Cleaning Garmin Contacts (Read 855 times)

ultramarathon/triathlete

A lot of people have mentioned their garmin not charging (a lot of my friends have at least) and I had this problem too. I called Garmin and they said it was probably the 4 brass looking contacts on the back. They get dirty and won't conduct electricity. this may have already been posted, but anyway, you can EASILY clean these with a pencil eraser. Just rub until they are brass looking again. This should solve your charging problems. I just looked at mine to see if there were in fact 4 brass circle things and realized I could see three. One is there but is black, so guess I'm in need of some cleaning!! ~Dave Smile

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
    Gatorade Endurance Team

The Greatest of All Time

this may have already been posted, but anyway, you can EASILY clean these with a pencil eraser. Just rub until they are brass looking again. This should solve your charging problems.
      I learned that trick in the Army. We used to use pencil erasers to clean the contacts on radio hand mikes. Works like a charm.
      all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I had this problem. I usually just rubbed it off with a towel. One of the four always turned black. You need to rinse your device after your runs. Get the sweat off. Kosher?

ultramarathon/triathlete

Kosher?
          yep, that's me name!

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
          Gatorade Endurance Team

My Garmin contacts burned a hole in my arm during a run last year. Now I put a small piece of electrical tape over the contacts to prevent this. The added bonus is that it keeps them from needing to be cleaned.
            djtaylor

^ That is scary! Did you contact Garmin? I wonder what can cause it and how prevalent it is.
                ^ That is scary! Did you contact Garmin? I wonder what can cause it and how prevalent it is.
                I did. They next day air shipped me a replacement (upgraded from 205 to 305 too), no questions asked. Not sure how prevalent it is though. Oddly enough, I never even felt it... it was during a 15 hour run across the Grand Canyon and back. I think the dry air, heat, and salty skin contributed. Very weird stuff...