2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

pepperjack

pie man

Going to go out at 1:35 for the half aiming for a safe BQ.  Ckub challenge will hopefully confirm I'm not crazy, but can't see changing my plan unless I run 1:09 or something.

Had a scale and it died or the battery died.  Wound up buying another scale.  The battery died on that one and I never replaced it, so no scale.

Off today, went to see Mark Bowden speak about his Hue book.  He's local and even wrote a book about the Colts-Giants championship game from '58.  And that Somali helicopter crash book, of course, that one was pretty popular.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

Pesto

Still lurking here, just dropping by quickly to answer PJ's question. It was a 10 k race that felt more like a time trial. The course is 9.8k, so I kept running the extra 200ish meters to complete the 10k. And I ran by myself from km 2 onwards since I was second, very far away from the first (who finished in 34 min) and the third (over 40 mins). I ended up doing 37:58, so quite happy with that. less than 7 weeks to go until Paris!

CK - thanks for asking, things at home are going alright. We have no more help since my mom left last week, and work has been very busy, so DW has had to take most of the load during the day unfortunately. I'm hoping I can get some paternity leave soon, at least a few weeks, to be able to help out some.

Hi everyone! Keep the good work. Having a hard time going out for runs during lunch this week because of work, I'll try to go out again today.

Hi Sam! How's soccer going?

5K - 18:03 (5.18) | 10K - 37:58 (2.18) | HM - 1:20:45 (9.18) | FM: 2:57:59 (10.18)

mattw4jc

Ace - I can't say I've heard many people use the term, "marathoner." I could see my wife telling someone that her husband runs marathons, but probably wouldn't say, "marathoner." Although it could be fun to add it to your business card:
        John Doe, Ph.D., Marathoner

Nick - do post a picture of you wearing the mittens while running on the treadmill please.

Keen - Seems like treadmills should allow you to program in those intervals. But if they did, you better pay attention. 9 minute pace to 6 minute pace: GO! Also - good luck in the 15k.

Sam - I think the formula is Cat Parent + Hobby Jogger = Marathoner.

DW - right, downhill portions for XC skiing is like cycling - tuck in and hold on!

Pepper - have a good race!

I didn't mention that we've also been having warmer mornings and that probably affected my track workout too. It was 64F then. For my second 4 miles last night, I had to bike home, change, and drive my daughter to dance which is right by where my running group does a Thursday evening run.

Time was short and I didn't really fuel up as normal before biking home due to a 4pm meeting. I basically "went out too fast" on my bike ride home. I ate an apple on the way to the run, but still just about bonked only 2 miles in. Luckily we were doing a relaxed pace and I finished okay.

Driving back home I had to stop by the store. I was craving some of their chicken wings they put out by the deli, but they were out. A worker was there putting discount coupons on so the stuff would sell. She said she'd put an extra dollar off if I took the fried chicken. I couldn't turn that down and ate a leg on the one mile drive to the house. Then I had dinner along with another piece of the fried chicken. Being a marathoner makes you hungr!

AceHarris

Had a frustrating run this morning. Had some R hip pain from stride one. This isn't new, but usually lasts less than 1/4 mile and loosens up, then it doesn't bother me at all. This time it was nagging through the 2 mile warmup. Then I did some drills and strides and it was a good bit worse with strides. The "16 y/o XC runner" in me wanted to keep going, so I tried to start the workout which started with 2x200s. I made it about 25 meters and it was a little worse. So I jogged back to the car, with pain on almost every stride. It's a weird, almost "clicking" kind of pain.

Going to rest this afternoon and try an evening run to test it out. I did fall asleep on the couch watching the olympics last night. Hoping I just threw something out of whack. Felt fine on yesterday's run. So, we'll see.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

OMR

Ace:  I think THIS is what the article is referring to (and maybe that was supposed to read 'elbow to knee', not heel).  I'm going to have to try this later today.  I have no idea on marathoner status, but if I can add that to my title, then I'm also going to add 5Ker, 10Ker, half-marathoner, beer drinker, etc...  ;-)

Dad:  And a lot of the men's half-pipe ski finals reminded me of "the agony of defeat."
            Sam:  Hi.  Run some, post some.  Does the fact that you are a jogger mean that your hip is any better?

Dwave:  What if we are cat parents but can't run.  Are those people still welcome here?  (In a different universe, this would be like asking people on a cat forum if you can post even though you hate cats.)

Assuming that one day I can start running again, I've started looking at Black Canyon replacements later this year, in the hopes of qualifying for the next Western States lottery.  Getting any sort of PR this year is out the window for me, unless I go long. 

On the road in MN

Matt- Yeah it sure would be nice to have a programmable treadmill - the ones I use have virtual run options (adjusts slope to match terrain) and has some predefined workouts...  they also have 'return to last pace' which lets you toggle between fast and slow.   If its a big difference it double checks... "ok?"... so you have to press twice.  safety first...lol

Sure would be nice to have a programmed workout from Garmin transfer to it easy via bluetooth... like a trainer road workout for bikes (?)

Or if it was your home TM - be able to setup and save workouts.

treadmill run gone wrong - where's the mittens?

No mittens... but the gloves worked good during last cold snap.   lol  -15°F or -20 if I remember right.   Hoth is nice this  time of the year!

Pesto - 2nd place sub38... one heck of a run!   wow   Good luck on your home stretch of Paris training!  (Marathon i assume?) I have wanted to run it since seeing Rune's results a year or three back - looks like a great course.

Matt - when the rungry hits... it can hit hard!   the other weekend we wennt out to dinner with sis/bro-in-law... then went to a nice bar/restaurant after.... I ended up eating 3course meal.... then another entree and dessert at next place!  lol   (was expensive night...eek)

ME - just a nice snowy 5 miler this morning with the neighbor.  got 4" of snow late - so plenty of fresh powder and some slick spots.  Good recovery run... legs were feeling sluggish in the powder sections.   9:25 pace, most at 9:15

EDIT:

ACE - ooh, sorry to hear about the hip flareup - I've had weird phantom injuries like that pop up one run.... then next day - gone.   So hopefully things shape up!   Take it easy Smile

OMR - I like that - can't beat your PR's... set new ones... long! :-)

Sam- good luck on your continued return in running/training.

5k: 19:29  Oct'17      26.2:  4:03 Oct'15  3:22 Grandmas June'17       Upcoming: Grandmas Marathon June'18 

ThisIsNotSam

Jogger

OMAR - I like to say that my hip is 'quiet', but it clearly is not the same as it used to be. *something* is still there.

I have committed to a long term training plan, with a goal race in August. Sounds crazy long, but I have kept the consistency so far. I am on week 7, no slips.

Mile 5:24 3k 11:01 5k 19:01 10k 38:34 hm 1:26:57 fm 3:02:33

runethechamp

As usual it's hard to catch up here if you take a quick break from this thread...

RLK - I was actually strongly considering going to that meet at Cal to have some fun and post some official times on shorter distances, but looking at the results from the two previous meets this winter I felt like I would be dead last in pretty much anything I did. Combined with a very short prep time (heard about the meet the Thursday before), and a pre-season baseball game for my oldest son out in Pittsburg, I decided to not do it. Very nice results for you though! Your 3200 time must be very close to what I did back in HS, where we used to run Cooper's test twice a year, and I usually ended up about 50m short of 8 laps in those 12 minutes. I'm still chasing my 5k PR of 19:44 from back then but will probably never get to my 800 time of 2:19.

Been busy with work and kitchen remodeling and start of baseball season for my oldest son, but running is going ok. Last week was kind of crappy with a stomach that didn't want to cooperate, so I only completed 2 out of 5 intervals in a planned 5x4 min session, and just didn't run at all on one of my planned easy days. Still ended at 29 miles for the week though. This week has been a bit better, although my tempo session yesterday, which I ended up doing on a treadmill, was brutal. 2+1.25+2 miles at tempo effort (6:50 pace) was not doable, either due to a fast treadmill, me having a bad day, running inside in a long sleeved shirt, or all of the above. I ended up cutting the last interval to 1 mile, and with a HR of 178 at the time it looks like that was the right thing to do.

In other news, my goal race in 4 weeks (Oakland HM or Marathon) just posted the official course profile, and the full marathon went from being a hilly course with an elevation change of close to 700 feet between the highest and lowest point, to something nearly flat as a pancake. I might end up running the full marathon but will make a final decision after my 20 mile training run this weekend.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

runethechamp

Oh, btw, is there some sort of Strava group for sub 3:20?

Getting back into it

ThisIsNotSam

Jogger

Oh, btw, is there some sort of Strava group for sub 3:20?

https://www.strava.com/clubs/282259

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

dwave- "I'm guessing downhills don't pound skiiers the same way they do runners?"  nope, certainly not, though the mini-downhills the XC skiers have are not as easy as 'float downhill on skis' like you do for alpine skiing ... no no. i learned that the hard way a few years ago. it's really hard to stay stable going downhill on nordic skis once you pick up any amount of speed, since they are narrow and have no edges. i would guess that's why the olympic XC skiers kinda pick up their feet and do a running-type thing when they hit a downhill.

speaking of XC skiing, kind of, i finally have that athlete cardiologist appointment next friday. this guy has been working with stanford's running teams and other high level athletes for decades, so i won't get any of that "omg ur RHR is so low u must be ded" crap I got from my GP. there will be a few parts to the appointment, one of which will be a treadmill vo2max test. kinda excited for that one  will be cool to see how it's improved since several years ago (when i was the guinea pig to demonstrate vo2max test for a biomedical engineering sports medicine class i took).

rune- ha, no way! it was a good meet. i was especially impressed that there were so many people doing field events!!
                        what is Cooper's test?
                        i ran the 3200 exactly once as a young(er) person, in 13:56. lol. would have been upset to not smash that "PR" last weekend :P

that is a fast 800!! i will never run a 2:19 in my life (i'll probably also never try to), but i'm hoping to get under 19:44 for 5k this season...

WOW i just checked the ORF website. that new marathon course is..... "urban". i guess it's nice from a time perspective that it's flat, but that is a lot of turns and a pretty ugly course now. the 2 times i ran the half, i had a lot of fun hanging out in snow park afterwards. i wonder how the post-race aspect will be now that it's at lake merritt.

speaking of lake merritt, jim, BF and i will be at your club's race on sunday. see you there?

SAM!!!!!!!

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

ThisIsNotSam

Jogger

runethechamp

RLK - Cooper’s test is run as far as you can in 12 minutes. It was never anything short of brutal.

Getting back into it

Katia77

Ace - so, they have two rows of TMs facing each other. They play music and do intervals. I have no idea if it's actually helpful, but they do an outside run when it's not winter so that might be better. It's something to do and a running group, so I'm trying it. It definitely makes running on a TM less awful!

Pesto - hope you made it out some!

RnBNick - that looks really chilly! There's no way I could do that without mittens.

Sam - good to see you back!!

Dwave - despite living in Utah, I don't ski much at all.., I think you're right about the downhills though.

Matt - agree on the hunger. Everyone is my office is doing a "biggest loser" challenge. I declined, and I feel like I outeat everyone including the men. I'm the smallest by far...

Achilles was acting up a bit yesterday so I took yesterday and today off.  Planning a short run (probably on the TM so I can use the gym daycare) tmw and 17-18 on Sunday, when it's hopefully done dumping snow.

PRs: HM: 1:32:59 (2015); FM: 3:18:36 (2017)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Still lurking here, just dropping by quickly to answer PJ's question. It was a 10 k race that felt more like a time trial. The course is 9.8k, so I kept running the extra 200ish meters to complete the 10k. 

This is becoming a trend for this group....

Matt - I  have also experienced that point in the cycle where one's gut is apparently bottomless.

Ace - hopefully it's just a passing thing.  Good on you for pulling the plug and ignoring your inner HS-er.  It's one of those things that is so hard to do in the moment.

OMR - cat people who cannot run are always welcome.

R+BNb  - now that is an impressive photo.  -15 or so would be where I'd just skip the run #wimp.

Rune - well that course change had to be a pleasant surprise.  BTW, we redid our kitchen two years ago while I was training for Chicago.  I sympathize - it wasn't fun.

RLK - thanks for the info.  I've done downhill skiing some  (though not in about 15 years), but never cross country.  Reading some articles, apparently it requires more power than running.  Probably why it has no appeal to me.

Hi everyone I missed.  11 miles total today.  7.5 very easy to the gym (9:13), then did some light weights work and core, plus DIY yoga. Then 3.5 miles very easy home (8:47) plus drills+uphill strides.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.