Newbie Shoe Question (Read 846 times)

I'm 100lbs heavier than you and I am yet to get 200 miles out of a pair before they are worn out. They look brand new but my knees and back say differently. Doug
    I'd check what kind of shoes you're buying. I'm 210 and I still get 350 miles out of a pair of shoes. That said, I'm not buying the least-expensive shoes I can find, necessarily. Just sayin... Hope that didn't come out wrong... Blush Undecided
    sluggo

John

First, yes, log your mileage. It is so easy to do this in the runningahead.com log that I can not think of a reason to NOT do this. I'm impressed with how so many of you can "feel" when your shoes are getting old. I go right from everything feels fine to injury. So my current plan is to buy only the best shoes from a reputable running shoe store and replace them at 400 to 500 mi. This "plan" has been working well for me for 3 yrs now.

John
      www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"

I posted the following in another thread, but it maybe it'll get a bite here. I don't know if this has ever been asked, but has anyone ever contacted a shoe company about what they considered to be premature wear/wearing out? I mean, if I had shoes that I felt were shot @ 300 miles or less, as I have read about some folk, I'd be pissed. If so, what was the shoe co.'s reaction? And in response to some of the, "I can feel it" responses about shoe wear/degradation, I don't think I've ever felt such a thing, even at 500 miles, or the point at which the black is worn down to the midsole/white cushiony stuff. I wonder if it's other problems unrelated to shoes (ie, running form, something else aside from running, or perhaps wrong type of shoe [which I would not categorize as a "wear" problem]) but shoe wear is what the problems get attributed to. Then again, maybe I am just an insensitive oaf. After all, there are all sorts of things people allegedly detect in wine, whereas I essentially detect yummy or not.