Creating Our Own Nice Weather - Geoff Roes article (Read 133 times)

Joann Y

Really nice article in IRunFar. Creating Our Own Nice Weather

It almost always ends up better to just go ahead and go outside, doesn't it?

I can't think of a time I did (go ahead and go outside) when it wasn't worth it. in fact, my most memorable runs are the ones I did, like, in the dark, in a blizzard, when there was no traffic and nobody else outside, not even in the middle of Berlin.

and he's totally right, the rain always looks worse from the couch.

degregorius

Meh.  I suppose I could have gone running at lunchtime, but it's so friggin windy today that one part of the run would be resistance training against 40mph gusts.  I ran errands instead.

There's always tomorrow.

Roses Revenge

Okay, even though it looks gloomy out there, I went out.  Warm enough and no rain, but windy.

Marathon Maniac #991 Half Fanatic #58 Double Agent #22  It's a perfect day and I feel great!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I like how he writes. Yep, I just plunge out the door each morning before my brain gets un-groggified, and it always turns out to be a Good Thing.

Joann Y

I like how he writes. Yep, I just plunge out the door each morning before my brain gets un-groggified, and it always turns out to be a Good Thing.

Me too. I like his writing. Clear and sort of calming. I'll admit sometimes I'm a little avoidant of bad weather but one of the things I have always loved about running was being out there in the dark, in the snow, in the rain when you're kind of the only one. And you come home so invigorated. I'm trying to remind myself of that now that Winter Is Coming. Geoff says it way better than I do.

Are you the real life Blerch?

Meh.  I suppose I could have gone running at lunchtime, but it's so friggin windy today that one part of the run would be resistance training against 40mph gusts.  I ran errands instead.

There's always tomorrow.

jfa

I can't think of a time I did (go ahead and go outside) when it wasn't worth it. in fact, my most memorable runs are the ones I did, like, in the dark, in a blizzard, when there was no traffic and nobody else outside, not even in the middle of Berlin.

and he's totally right, the rain always looks worse from the couch.

Nicely said.

npaden

Sounds perfect if you live somewhere with mostly moderate weather.

I enjoy running in the cold and snow if it isn't windy.  Rain isn't bad if you are running on pavement and it isn't a cold rain.

Wind is a different category though.  I've made myself go out and run many days with with wind 30+ mph and can't recall ever coming back from one of those runs thinking that somehow it was worth it.

Also living 2 miles from pavement, often rain ends up making mud and it can be a slip sliding treacherous mess to get through it.  Once in a while and that can be a fun adventure, heck people even pay money to run it stuff like that, but when it is several days in a row it gets to the point that is isn't worth it.

I prefer running outside whenever possible, but I now have a treadmill in the house and there have been many times when I have finished a run on it and looked outside and thought "it was worth it".

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Sounds perfect if you live somewhere with mostly moderate weather.

I enjoy running in the cold and snow if it isn't windy.  Rain isn't bad if you are running on pavement and it isn't a cold rain.

Yeah, I struggle with "creating my own nice weather" when it's -40*C in the winter and it's windy.

Sometimes it is a dreadmill day and that's why I bought a DM. DM is better than no run sometimes.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

endlessrun

Despite his musings back and forth, it seems the trail itself provided a lot of shelter for Geoff in the rain.  Same way the trees shaded me during this past summer, the hottest I ever remember.  No way could I be as tough as he, being an elite runner and living in Alaska.  I'd hate to say how wimpy I've become in regard to the cold.  But a large part of it is that I really enjoy my outings to the gym.  I get real consistency and trackability on the TMs and the indoor track, not to mention how fast I'm getting!

degregorius

Are you the real life Blerch?

There's a bit of Blerch in all of us whether we want to admit it or not.  It's great when we're able to tell it to stop being a pest, and go sit in the corner.  I was able to do that tonight.  The weather forecasters have been presenting Chicago with a theoretical parade of horribles concerning the snow that is supposed to fall tonight,so I thought I'd get in a short after work run as the snow started.

As was said before, the rain looks worse when you're sitting on the couch, and the snow looks worse when you're watching the forecasts.

I have to disagree.  You should start clicking on the logs of some of the regular posters and faster runners here.  RunningAhead has some of the most disciplined people I've ever seen.  Personally, I've never run on a treadmill.  The weather is almost never bad enough to use it as an excuse to skip going out for a run.

There's a bit of Blerch in all of us whether we want to admit it or not...