What do you wear under your shorts? (Read 9326 times)

Hi, I'm a newbee hear. Been lurking for a couple of weeks now and browsing many of the boards/threads. I was looking for this subject, but haven't seen it. I have a problem, I find that the lining in my running shorts chaffes the heck out of me. I've tried bodyglide, vaseline and other stuff, but not any help. I tried shorts with no llining and let's just say that they didn't give me the support that I need. For my long runs and most of my regular runs, I have gone to wearing cotton underwear and gym shorts and this is much better, but talk about sweating and being wet. There is definitely no wicking going on there. I currently run about 25+ miles a week. I'm sure that I'm not the only guy with this problem especially at this time of the year when the humidity has been brutal, even here in New England. Any suggestions? JD
    PWL

Has been

Maybe try something like this? In all seriousness, the only thing I can think of is to try running shorts without a lining and instead wear some boxer briefs type underwear with tech fabric--Under Armour or that type of thing.

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

Dave

You might be OK with compression shorts underneath. Something like this: You've already tried the stuff I would've recommended (body glide, ...). Cotton undershorts are probably your worst option. I can't imagine that was better than the liner in your shorts.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

I never had chafing, but normal cotton boxer briefs would constantly ride up in the crotch and drive me crazy, plus they were hot. I buy compression shorts at walmart for 9.99 and wear those under my regular running shorts. That has done the trick for me. By the way, does anyone else think Under Armour is severely over-priced? I can't imagine their compression shorts/shirts are that much better than the stuff I get at Walmart or Target for probably 1/3 to 1/4 the price.

Marquess of Utopia

Adidas has some running shorts with build in compression shorts.

Marathonmanleto

How about trying some different running shorts. My recommendation is Brooks HVAC. Great summer running shorts--vented, silver infused, no cling, good support. A little pricey, but worth it. Wear those and lube up with a couple fingers full of good ol Vaseline and say good bye to chafing for good!
                You might be OK with compression shorts underneath. Something like this: You've already tried the stuff I would've recommended (body glide, ...). Cotton undershorts are probably your worst option. I can't imagine that was better than the liner in your shorts.
                Those and shorts with no lining over them is exactly what I use. Never had chaffing or support problems. Smile Also getting in shape enough to wear a compression top. No nipple bleeding or chaffing going on there anymore either.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

I'm assuming you're male? I'm female, and I don't wear anything under my shorts.

I go commando and just use the liner - I recommend getting new running shorts from a different brand/style.

Run to Win
                    25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Panties under mine. Big grin But you do bring up a good point. I originally purchased a pair of special women's briefs from Sports Authority for something like $16 dollars. They were pretty good, however not much different than panties. A friend of mine suggested microfiber panties which are a lot cheaper. I found some Hanes style and have worn them ever since. They are comfortable and breathable and I found that they aren't soaked at the end of my runs. Probably doesn't solve your problem does it? Then again the guy in the skirt is pretty cute? Blush Karen
                      What a beautiful time of the year in New England

Misinformation Officer

DH wears Patagonia capilene wicking boxer briefs--fitted, boxer style undies. He likes them so much he wears them almost every day (thankfully, fresh ones, not the same pair!).

Running Dad

By the way, does anyone else think Under Armour is severely over-priced? I can't imagine their compression shorts/shirts are that much better than the stuff I get at Walmart or Target for probably 1/3 to 1/4 the price.
                          Over Priced isn't the word, but then again if it makes you feel good. My bro was all about UA until he realized that it is the exact same thing (compression layer anyways) as the Walmart brand. That's what I wear with a pair of wiking shorts. No chaffing and everything is all good. I had to run commando last week and didn't like it.
                          Things to do this year:
                          Not get an injury
                          Things done this year:
                          Bi-Lo 5k(Myrtle Beach) : 02.12.10 - 25:??
                            Target carries some Champion brand fitted boxers in some sort of tech fabric. They aren't too long, so they might work. I don't run in them, but wear them for other activities. They're <$10. you might also consider bike shorts. i run in them occassionally. you="" might="" also="" consider="" bike="" shorts.="" i="" run="" in="" them=""></$10. you might also consider bike shorts. i run in them occassionally.>
                              100% merino underwear... very good anti chaffing properties
                              The Graduates - a community of post C25K runners!

Started Running 21 April 2008

2008 Running Goals
                              • Finish C25K 22 Jun 2008
                              • Run 5K 43:29 29 Jun 2008
                              • Complete a 10K fun run

Supa Dupa Fly

I go commando and just use the liner - I recommend getting new running shorts from a different brand/style.
                                Ditto. I'd be too hot in anything else...and luckily i've never had a problem with chafing.
                                ~TC --There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't--