the occasional tempo) all summer and just race 5k's and 10k's as they come up.

Runners run

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

If your plan is to run a fall marathon then I'd just run base mileage (with strides 2x per week and the occasional tempo) all summer and just race 5k's and 10k's as they come up.

You mean just run without being told how fast and how far by a pre-printed piece of paper, enjoying myself as I go?

C'mon, man, nobody does that.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

You mean just run without being told how fast and how far by a pre-printed piece of paper, enjoying myself as I go?

Thats crazy talk right there^^^^^^^^

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Oh you're a planner? Okay here you go:

Mon - 6 mi easy

Tue -  8 mi with 8 x strides

Wed - 10 mi with fartlek or tempo

Thu - 7 mi easy

Fri - 10 mi with 10 x strides

Sat - 7 mi easy

Sun - 13 mi long run OR 5k/10k race with longish warmup/cooldown

Copy/paste into every week until you start your marathon training schedule.

Runners run

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Oh you're a planner?

Eh, I tend to gravitate that way, but I have to say, after having my runs dictated to me for the past 16 weeks, just freewheelin' it sure sounds nice.  I was kidding around in my reply.

Julia1971

Hudson's Run Faster has plans for 5 and 10Ks.  I've been loosely following one of the 10K programs for a goal race in June.  I think it has me doing 60 mpw with the long runs around 12-14 miles.  But, I'm not doing many of the long runs and am racing instead just because I want to.  Smile  Daniels "Running Formula" also has basic guidance for shorter than marathon distances.

jmcfarlandrunner

I suggest you go to Download Free Running Programs.  They have tons of professional and free running plans that you can download.  Including 5K and 10K plans you are looking for.

I suggest you go to Download Free Running Programs.  They have tons of professional and free running plans that you can download.  Including 5K and 10K plans you are looking for.

Your advanced plan doesn't seem that advanced. Where is the long run?

Fall  2013 Goals: Doable sub 22:00 5k; Challenging Sub 21:00 5k; Unlikely Sub 20:00 5k.

obiebyke

Ignore jmcfarlandrunner. S/he's been posting that crap all over. Spam.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)