Gate River Run (Read 772 times)

Just wondering who from here is running the GRR. I have been registered for a while now and I am starting to get a little nervous as this is going to be my first official race. My number is 4175. If you see me next weekend say hi. Jeremy
    2009 Goals...:
    -run more miles than 2008

-build base to train for 2010 Rome Marathon

Another Passion

<~~ not running. good luck and have fun! it'll be a blast. not="" running.="" good="" luck="" and="" have="" fun!="" it'll="" be="" a="" blast.=""></~~ not running. good luck and have fun! it'll be a blast. >

Rick
      "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
      "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
      runningforcassy.blogspot.com

anybody else running this on Saturday
        2009 Goals...:

Looks like we could use a few more Gate River Runners on RA, make sure you wear your RunningAHEAD shirt for the race. When people ask about it, tell 'em it's the best free training log on the web and it has a wonderfully supportive community of runners. Won't help for this race, but you can start building your network for next time. Seeing a familiar face at a race, or first-time RA meetups are great stuff. I have to give you high marks for goal setting Jeremy, this fraidy cat's first race was a two miler. With a recent long run of 7.2, a race of 9.3 miles is very doable. My two cents for what it's worth... Don't do anything on race day that you haven't done in training. No new shoes or shorts, don't use Gu unless you've trained with it, etc. A race is not the time to find out that sports drinks while running don't agree with you. It's likely that your biggest challenge will be holding a suitable pace. Trust me, it's VERY easy to take off like a jackrabbit when adrenaline and the day's excitement get the better of you. Don't do it, you'll regret it. I'd recommend lining up at the back, and running without a time goal. Surrounding yourself with other runners planning an easy pace is generally a good way to avoid jackrabbit syndrome. Just try your best to relax, and take in the whole experience. If you are feeling strong at the end you can always hammer the finish, but there will be plenty of other opportunities for goal races. A highly detailed first race report is a minimum requirement, bonus points awarded for pictures. Best of luck to you.

E.J.
          Greater Lowell Road Runners
          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Ed thanks for the advice it will help if I can remember it all. My goal is to finish the race but I would really like to be able to say that I did it in 90 minutes, but if not as long as I finish I will be happy. Jeremy
            2009 Goals...:

Really short Race was an awesome first time experience. My ultimate goal was to finish and I wanted to do it in under 1:30...well I def. finished and my time according to Garmin was 1:28 with a 9:32 pace per mile. The one thing that really kicked my arse was running up the bridge at mile 8.5...splits are as follows 1 - 9:19 2 - 8:39 3 - 8:46 4 - 9:23 5 - 9:21 6 - 9:14 7 - 9:24 8 - 10:23 9 - 10:29 9.4 - 9:14 I am pretty impressed with my splints except for mile 8 and mile 9 but I know why those are way slower than any of the others.
              2009 Goals...:

Nicely done Jeremy, that's an excellent result for an ambitious first official race. Way to go! (drums fingers and waits impatiently for more details...)

E.J.

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Another Passion

Great job, Jeremy! Nice first race. Ed gave you some great and sound pre-race advice. Congratulations on an impressive first, and long for a first (mine was a 5K), race!

Rick
                  "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                  "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                  runningforcassy.blogspot.com

ok here we go Mile 1 was a big cluster due to the fact that everybody was jockeying for position to get to the pace that they wanted and going over the first of two bridges crossing the St. Johns River. Mile 2 took us along the water front and the river was so choppy that the waves were hitting the sea wall and getting all of us wet with over spray. Miles 3 and 4 were through a very scenic part of town with old house and spectators around every corner cheering us on. Mile 5 took us down a main road and under Interstate 95 Mile 6 took us in front of the river, which really messed with me because I could see the stadium and that is where we finished. Mile 7 was along the main road again after the detour through mile 6 and lead all the way up to the bridge. Miles 8 and 9 were climbing up the bridge and the down the bridge, worst part of the race for me. Had to walk three times on the bridge it was kicking my arse that bad. And finally we finished on the 50 yard line of Jacksonville Municipal Stadium. Over all great race with plenty of scheduled water station and many other stations that weren't scheduled. There were 6 different points where there were bands playing. The only bad thing about the whole race was the wind. Conditions were as follows (approx) 60F, which was great but on top of that was the wind and it was gusting to 30 with sustained of 10-15. Don't get me wrong it was great when it was on my back but crossing the Hart bridge I had to run sideways so I didn't get blown down. Hope you all enjoyed the report Jeremy
                    2009 Goals...:

Hope you all enjoyed the report
                      Indeed, thanks for taking the time Jeremy. You always hope for perfect conditions, but while humans make plans the gods laugh. On race day, it is what it is and you kinda get used to dealing with it. I know I'm not a big fan of running into a stiff wind, sounds like you did a really nice job of it.

E.J.

OK here are two pictures within 1st mile ....never realized how much of a goober I looked like running...the last one is at the finish line
                        2009 Goals...:

OK here are two pictures within 1st mile ....never realized how much of a goober I looked like running...the last one is at the finish line
                          Nice report, Jeremy! Glad you made you goal! That's part of what keeps me excited about running.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

JillyBeans

Jiggle, jiggle, jiggle.

I don't think that goober is the right word. I think more like.... "I ran a race today! What did you do?" Nice work with the report too, thanks for sharing! Wink
                            "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step."
                              Thanks
                              2009 Goals...: