No Watch!! (Read 730 times)

Wild Beast

No more running with a watch!!! Over the past few months I've decided to run without one and I'm enjoying my runs much more. No longer am I reaching mileage markers on my usual routes and glancing at my watch only to find that what my body felt was a good run was actually slow by time standards, or that I was in fact running fast when feeling slow. Much more fun to let my body guide me and throw time out the window. I'm hardly fast, nor am I concerned about competition or comparing times- I just want to run for me and getting rid of the watch has helped! Just a personal discovery I wanted to share- not preaching or arguing right or wrong here...
    Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt. -K. Vonnegut
      Surprised Shocked Shock....not running with a watch...no GPS either?? nor Heart rate monitor either I suppose.... yer moving into the realm of a non-runner....sad to say.... Big grin

The shirtless wonder

I'm with you. I don't like knowing what my time is during the run. If I'm on a treadmill I cover the display with a towel or magazine. When I'm running outdoors (the majority of the time) I force myself not to look at my watch for nearly my entire run. I usually glance half way through. When I run with friends that have GPS watches I ask them not to tell me distance or pace until we finish the run. I like having the data, just not while I'm running. Greg
          I do wear mine, but intentionally dont look at it and dont care about my miles per minute when running (exception of course is when I run in a race - then I am careful to watch my splits). I know that when I pay attention to my time, I start trying to beat my times and usually end up running faster and then faster until something breaks.....and then I have to take time off.....when I dont pay attention, I listen to by body and run accordingly......its a smart thing to do........GREAT IDEA xnomax

Champions are made when no one is watching

Ostrich runner

I'm in the no watch crowd. I always paced with my teammates growing up, now I just do it off of feel. I often don't even decide what kind of run I'm doing until I'm a couple miles in.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

I recently started wearing a watch but don't really like it. Feels stressful somehow. I do want to know at the end of the run how long it took though so last run, I wore the watch and only looked at it when I stopped it at the end of my run. Since I'm training to "finish" a marathon, not win one, time is mostly unimportant to me at this point in time.
                I'm still using my faithful 10y old Polar HRM. It does not show any splits or pace, only HR and time. I do have few checkpoints in my courses where I check my pace, but usually I only check my HR. That's it. I'm in no hurry to get a new gadget HRM.
                HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

I like having the data, just not while I'm running.
                  Just started doing similar - wear the GPS but try not to look at it so much (maybe the peak of a hill just to see HR). My runs have gotten faster and I don't feel "constrained" by heart rate highs /lows - rather I go based on feel and my performance (pace & fitness) has improved and the runs are more enjoyable.

• Black Canyon 100k
                  • RRR
                  • Zane Grey 100k
                  • High Lonesome 100
                  • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                  • The Bear 100
                  • Javelina Jundred (?)