leaving coolrunning to stay here (Read 974 times)

De-slacking in progress

Really like this site. coolrunning has helped me get started on the C25k program and I'm part of the group on the forum. But I like the log tracking and other cool features this site has. I've went from 220# BMI of 34.4+ >> 180# BMI of 28. Still fat but the 40# weight loss is good. Just started running. Half way through the C25k program. I already signed up for my first 5K last Saturday in June. Very hilly course for first time Take a look at my log and see the course adn let me know what you think of the 5K route

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

sluggo

John

Good to have you here! I left coolrunning late last year when active killed the logging. RA is much better. I am a bit surprised it took you this long to get here. Oh! And congrats on the weight loss/BMI reduction and healthier life style!

John
      www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Slaptear, I LOVE your avatar! Evil grin That 5k course looks nice...some good little hills in there. Hope the race is really fun. My first 5k got me well and truly HOOKED! Big grin I took a look at your log--are you running all your runs hard, as tempo would suggest? I hope you are doing some easy runs, too. Running all workouts at a hard pace is a good recipe for injury--ask a few of the folks who have been sidelined with stress fractures about that. You will be better able to increase your miles and enjoy the quality of your runs if most of them are at "conversational pace." Save running hard for your race. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

De-slacking in progress

Slaptear, I LOVE your avatar! Evil grin That 5k course looks nice...some good little hills in there. Hope the race is really fun. My first 5k got me well and truly HOOKED! Big grin I took a look at your log--are you running all your runs hard, as tempo would suggest? I hope you are doing some easy runs, too. Running all workouts at a hard pace is a good recipe for injury--ask a few of the folks who have been sidelined with stress fractures about that. You will be better able to increase your miles and enjoy the quality of your runs if most of them are at "conversational pace." Save running hard for your race. Smile
          Avatar= Gollum from Lord of the Rings - my Precious, my Precious? It's ours, (my couch in this case ) it is, and we wants it. NO.... gets out there and run !!!... So running for me is a lot like having a Gollum in my head.. stay on the couch, no get out there and run Guess I haven't really learned the lingo in logs. I'm just doing the C25K program except I'm skipping the walking part for now. Yes, I'm kind of flailing around to get a good tempo that my body can handle. I just got my HRM today so on Monday run I'm going to use it to keep my HR down to 70-85% and see what happens. Just quit smoking after 29 yrs, so some days i can breath fine, other days this thing I call moving faster than walking breaks up that 10# piece of tar in my lung and I lose control of my breathing. I'm a mouth breather anyway. Never could breath thru my nose. Also, I work 14 hr days, so my time to get in a workout is at a premium. So if Tempo is the wrong term, I'll take a look. Right now I'm just working the 9 week plan (just finished week 4)

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ahh...yeah, sounds like your runs are mostly easy. Kudos on quitting smoking AND losing weight. I've been battling the weight loss demon for years. Lost 60#s about 5 years or so ago, then re-gained 20 and have been stuck for a couple of years with those bastards. Gah! Black eye For me getting out on my runs isn't so hard, but I definitely get the Gollum/Smeagol thing on food! Evil grin C25k is fantastic. I "graduated" almost 2 years ago. Am registered for my first marathon in Oct. It's amazing how fast one can progress with running if they are careful and consistent. Won't be long and you'll have developed such a good habit with running that it will be second nature for you. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Queen of 3rd Place

Welcome Gollum, I mean Smeagal, I mean Slaptear (Slaptear??) We loves all of you. You'll like it here, and the ability to share logs is really great for us newbies, the more experienced folks are super-helpful with checking your log and figuring out what you're doing right or wrong. And man...that's some impressive weight loss! Cheers to you! Have fun on that first 5K and try to take it easy. I threw up during my first race. Oh, and the second, third, fifth - yeah I'm a slow learner...don't be dumb like me Blush Arla

Ex runner

Ringmaster

Your introduction to running sounds a lot like mine. I started walking on the treadmill too, then started running. Like Zoomie, my first 5k was all it took to get me good and hooked, and I, too, have battled the food and weight thing--and am a proud winner now 60lbs lighter than I was 2 years ago. We're glad you're here and hoping to encourage you! I still dont' have a HRM, but even my Garmin 205 helped me to monitor my pace so I wouldn't do all my outside runs at race pace. Anything that helps keep you from running too hard is a good tool to help keep you running--and healthy--for life. Congrats on your new healthy habits, and welcome aboard!

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                Mile by Mile

De-slacking in progress

Welcome Gollum, I mean Smeagal, I mean Slaptear (Slaptear??) We loves all of you. You'll like it here, and the ability to share logs is really great for us newbies, the more experienced folks are super-helpful with checking your log and figuring out what you're doing right or wrong. And man...that's some impressive weight loss! Cheers to you! Have fun on that first 5K and try to take it easy. I threw up during my first race. Oh, and the second, third, fifth - yeah I'm a slow learner...don't be dumb like me Blush Arla
                  google "Slap tear" - tore up my shoulder- basically that where the bicep muscle attaches inside the shoulder socket. Nothing a couple of screws and 1.5 hrs of surgery couldn't fix.