2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

Fishyone

LOL  Not my slowest but definitely my worst!  My first marathon I ran a 3:50 that felt amazing was a negative split.

Fish - Welcome. And I'm super-jealous that your "worst race ever' was only a 3:40 marathon!

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Keen - this variant really is now just everywhere, which I'm not surprised given what we saw here in December. My wife has it now and I wouldn't even call it a moderate cold. It's just a slight sore throat, that's it. Granted she already had COVID in March 2020 and was boosted so her experience has been nothing, but it also sounds like yours. I think it's starting to peak here in NYC and we should be on the downturn next week, which means the rest of the country will peak probably early February?

I do love mapping out new runs on Strava's heatmap! I just  looked at one for a weekend away in Atlantic City, and there was a very obvious route people take. I looked at the Google Maps more though and it didn't make sense. But then it occurred to me: it's the Atlantic City marathon route. I wish there was a way in Strava to exclude just one day of data, because it mucks up everything else. Maybe you know a way? Or a better source?

Fishy - stick around. You will find this forum to be very motivating!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Fishyone

Treadmill this morning to avoid the frigid temps in Boston today. I draw the line at sub-zero wind chills. I find the only way to make the TM bearable is to vary pace with 1/2 mile sprints followed by 1/4 mile slower recoveries.  I find that I'm going to stare at the display anyway so I might as well stare at it with a purpose.  How anyone could do a long slow run on one is totally beyond me......Keen? 14 miles ouch

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - I'm glad your wife has such a mild case. My wife's case was the worst in my family, and the same as for your wife's case it didn't amount to a moderate cold.
          Given how rapidly the new variant spreads and how mild it is maybe this would count as a "viral" vaccine. Old-school chicken pox party style!

The OKC heat map is exactly the same: the marathon/HM course is a major highlight on the heat map along with a couple other typical courses like routes from the different LRS. I don't know of any way to filter out those single-day values (on Strava or Garmin Connect). Even if I could do that for OKC there are enough training runs that cover the majority of the course that it wouldn't make much of a dent taking out just the actual marathon day. It kinda sucks for trying to map out a route as some of those roads you don't want to run on when they aren't closed.

Fishy - My record TM run is 20 or 21 - I don't remember. I find the first hour can be the most difficult. It does help to watch something quite exciting and/or mindless. Action movies are good. Comedies can be hazardous - I almost fell off one day laughing while watching Deadpool.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

HermosaBoy

Fishy - My record TM run is 20 or 21 - I don't remember. I find the first hour can be the most difficult. It does help to watch something quite exciting and/or mindless. Action movies are good. Comedies can be hazardous - I almost fell off one day laughing while watching Deadpool.

I have gone a little over 18 and agree that having something good to watch is advisable.  Quite often I will pull up the world record marathon from Berlin and fast forward so that I am "racing" to the finish line...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I'm with fishy, even 6 miles feels like an eternity on a treadmill to me. I'm heading up to VT for a few days. There's a treadmill at the resort and I will instead opt to just take the days off. It's so mind numbing. I did my run today at lunch with wind chills at 2 degrees, but it's not too bad when you're out in the sun. Even if the temperature is only a few degrees colder, there's something just depressing about being out there in the dark when it's that cold.

Keen - that's a shame we can't filter out. It would be cool if Strava added that. The whole point of a heatmap is to see where people run on normal days: I would look at the NYC map and say "oh look, I can go run over the Verrazano bridge!"

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I find treadmills much more bearable for workouts than easy runs.  Since I do my long runs as progressions, that makes them easier, though I think the longest I've gone on a TM is 15 miles at once.  I prefer DJ sets for runs - I have a few friends who are DJs with regular posts on MixCloud, so I often listen to them.  (One of them - Zoltar - has a regular 2 hour podcast that is PERFECT for workouts).

If I'm going to watch anything, it will usually be a DJ set on youtube - that way I don't really have to watch it, but can just glance at the screen occasionally to distract myself.

Heat maps - the DC area heat map will have you running on the 14th Street Bridge/aka Interstate 395 since that route is part of the course for both Marine Corps Marathon and Army 10 Miler.  I would not recommend running on that road except as part of one of those two races....

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

. It's so mind numbing.

Said like someone who doesn't pool-run.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Fishyone

Said like someone who doesn't pool-run.

DW- Yup I tried pool running as a form of recovery a few years ago and gave up after a few "runs"...... no music, no netflix. 10 minutes felt like hours.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Comedies can be hazardous - I almost fell off one day laughing while watching Deadpool.

Agreed - I don't do any treadmill running anymore, lucky enough to live in a mild enough climate not to need it.  I do watch Netflix when I do my weights and strength training, and injured my back while watching Bill Burr and trying to do a shoulder press at the same time.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Furthest TM run... 3 miles. I hate it. Tried movies, etc. and I just can't. I'll run outside in nearly any condition (this morning's workout was 5 degree wind chill, windy, and 4:22am). I'll take that over the TM any day.

DW -  Back in college I had to do some pool running and workouts when I was injured... I'd rather kick myself in the face for 10 minutes than ever do that again.

Next Races: Fools Run 10 mile (4/2/22), York Marathon (5/15/2214/23), Stupid Marathon TT (June 2022)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - I'll disagree a bit - I love running in the dark more than during daylight, even when temps are that cold. I'll say for me that 2* (or wind chill with a slight wind) is definitely outdoor running weather, but 15* w/ a 25mpw wind to get to the same wind chill is a heavy contender for a  treadmill session.

DWave - I also like treadmills for workouts, particularly for longer steady-state or interval workouts. 90 second reps not so much due to the long ramp-up time of my treadmill. It's just SO easy to nail the perfect intensity.
                          I have a workout tomorrow (assuming I don't oversleep like this morning), perhaps I'll give a Zoltar podcast a listen for it just for kicks.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Funny treadmills are the topic today; I just had my first TM run today, likely of many, for this winter. I've done many long runs up to 20 miles on it, though often with up-tempo blocks to keep some variety. Like Hermosa and Keen I've got a nice TV setup in front of it and often watch pro-running stuff; world cross-country is great because almost every year is on Youtube going way back. Today I watched 1996 and 1997, the middle of Tergat's 5 year streak winning it. It always amazes me how dominant he was in XC, and Geb never was able to win in that discipline.

Nice weeks everyone, I'll be lazy this week and not respond individually. I had a disappointing week. I had hoped to build up mileage but tweaked my calf on Tuesday, then again on Thursday. Nothing major, but it cut most runs shorter than I wanted and I ended up with 50 miles for the week instead of a planned ~65. At least the calf felt fine on the treadmill today. The icy patches on the roads last week did not help regarding the calf.

Welcome back Fishy!

2:52:16 (2018)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DWave - I also like treadmills for workouts, particularly for longer steady-state or interval workouts. 90 second reps not so much due to the long ramp-up time of my treadmill. 

Refresh me on which one you have, again?  (I know JTReeves has a Landice).

I have a Horizon 7.8 AT - it changes speeds terrifyingly quickly.  Generally about 3 seconds, maybe 4 seconds if it's a really big jump in pace.  Which is nice if you are doing 30 second repeats or similar.   The downside is that if you hit the wrong speed by accident, you only have a second or two to fix it before you're jumping your feet to the sides of the treadmill to save yourself.

JTReeves - I'm sorry to hear about the calf, but glad it is improving.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

JT - sorry about the calf, I feel like you and Piwi battle those demons a lot.

Treadmills - I could see doing something like cruise intervals on it being acceptable. Everything else seems miserable. I also think I'm used to a very different running environment than many, where I am constantly people watching and entertained on my runs. I find it hard to even do 8 mile runs outdoors in rural areas of the country.

Keen - why do you prefer the dark more? That's a new one for me.