2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

Andres1045

Marby - Great racing! Between the dirt, lack of people around you, and sun in the second half, I bet you were closer to 3 than it appeared. Since that was a stepping stone race, seems like you'll get there easily with a better race.

Cal - Yes, total bummer about Boston. I'm holding on to my hotel reservation for now just in case, but it's looking like there's no way around it. You thinking of NY for 2022? I'm supposedly in, as that was my choice based on the 2020 cancellation. Either way, I'll see you in Boston 2022. I've always found it interesting that you liked the Hadd training. One, in general, it seems like he was describing a way of getting a guy that had a huge gap between his shorter distance ability and long distance ability. Which has always been the opposite of you. It seemed like if you could get yourself into 1:28 half shape, you'd be ready for a sub 3 marathon.

Heat training - I didn't bother to read the article. I totally agree with JMac on this. I assume there's some gain in being miserable running through heat and humidity, but it doesn't come anywhere close to the gains you can make from real training in decent conditions. My theory is that you're worse off trying to run big miles or do long workouts through summer when it's hot and humid (like in Houston, not places where it's 72F and 80%RH). If you insist on doing workouts, go for shorter faster stuff. Like hill sprints and that kind of thing with standing rest or walking between. If you do the big workouts and big miles, you're more likely to be beat down and worn out when the weather has turned.

Upcoming races: Boston

Running Problem

Problem Child

FRED Zalokar has died.

http://fredzalokar.com/renos-fred-zalokar-first-to-sweep-world-marathon-majors/

"It took Reno’s Fred Zalokar only 2 hours, 45 minutes, 42 seconds to run the Tokyo Marathon, but he had to wait 11 days to see if he became the first person to swept the six World Marathon Majors."

Originally an ultra-marathoner, Zalokar decided to attempt to win all five majors titles (Tokyo wasn’t an official major at the time) when he turned 50 after his wife, Deb, asked him to run the Boston Marathon with her. He won at Berlin in 2010, Boston in 2011, Chicago in 2012, New York in 2015 and London in 2016. The only major title that had eluded him was Tokyo, where Zalokar placed second in 2014.

I never met Frank. When I first learned about him I couldn't believe such a legand lived in town and I just wanted to be amazed by him. He was in Yosemite and when I read an article saying he went missing I wondered if he'd just gotten off course or something oddball like that. This kind of sucks.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

General observation on marathon training.  I would gently suggest that every regular poster on this threat (including myself), if not held in check, is going to train too much for a marathon rather than too little.

Spot on!

Exhibit A:

I was doing my 9 miler easy run today, dealing with a niggle on the right upper hamstring, thinking maybe this might be my last run in this cycle, feeling down.

Near the end I spotted 3 dudes pushing a car up a short hill.

Of course I immediately jumped in uninvited to help push the car up, then at some point my shoes fell off and I remembered I was in the middle of a run, so I stopped helping and went back to running.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Forgot to mention:

OMR - Fatigue, I’m feeling very fatigued. Hopefully I didn’t cross the red line.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

CalBears

Cal - Yes, total bummer about Boston. I'm holding on to my hotel reservation for now just in case, but it's looking like there's no way around it. You thinking of NY for 2022? I'm supposedly in, as that was my choice based on the 2020 cancellation. Either way, I'll see you in Boston 2022. I've always found it interesting that you liked the Hadd training. One, in general, it seems like he was describing a way of getting a guy that had a huge gap between his shorter distance ability and long distance ability. Which has always been the opposite of you. It seemed like if you could get yourself into 1:28 half shape, you'd be ready for a sub 3 marathon.

Nah... Nothing too special about Hadd's training - I really like, for some reason, Hadd's test - 1.5 miles @ different bpms (140,150,160,170) - I don't know why, I just like it as a test that could be done once a month. I think I actually was attracted by their approach - training by HR (I just do not think it's logical to train by a pace - because our body doesn't know a thing about pace we want to run at)  - theirs - Hadd's and Maffettone's - but Maffettone was always kind of questionable - it's just kind of a little bit stupid to use 180 - age formula - when you absolutely certainly know that at the same age people can have drastically different HR Max. Very strange formula based mainly on trust to that method. At least Hadd uses HR Max - age formula, which is more logical. Also, you are right that what I actually used most of the time all these years for my training is just running a lot - that's it - I had occasional attempts to try Maffettone and Hadd but it has never been long enough, especially with Maffettone - you have to run for months and months to kind of see some results and if you don's see them, they say you are doing something wrong Smile. So, I alway's give up. Though Hadd seem like a more complicated and promising approach. And right now, I kind of try Hadd, but not exactly, to be honest - just something different that I never tried before and that I saw some other runner tried and it worked for him pretty good - though that runner is considerably younger than me Smile

It seems like I do not have any scheduled races up until the marathon - so, I will just go and run Smile

As for heat and fitness - I think old RWOL discussed that quite a few times. Old timer kayry always used Sweat Run like 3-4 days before a target marathon - he swears by those Sweat Runs Smile

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

... but Maffettone was always kind of questionable - it's just kind of a little bit stupid to use 180 - age formula - when you absolutely certainly know that at the same age people can have drastically different HR Max

+1

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Lookin' good Mikkey!  How's the golfing going?

2:52:16 (2018)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

What made me laugh about that front page cover was that headphones were banned for the race and they picked a random dude from Brighton with headphones around his neck. Fucking classic!

JT - Hope you and the rest of the sub3 gang are ok. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

What made me laugh about that front page cover was that headphones were banned for the race and they picked a random dude from Brighton with headphones around his neck. Fucking classic!

Always fun to have your caption then tied to the death of another runner.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Always fun to have your caption then tied to the death of another runner.

Triumph - Tragedy

Mikkey - Cal

CalBears

Triumph - Tragedy

Mikkey - Cal

You are lucky Boston 2022 will be accepting your 2019 time - otherwise you would not even get in  But that would probably be a great excuse for you as you would have to discover what running tragedy actually is - I mean at the finish line, 5-10 minutes behind . But I guess you still have plenty of time - your 12 weeks training will only start at the end of January 2022, if I am not mistaken? 

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I’ve become a keen gardener in my old age (never thought I’d turn into my dad) but I’m particularly proud of my bottle brush plant.

Doesn’t it look amazing?

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I'm more interested in your handicap. I'm down to an 8.5. I'm coming for you 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

That is an interesting plant! Really does look like the brushes we use to clean glassware in the lab. Nice work Farmer Mikkey 

2:52:16 (2018)