running with multifocal contact lenses? (Read 55 times)

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

Greetings! Any advice/experience re running with multi-focal contact lenses? I wear contacts, may soon need reading glasses, and so am considering these. However, I do a lot of running in the dark and/or on gravel paths, meaning I look down a bit, and am wondering if such lenses would be problematic. FWIW, my distance prescription is pretty strong. Thanks!

I have multifocal lenses, they’re great for running. With standard lenses I would need reading glasses. With the MF lenses I see the trail perfectly, and can read my watch, phone, map. I run 80+% on trails, so really need to see where my feet are going.

On the flip side, they are not very comfortable, and I almost only wear them to run.

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

Thanks for the input! Regarding comfort, might I ask, what brand or type do you wear? --Thanks, Christine

Alcon Air Optix

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

Thx!

I had to give up on MF contacts for everyday wear. My correction is -2.75/+2. I have problems with them for near-vision in low-light conditions. I still had to wear mild readers in the office, so it just defeated the purpose. If I'm doing a lot of reading or need to look at the fine details of something, I just take my glasses off. That's not an easy option with contacts. The only exception I would make is for a 24 hour ultra with a lot of sun exposure. I might start the day in MF contacts + sunglasses, then switch to regular glasses at sunset. By the way, I have no problem running technical trails in multifocal/progressive lenses. If anything, I see better with them because with the astigmatism correction I can hit a sweet spot and get perfect vision of the footing.

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

Thanks for the info! BTW, I see you're out in my former neck of the woods - enjoy! (Have dwelt adjacent to The Swamp since 2007. But at least I live in the Swamp-adjacent state in which we settle our electoral ties the good old-fashioned way: by drawing lots.

I keep thinking a best-of-three Rock-Paper-Scissors tournament would select the better-qualified candidate  But now I'm digressing.)

--Christine

KikuoArai

I've worn glasses for nearly 30 years. I prefer plastic frames, as I find them lighter. Other than that, whatever fits my face. Save Your Pound