Tampabay Lightning 6th Annual Bolt Run (Read 468 times)

6th Annual Bolt Run Today was a beautiful day for a race; mostly sunny, around 65° at the 8am start and low humidity. What a difference between a huge race like Gasparilla and a small race like this one. It seemed a little disorganized, but the start went off without a hitch. It wasn't chip timed, but the field for the 5k was so small that I crossed the start line within 5 seconds of the start. The race begins right in front of the Ice Palace (I'm old school, I still can't bring myself to call it The St. Pete Times Forum), loops around the building under the plaza, hangs a left on Channelside Dr and heads out to Bayshore Blvd. You head out on Bayshore and the turn around point is a couple of kilometers along. Bayshore Blvd is always a great place for a run; you've got cool looking mansions on one side and a great view of Tampa Bay and downtown Tampa on the other. I was able to accomplish my goal of sub 30 minutes. I finished in 28:37, almost 5 minutes faster than my last 5k time. I started out a bit fast I think, but settled into a good race pace in the first mile or so. It was a little difficult to figure out my pacing because I didn't know the course before hand and the splits weren't really marked. They did have volunteers calling out times as we ran past, but the guy at the 2 mile point was the only one that said what distance had been covered. Up to that point, I had no idea how I was doing in relation to my goal. I passed him at 18:16 or so and knew at that point, barring any injury, that I'd be able to meet my goal. It was also a bit of a psychological boost to know that I was 2/3 done with the race. I felt pretty good in the last 1.1 mile and it certainly helped that the last half block to the chute was a downhill slope. All in all, it was a fun race and a different experience than a larger one. I'm very happy with my time and improvement; I can't wait for my next race. I just have to decide what distance I want to do and in which race to do it.
    The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare. -- Juma Ikangaa, Tanzanian marathoner

Help to defeat Lou Gehrig's Disease. Please sponsor me in The Ride to Defeat ALS. I'm riding in memory of my dad.
    http://runpebsrun.blogspot.com
    JakeKnight

Pssst. Since you started this thread, I can whisper something I meant to tell you: your avatar has been cracking me up. Oh - and nice race. Smile

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

Hi! Nicely done! Count yourself blessed...I do. I lived in Tampa Bay from 1996 til July 2006 when my work took me to Greenville, NC. Last year, I worked at The University of Tampa and got to run Bayshore almost daily....what a most gorgeous running route! If you don't run it alot, please start...for those of us who no longer can. Oh yeah, I did the Gasparilla Half last year and plan to come do the full next year. Has to be done! PS. I was in the RBC Center last night when the Lightning beat the Hurricanes!!! Let's Go Lightning!!! And, yes, it will forever be the Ice Palace!!!
        If you go as far as you can see, you will then see enough to go even farther. - John Wooden
          Pssst. Since you started this thread, I can whisper something I meant to tell you: your avatar has been cracking me up. Oh - and nice race. Smile
          Yeah, it still cracks me up too. And as a disclaimer, not directed at all vegetarians, just the ones like Shuggaar's "meat martyrs". Now that, cracks me up. Big grin
          Hi! Nicely done! Count yourself blessed...I do. I lived in Tampa Bay from 1996 til July 2006 when my work took me to Greenville, NC. Last year, I worked at The University of Tampa and got to run Bayshore almost daily....what a most gorgeous running route! If you don't run it alot, please start...for those of us who no longer can. Oh yeah, I did the Gasparilla Half last year and plan to come do the full next year. Has to be done! PS. I was in the RBC Center last night when the Lightning beat the Hurricanes!!! Let's Go Lightning!!! And, yes, it will forever be the Ice Palace!!!
          Thanks both of you for the congrats and encouragement. Unfortunately, I only get to run it in races, as I live about 30 minutes south of the city, but I have plenty of rural roads to run on that are just as scenic. I ran the 15k this year, but my goal is to run the half next year. Not sure if it's going to happen though, as I'm one of those pre-work runners and that makes it extremely difficult to get the longer runs in in the mornings. We'll see how it goes. I'm really glad they managed to pull their heads out of their asses and manage a win, they really can't afford to lose any momentum this time of year. We didn't even watch the game,we just switched back and forth to check the score periodically. They were winning without us and we were afraid of jinxing them. (we can be superstitious Blush ) This is a really good team, they just lack consistent goaltending. I'd give my right arm for a guy like Luongo.
          The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare. -- Juma Ikangaa, Tanzanian marathoner

Help to defeat Lou Gehrig's Disease. Please sponsor me in The Ride to Defeat ALS. I'm riding in memory of my dad.
          http://runpebsrun.blogspot.com
          va

...I was able to accomplish my goal of sub 30 minutes. I finished in 28:37, almost 5 minutes faster than my last 5k time. .
            Wow! That is a great improvement! Congrats! Btw, I love animals...They're delicious!
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

WTG, JP! And I echo the avatar sentiment. Think I might have some grilled chicken boob for dinner! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Great race! Way to bust that 30-min barrier. And BTW, at least 3 animals were cooked in the making of my dinner tonight ... Tongue

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.