Glacier 10K (Read 370 times)

Dog-Love

This was my first attempt at running this distance after having knee surgery 6 weeks ago and I really want to make sure I didn't push it. This is a family race and I told my 11 yr old daughter I would take her to the 1 mile race and I would volunteer for the race director. Well she wouldn't let me not run and said I could for sure do the mile. Everytime I think of a 1 mile race I think of the elite sub 4 minute mile racers I have witnessed and opt out of that. So I signed up for the 10 K. A beautiful 38 degree day at the Mendenhall Glacier and about 75 runners. I started with a friend but we were running too fast for me and I dropped back. I finished 5K in 29:15 and felt OK...no pain that's for sure. At around mile 4 my right quad just felt really tired and I had to walk. I think this is becasue I didn't use that leg for so long. I picked up the jog again and I managed to pass 2 gals (they were walking!) and then my daughter joined me at mile 5.7. She maintained a close lookout on the guy I had passed earlier and kept telling me he was gaining on me! So I gave it a sprint to the finish and finished in 1:01:13. Definately not my best time, but am thrilled that the healing process was fast and my knee feels no worse for wear. My sports doc ran the race as well (under 39) and did not give me a hard time for being there. I love doctors who are runners!!!
    Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

Prophet!

Nice one. I bet it was a beautiful race (and cold) up there.
        Way to hang in there! I been to Mendenhall Glacier, and it looks like it would be a fantastic spot for a 10K. Glad your knee is doing ok.
        My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
          wtg! sounds like a perfect return to running. Big grin

Jennifer mm#1231