Realistic pace goals for marathon (Read 976 times)

Just registered for MCM 2012 and I'm trying to set a realistic goal for this one. Last one I ran 3:54:48. Would sub 3:50 be a stretch? It would represent an 11 sec per mile (or greater) faster time... Just something to shoot for...

Hey, I'd go out at 8:55-9:05 pace and see how you feel after 10 miles. You've put in some good work and may surprise yourself! 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

xor

I'd say "sure, and perhaps better".

With the big ol' caveat that it is March, the race is in October and it is all about 1) where you are now and 2) what you do in the next seven months.

I've seen people shave a whole lot more than 5 minutes with that kind of time.  I've also seen people, well, not.

I have also been both of those two people at various points over the past 10 years :-)

Don't limit yourself to an artificial time... see where your training takes you.

Whoops. October?

Then, yeah, what he said.  

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Thanks!  I've been that person, too.   My first marathon I ran a 2:02:28 and the second, I ran a 3:54:48 with a PR of >7 minutes.  Just wanted your valuable feedback, please and thank you. 

bhearn

My first marathon I ran a 2:02:28

Sweet!

Feeling the growl again

"...and after that, Paula wouldn't talk to me anymore."

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Kalsarikännit

"...and then because of that (and some other incident), people wearing race bibs are not allowed near the trains on Patriots Day."

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Thanks!  I've been that person, too.   My first marathon I ran a 2:02:28 and the second, I ran a 3:54:48 with a PR of >7 minutes.  Just wanted your valuable feedback, please and thank you. 

Your trend clearly shows you need to retire immediately -- earlier, in fact -- before that 3:54:48 result.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

xor

Come on now.

It was wind aided.

LateBloomer

My first marathon I ran a 2:02:28... 

I quit, i'm never running again Angry

2013 Goals

Just keep running...

Is that a typo?

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

xor

mikeymike

Is that a typo?

No.  The world record holder is actually chillidogbeagle.  How do you not know this?

Runners run

Sorry.  That's my fault.  Sarcasm and general ass-ishness are hard to portray over the interwebz.  If anything serious ever does come out of my mouth, you'll know it.  Until then, take whatever I type with a grain of salt.

But I really don't know who the marathon record holder is.  I'm guessing it's not actually anyone here at RA, right?

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it