Do I need new shoes? (Read 962 times)

First all, great website, I love it. Am an IT developer and seriously jealous I didn't do it!! My question is, I was running last night and a guy stopped me and said I should buy new shoes because I wasn't running right. He said he was a fitness instructor and he could hear me making too much noise as I ran (slap, slap, slap each footfall). Can this be right or was he having me on? I'm not a serious runner at all, cycling mainly but I do a half marathon each year and have just started training a little. I have a pair of Sauconies that are about 2 years old I guess. Thanks in advance!!
      Perhaps, but I would suspect form first. I see, or hear I should say, lots of slapping noises at races with runners wearing what look like brand new shoes. I found this article that may help. Here's an excerpt from it...
      The slap of most runners' feet is due to the overstride. This means the planted foot is landing in front of the runner's center of gravity. The slap comes when the foot strike hits so that the runner lands on the back of the heel "of the shoe." It creates what is similar to the snap bar of a mouse trap. It effects the front of the foot as it slaps down on its unaware victim...the earth's surface. The only problem is that the helpless victim-the earth-sends the shockwaves back up the foot as the leg compresses and is jarred as it hits the unforgiving earth.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

2 years old? Yes. You need new shoes. Mine usually last 2 months. Or three.
          2 years old? Yes. You need new shoes. Mine usually last 2 months. Or three.
          You just like buying shoes! Tongue Just kidding. Tonight I will be buying my running shoes for the very first time, up till now my aunt has bought them for me. And, I can tell that I need new ones with having about 440 miles logged with them. I have been getting shin splints and my toes have been rubbing so that tells me that it's time for a change. I've had these shoes since May.

Michelle

Mike and Trent are right. Noisy footsteps are related to form not your shoes. Quieter means more efficient I guess, but, the fastest runner I know sounds like a herd of elephants. If you run a half each year and shoes are 2 yrs old, you probably need new shoes. I run between 250-400 miles on shoes. For me, it's easy to tell when I need new shoes - I get a pain in the lower outside part of my right knee. I buy new shoes, pain goes away. Go figure.
              Thanks for the replies...I really am a novice here. I do notice that I normally get pins and needles in my left foot after about 20 minutes but it eases off as the run continues. I don't really do enough running to know if that is expected, poor running technique (most likely with me I guess) or the wrong shoes. I don't want to waste money on new shoes, but if it will either improve my time, and/or help me avoid injury then it's an easy decision. Cheers everyone
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I do notice that I normally get pins and needles in my left foot after about 20 minutes but it eases off as the run continues. I don't really do enough running to know if that is expected, poor running technique (most likely with me I guess) or the wrong shoes.
                The pins and needles could be completely unrelated. I get that, though in my case I am almost certain it's mild chronic compartment syndrome. Basically the muscle swells too much for the sheath that contains it, so the blood supply gets cut off some, hence the numbness. Mine typically will come on about 30 minutes into a run, then let up about 15-20 minutes later. I don't get it during every run, either, so since it comes and goes I don't worry too much. If it happened every time and didn't go away I'd be considering surgery. I've had this issue with at least 4 different models of shoes, so I know it ain't the shoes. But I also think you are due for a new pair of shoes. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Ok ok...new shoes it is Big grin Any excuse for something new and shiny really... Thanks for all the advice, nice to find some friendly advice on the 'net. Cheers,

Ok ok...new shoes it is Big grin Any excuse for something new and shiny really... Thanks for all the advice, nice to find some friendly advice on the 'net. Cheers,
                    mmmm...new shoes... I think based on your original statement, you need new shoes. First, because your current ones are two years old. Second, because you seem to only have one pair of shoes! (I'm a big fan of rotating your shoes between each run.) If you have a little while, I've written a ton on running shoes at Run to Win. I recommend checking out: + The Running Shoe FAQ - more than you really wanted to know about what running shoes are, why you shouldn't walk in them on a daily basis, and a bunch of other questions that I get asked about regularly. + My list of shoe care tips (which also touches briefly on choosing shoes) + My answer for how many pairs of shoes that you need to be a runner (generally, between 0 and 5 pairs - yes I'm a wiseass sometimes)

Run to Win
                    25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)