From Couch to Marathon in 7 months??? (Read 380 times)

Everyone has about covered it... The key is not to get injured.  The temptation can be to go out there and start ramping up mileage pretty fast, but be careful!  If you have taken 5 years off, you'll need to let your body recondition itself and strengthen up again for the longer miles.   Good luck!

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Nancy, I too just signed up for Philly, and have been running under 1 year.  I did my first marathon at age 52 after only 6 months of training, and that was after a 30 year break in running.  So it can be done.  You can expect to have some niggling injuries just based on using muscles that you have not for several years, and soreness from the frequent exercise.

Try to start out running at least 3 times per week, upping that to 4 times by say June, and then maybe 5 times per week by August.  You can ramp up your miles based on how much time you have to run.  Figure 5-7 hours per week if you get into the 30-35 miles per week range.

So yes you can do it, and possibly do it well depending on fitness.  BTW, what county are you in the Philly area?  Lots of running clubs and races in this area.

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

Take it easy. I went Couch-to-Marathon in a year, and while I wouldn't necessarily recommend even that time frame, five fewer months is a lot of lost training and base. I hope it works for you, but that is a very ambitious goal.

I've been running on-and-off for about three years, but after one extended time-off period I cranked up the mileage quickly with the goal of running a marathon and got injured, dropping out of the marathon and sitting on the sidelines for a few months. I have decided only to run one marathon this year, and am just focusing on building a strong base for this year's marathon (in October), and for more marathons next year.

So, as someone who signed up for a marathon after a break from running, only to get injured and not run the race, I give you this advice - take it easy, listen to your body, and if something doesn't feel right, drop out of the race. Better to lose a race entry fee than to really screw yourself up.

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

kcam

A friend just lost 65lb in 6 months. He just walked regularly and ate sensibly. His goal is a marathon too. He started running a few weeks ago and signed up a 10K.

Now that right there is very sensible.  He loses weight FIRST, then starts running and signs up for a 10K.  Patience is good in the running game.

I tend to agree with what DaveP MI posted.  Eat sensibly to lose weight, don't expect pounds to melt off just because you're marathon-training.  Train very easy, I wouldn't do ANY workouts for quite a while.  Just run.

Good luck

SheCan

I know that I couldn't have, but have been amazed at how much some people who are determined, or have natural ability are able to achieve in such a short amount of time.  Apparently you do have an athletic background and that will help.  At least you're understand about how much work will be involved.  You say you're overweight that could mean by 10lbs or by 70lbs, so how that affects you depends on just how out of shape you really are.   Some larger people complete lots of races and distance, though it becomes increasing less common the more you run.  Also your age might have a bearing.  If anything even if you don't end up running the marathon, it should spur you on to start moving.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

prodiro

I just wanted to add I'm in a similar boat...just got off the couch a week ago and I'm aiming to run in the Bay State marathon in 6 months!

I don't have anything constructive to add, but just wanted to wish you good luck and let you know you're not alone!

i got off the couch last april at 305 lbs. I ran the houston marathon in Jan at 275. it wasnt a killer. It took about 5:20 or so. I have my 2nd marathon this weekend and should be much faster.

It can be done. have fun. dont get hurt.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

GC100k

i got off the couch last april  Jan at 305 lbs. I ran the houston Tulsa marathon in Jan Nov at 275. it wasnt a killer. It took about 5:20 or so.

It can be done. have fun. dont get hurt.

Ditto here (with a couple minor edits).  I wasn't totally couched, but pretty close.  And not all couches are created equal.  Some folks' couch condition is worse than others.

Ditto here (with a couple minor edits).  I wasn't totally couched, but pretty close.  And not all couches are created equal.  Some folks' couch condition is worse than others.

my couch was big and fluffy. usually with pizza or BBQ and a bunch of beer close by. Smile

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Best wishes to all of you!  You can do it; just don't rush beyond what your body is ready to do.  The key to weight loss and fitness is persistence and determination.  You're in this for life!

buchy2009

Bjørnmannen

Oh, Nancy, I will add one more thing...

The weight loss slowed for me when I got closer to the marathon, so don't be discouraged if this happens for you.  It is just so hard to keep fueled enough in order to train properly while having a big caloric deficit.  The window of an attainable caloric deficit is smaller than when running less, at least in my experience.

CT JEFF

Hi Nancy -

Well, I am doing something similar. I was doing some TM miles, then one day decided to do my first 5K. As soon as I was done, I signed up for a FM in 8 months. That date is coming up fast, May 26th.

I am younger than you, but we have several things in common. For me, I was looking for a race that I could FINISH. Some races have "sweeper teams" that literally pick you up if you are too slow. My FM choice was one with a 6hour limit. At the end of the limit, they leave. They dont pick you up, just no medal, no parade. But you would still finish a FM. As my training progressed, I am really shooting for under 5 hours. But between 5 and 6 where I currently am. Max milage running has been 18.1. Max total milage (walking at the end for 5 miles) took just under 5 hours. But I have a couple more weeks to focus my outdoor runs.

Most of the winter, I was on the TM. So, I think the outdoors will help you.

Here's the facts: Sunday November 17th 7am. Race day. You have to maintain 16 minute miles or they will sweep you. A fast walk for me is about 15:00, so I think you can do it.

With my goal, I figured that I needed to at least be able to run 19 miles @ 12:00 avg continuously to definitely finish under 6 hours. (my walking speed is about 18:00 - when Im tired)  -

Sorry - I dont have any specific training plans to offer. But I really believe you can do it! I am going to start my taper after these 3 weeks, and I feel pretty confident. I have run (2) 5k (counting that first one) (2) 10Ks and (1) 1/4M of 6.55mi. Here is the really weird thing. I signed up for as many local races as I could in January, so it turns out the week after I do my FM, I am signed up for my first HM. BASS ACKWARDS!  LOL -

Oh, as for losing weight. I was BMI about 31? OBESE. I didnt feel obese, but anyway. I was 247. I am about 222 right now. A full 10% weight loss! I have gone down to 215 during training, but I have been changing my diet a few times. Currently I am eating a lot of rice and trying to follow an online friend's MEAT AS A TREAT.

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

prodiro

Best wishes to all of you!  You can do it; just don't rush beyond what your body is ready to do.  The key to weight loss and fitness is persistence and determination.  You're in this for life!

LedLincoln makes an excellent point! I've been fortunate enough to not have a struggle with weight, but I have quite a bit of experience with addiction and kicking bad habits.

If weight loss is something you really want to achieve here, be sure to not view bumps in the road as "total failures".  For instance with cigarettes, people will often give up on quitting the second they buy a pack one drunken night rather than viewing it as a learning experience...or just a minor misstep.

So, even if you don't get to the marathon in 7 months...remember there are plenty more marathons out there and to keep training!

zonykel

So, even if you don't get to the marathon in 7 months...remember there are plenty more marathons out there and to keep training!

+1