8 weeks!!! Can it be done? (Read 313 times)

ultramarathon/triathlete

If you really ran 9 miles in an hour (or even somewhere between 8-9 miles in somewhere around 60-70 minutes) I'm sure you can finish that marathon. Sounds like you're in pretty decent shape and are no couch potato.

The trick for you (having no long runs and no real base run-training) will be the miles after, oh, say 14. You'll probably cruise through the first 9 miles, start to feel it a bit around 11 and 12, feel tired by 14 and then it's all going to go downhill and become a mental game. Doesn't mean it can't be done though.

Just have fun with it. KNOW that the second half is going to be hard, and the end miles (18 - 20 but especially 22 - end) will be wicked hard. If you're mentally tough you'll force yourself though. Will you be ok with a run/walk method toward the end (chances are almost certain you'll need to). Will you be ok if your last 6 or so miles are a death march where once you stop running to walk a bit, you feel like you just can't start up running any more (chances are they will be).

Ask yourself what you're ok with and if you're fine with a good and fun first 9-12 miles and a crappy as hell day for the second half, then do it. Maybe you'll surprise yourself! Be sure to eat something along the way, hit the aid stations, etc. etc. etc.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
    Gatorade Endurance Team

NHLA

You can do it but second 1/2 will not be fun.

8 weeks will give you time to get your long run up to 16+ miles. Just add a mile to long run each week.

See if you can get your base miles up to 30+ per week.

Find a 1/2 you can run in 5-6 weeks. When I ran my 1st 1/2 I put off my 1st marathon till the next year but you are much younger and fitter than I was.

Megan29

So my gf and my two sister are running a marathon in 8 weeks and I have offered to drive them and watch.  My question is can I run it with them as a surprise?  Now I would have truants right along with them but my schedule doesn't allow it.  See I am a minor league baseball pitcher.  So I haven't just been sitting around.   We do small conditioning everyday and I can run 6-7 miles easily. I recently ran 9 miles because I had some steam to blow off and did it in an hour. I am also done with baseball in a week.

My my question is:

how should I go about it?

any pointers would be appreciated.

I also feel that in race day I will have a motor adrenalin rush and be able to finish if I just pace myself. I am extremely mentally tough and want to do this.  

Thank you everyone.   Wish me luck

billy

Which Marathon are you running? I’m running The Perkins Great Eastern run in October and I follow their training guide, have you thought about using a training guide? This may help you. http://www.perkinsgreateasternrun.co.uk/training-guide

Daydreamer1

Normally I'd say go for it. I have little tolerance for people who always crying about the possibility of injury. However, if I were a minor league ball player I wouldn't do it.  I searched your name and if I have the correct person you're at the bottom starting to climb the ladder and have some potential. That means you should be doing a lot of off season work, maybe even including winter ball down south. Increasing your mileage so much could easily lead to some problems such as tendinitis etc.  While that may not be something the average person would be terribly concerned about, I could see that affecting your mechanics possibly for several months. I would ask myself if running a marathon would be worth the potential set back in your baseball career.

Just food for thought.

You can always drop out without shame.

There will always be shame.  The entry fee purchases the bliss of finishing a marathon. And a Tshirt. Which you have to give back if you don't finish the marathon