Speed work? (Read 689 times)

Hallo, Since I started running 18 months ago, I've done quite a few races between 10k - Marathon. So I guess it's time to try my first 5 km !!! Now, as life is complicated enough, I like to keep my running simple. I do 3-4 runs per week between 10-20 km, and a long run in the weekend of 20+ km. I just "run": No fartlek, no hills (unless I happen to be in a hilly country), no intervals & no tempo (except the days when I'm bored and decided to push a little bit). The thing is that my 5 km next month will be my first & last 5 km for a while (I kinda enjoy longer distances), and therefore it would be nice to do run decent time. My question is: is there any kind of "quality run" that I really, really, really have to do, in order to run a good time, or should I just keep doing whatever I've been doing so far? Thanks in advance Rafa

Targets 1) No injuries 2) Keep having fun 3) Some kind of PR

Mr R

There is no magic workout to make you fast. Each workout serves a different purpose, and they all work together to produce the results that you desire. That said, you will probably get the most bang for your buck doing tempos at this point. Don't stress the exact LT pace (since it changes according to conditions outside and inside your body anyway). Just run comfortably hard for 20 minutes. You should finish feeling like you could have kept going, but you should be glad to be done. 10 minutes warmup, 20 minutes tempo, 10 minutes cool down should help quite a bit. The other thing I would try is some pure-speed. 20/40s are a good way of incorporating this into your road runs. Stride fast for 20 seconds, then shuffle for 40. Repeat until it starts feeling tough and your mechanics break down. This might happen after just 4 at first. Eventually, you'll be able to do 20 or so. These will make you more comfortable and efficient moving at the faster pace of the 5k distance.

What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that? -John Parker

SMART Approach

Yes, I agree with Mr R. I would suggest once per week a 20 min tempo or 2 X 12 min with 1-2 min recovery between at a hard but controlled pace. Shouldn't feel quite as hard a 10K pace but close. Should not feel "race like" but you are working. You should not feel fried after this work out. Warm up, do your work out then do the striders like Mr R suggests starting with 4-6 and working toward 12 as race approaches. Then cool down. This run bay be 6-8 miles. You can do these striders at a fast pace (not all out but fast) w/ full jog recovery. You can do these on another day per week also. You also can finish the last 2 miles of your long run at a faster pace if feeling good. Not killer but just a faster pace on tired legs. These work outs will sharpen you up without really hammering on your aerobic base. Good luck!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

I (like you) over the years have been enjoying longer distances and didnt really like the 5K.....it used to take me about 5k or so to warm up (especially when I was running long mileage). Recently I have gotten back into runnin and have been viewing the 5ks a speed challange and really enjoying them. I have been doing Wed evening runs on a track (with a running club and more importantly a coach) specifically for buildig speed for the shorter distances. What I am finding is that my longer runs are easier and faster too.......so you may want to consider the challange of speed training once per week for a 5K as you will definately enjoy what it does for your 'long stuff'. There isnt a substitue (in my mind at least) for 10% track time. Its not much fun, but it sure make a difference.

Champions are made when no one is watching

While I totally agree with TChuck and Mr. R that tempo run of approximately 20 minutes would be one of the best workouts; given the fact you will be trying a 5k in a mere month time and this be "the first and the last for a while", my suggestion would be to do a 1km tempo, or approxmately 4~5 minutes in length on the road. From my experience with myself and with others, this seems to work really well without taxing your body too much. A form of intervals/repetitions as well as, as suggested, tempo run of about 20 minutes in length would work best IF you have plenty of time and this being a part of a, say, 3~6 months program. But, realistically, if you do this type of workout, say, once a week, you probably have only twice or three times to try. If you never done this type of workout, it'll take two or three tries to start to get used to it. 1km tempo at projected 5k pace would be much easier to handle and will prepare you for the next month's 5k race without over-stressing your body. Do a few strides the day before to get the rhythm. Good luck and have fun. I personally LOVE 5k.
              Hallo, Yesterday I did my first speed work. Run easy 12 min, run 20 min at 10K tempo, and then back easy 12 min. Result ... I'm afraid I've got runner's knee Cry Now my right knee hurts quite a bit, and this morning I just ran a painful 4K. If I get back ok again (never had such an injury so I don't have a clue about the recovery time) I'm afraid I'll never do a tempo training again. Just to be fair, I was feeling "something" after my run last Saturday, but nothing compared with the pain after the tempo yesterday ... Definitely I'm too old for that speed stuff Undecided Regards Rafa

Targets 1) No injuries 2) Keep having fun 3) Some kind of PR

Definitely I'm too old for that speed stuff Undecided
                Don't say that - cause I'm 56 - so if your too old, them I'm off the wall.......I sounds like you might have overdone it or that you already had an issue that was a little more exagerated when you started running faster......you can only do so much to increase your speed and expecially in a month......Your better course of action is to do your normal runs and then incorporate a little less speed work one day per week but less then 10% at first.......then build on that........AFTER you recover from you knee injury........

Champions are made when no one is watching