Boston Marathon -- it really is "out of this world" (Read 683 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

I kind of feel bad for her. It's tough enough to BQ in the first place. I can't imagine there's another runner who had to skip Boston because she was off-planet.
    Boston qualifications are good for two years. Why can't she wait? Because it's a novelty I suppose.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Boston qualifications are good for two years. Why can't she wait? Because it's a novelty I suppose.
      Qualifying times are really only good for about 18-months. Since she qualified in January of 2006, next months race is the last Boston she can use that qualifier for--according to the rules anyway. She could enter, pay the entry fee etc. and then defer to next year. Or, rules aside, she could just write a letter to the BAA saying, "Hey BAA, I'm an, um, astronaut and I'm on the, uh, space station this year and so I can't make it to Hopkinton by 10 a.m. on April 16th. So can I, um, use my qualifier next year?" And they would say yes. They do that kind of thing from time to time. But the BAA is not stupid. They see an opportunity to get some free promotion of their race by having an ASTRONAUT talk about how she didn't want her qualifier to expire while she was in SPACE. This further enhances the mystique of qualifying--even an astronaut considers it to be a big deal--and gets the Boston Marathon talked about on CNN dot com. Zowie. But back on topic for a moment. If we're calling thigs names that they are not, I want to call my run on Wednesday the Monkey Marathon. Since it had hills and there were some trees.

Runners run

I have a better chance of getting into space, than Boston...
          Not a chance for me, for either one! I'm undecided on how I feel about this...she qualified, which is awesome, but part of running Boston would be to be there to experience it along with fellow racers, to suffer through the same elements and such. If I were in that situation (which I will never be)...I would still feel cheated out of running it. I think I would set my sights on next year. But, that's easy for me to say since I've never nor will I ever attempt to qualify.

Michelle

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

But back on topic for a moment. If we're calling thigs names that they are not, I want to call my run on Wednesday the Monkey Marathon. Since it had hills and there were some trees.
            Ooh, much of my run I will do today will be through wooded areas and as cars approach I will run on the sand/gravel shoulder...and I plan to do ~half marathon distance, but at my putzy pace...so, since I run about half the speed of most elite marathoners it will still take me 2.5 hours. So I think I will call today's run the Monkey Marathon, too. Tongue k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I plan to do no running on a Cub Scout camping trip this weekend - so I will be "recovering from Boston".

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?