Update on My Attempt to Beat My 10K Time from When I was 18 (Read 90 times)

Some may remember my ongoing saga of attempting to beat my 10K time from when I was 18. In May I had knocked off 12 seconds and got closer. Well, this morning, I beat that time by 2:04 by running a 10K in 41:41! My previous best was 43:45 that I ran 3 months ago. My goal is now actually in sight as I need just 26 seconds to tie the 41:15 time from when I was 18.

Stats:

Distance: 6.20 miles (10K)

Time: 41:41 for a 6:43/mile pace

Splits:

First 3.10 in 20:56 for a 6:45/mile pace

Second 3.10 in 20:45 for a 6:41/mile pace

There were a number of factors that went into this:

1) I watched Karsten Warholm run a world record in the 400 meter hurdles this morning. I really like this guy and his reaction afterwards of ripping his shirt open and his sheer elation served to psych me up.

2) I wore Saucony Endorphin Speed running shoes. These are the best running shoes I've ever worn. They are FAST as their name implies.

3) The weather was favorable as I like it somewhat warm when I run. The temperature was 69 to start with a reasonable dew point of 59.

4) I had this date set in my mind for a while. I knew it would be my first fast run since I'd be laid off and wanted to use it to unleash some angst and anger. I succeeded in doing this.

5) Accountability. I told my son I was going all out and shooting for a PR. He's off at camp now but I know he's going to be very interested in my results.

Those last 26 seconds (actually 27 to beat the time from 1990) are going to be tough. I gave 100% today. This was not a tempo run nor a threshold run. This was a simulated race and I left nothing out there. It will only be through more intense training that I'll be able to further lower this time.  It's encouraging though and I think that if all goes well, I may beat the time next year when I'm 50.

Personal Records:

5K - 20:07 ran in September 2021 (The second half split during the 10K run listed below.)

10K - 41:10 ran in September 2021

8 miles - 56:15 ran in November 2021

Half Marathon - 1:39:06 ran in September 2020

an amazing likeness

So 'effing close!  You're like pacman eating up that time delta from when you started the quest...chomp, chomp, chomp.

I suspect with a real race 10K you'd outrun your individual time trial time...

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

kcam

Congrats!  Negative split is pretty awesome on your own.  I agree with milktruck ... you are probably a lot closer than you think if you go for it in a actual race.  Keep at it!

PS- I may have to try a pair of those EndoSpeeds, you've got me convinced.👍

So 'effing close!  You're like pacman eating up that time delta from when you started the quest...chomp, chomp, chomp.

I suspect with a real race 10K you'd outrun your individual time trial time...

Ha,ha, yeah, I've been taking chunks out of the difference but yesterday's run was a pretty good chomp!  I had quite a few factors going my way to help with the effort yesterday but you're right - there's nothing like an actual race to bring out one's best.

Personal Records:

5K - 20:07 ran in September 2021 (The second half split during the 10K run listed below.)

Congrats!  Negative split is pretty awesome on your own.  I agree with milktruck ... you are probably a lot closer than you think if you go for it in a actual race.  Keep at it!

PS- I may have to try a pair of those EndoSpeeds, you've got me convinced.👍

Thanks!  I do almost all my runs with negative splits but yesterday's was tougher to do that with because I set out hard from the beginning.  When I saw my halfway split, I knew I'd have to keep up 100% effort to beat it on the second half.

For a long time I had heard great reviews of the Speeds but when I saw them reduced by $40 when the next model came out, I couldn't resist buying a pair to try them.  I am very impressed.  Even when not trying to set a better time, I found my pace to be faster.

Personal Records:

SMART Approach

Awesome effort. You are fit because holding on and doing a negative split at race pace is more than just guts. I second your positive review on the Speeds. Something magical about them.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Awesome effort. You are fit because holding on and doing a negative split at race pace is more than just guts. I second your positive review on the Speeds. Something magical about them.

Thanks.  Sometimes I think I have it backwards from what other runner experience with negative splitting.  My challenge is to go out fast enough.  For some reason, I've always found it easier to go faster on the second half.  I think it has to do with the fact that there's now less than half the run to go and I know that even if I blow up, the majority of the run is over whereas if I blow up on the first half, I've still got a long ways to go.

Are you wearing the first iteration of the Speeds?  The reviews I've seen indicate there is not a lot of difference between the two models which is a good thing because it would be hard to improve on the first and they shouldn't mess up a good thing.

Personal Records:

Sienna Mitchell

Keeping yourself occupied with essential tasks should help you overcome your video game addiction. I was once addicted to cookie clicker games, but I quit due to my burden and the need to earn money. Actually, earning money for my other requirements and desires is more essential.