2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Andres - The answer to both questions is "Yes". The marathon and 50k share the same course until just before mile 25. At that point the 50k does an out-and-back on the river trail the course has followed, while the marathon makes a turn to go downtown to the common finish line. There is a timing mat for 26.2 on the 50k course, which is a certified marathon of its own. The plan is to run that 26.2 sub-3, then hold on for dear life until it all comes from together during the next 4.8 miles.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Brewing & Mikkey:  Thanks for the advice will certainly take it on board.

Bio: I'm 43 years old now and as a sprightly 15 - 17 yr old I was a decent club runner over 3000m (8.57) & 1500m (4.06) on the track and also enjoyed running the cross country season. Pretty much packed in running once I started university. In 2015 I was diagnosed with an autoimmune disease called Ankylosing Spondylitis which causes serious inflammation of the joints, particularly the spine. I take medication intravenously every two months to keep the condition under control. My rheumatologist basically said keep moving as much as possible so I took up running again in 2017. I started of with a 2.18 half marathon and I've been making improvements since then with current PR's of:

10km: 38.50 (during a recent track training session)

Half:  1.23.20 (December 2019)

Full:  3.05. 40 (March 2019)

I'm six weeks into my training cycle for the Vienna Marathon on April 19th where the aim is to go sub 3 hours.

Brief overview: (Between 10 - 15 miles per week is run at marathon pace or faster)

Week 1: Total Mileage: 55 miles

Week 2: Total Mileage: 58 miles

Week 3: Total Mileage: 57 miles

Week 4: Total Mileage: 63 miles

Week 5: Total Mileage: 71 miles

Week 6: Total Mileage: 50 miles (recovery week)

My previous post asked for advice on the following:

A friend has asked me to pace him to 3.30 marathon in the Palestine Marathon 22 days before Vienna. Could I treat this as my last long run?

I've entered a 10 km 9 days before Vienna. Can I run this flat out and still recover fully in time?

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.

macey - That’s a healthy looking start to your training cycle at 50+mpw and I’d definitely say go for the pacing at the Palestine marathon because that sounds like it would be a very cool experience race. Do it. Your recent 10k TT and half would suggest that you’re already in Sub 3 shape and you might be looking at 2:55 in a couple of months time. I’m still of the same opinion regarding the 10k 9 days out. 

Andres - The Boston Marathon is very generous to 50yo folk by allowing you to qualify with a 3:30....so if your 30min deterioration per decade is true then you’ll still be ok. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Random thought well logging my run....at what distance/time does a fartlek become an internal workout? Side note (outside of winter treadmill) I run both on the roads on long loops.

Discuss.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

DPS - Assuming your phone auto-corrected "intervals" to "internal"... I'd say that it's not specific distances or times, but rather structure. "I'm going to run at XX effort until the top of the next hill, rest for a bit, then run XX effort until the 3rd light pole" is a fartlek. Things more structured than that, e.g., "set distance/time repeats/intervals at a set effort level, with a specific recovery" would fall outside of fartlek to me.
          Also assuming your phone corrected "discus" to "discuss". 

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Shtupid fone. I'll leave the errors above because you crack me up. Also... well=while

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

darkwave

Mother of Cats

IMHO, a fartlek IS a type of interval workout.  So all fartleks are interval workouts, but not all interval workouts are fartleks.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Thinking about it...is a fartlek just a bunch of intervals where you practice quitting when it gets kinda hard? I've never done a fartlek that I can think of or remember. Run as hard as you'd like for as long as you'd like as many times as you'd like so your easy run isn't boring. Yeah no. Hard pass. I'd rather eat Chips Ahoy with no milk. I love double stuffed Oreos as a point of reference.

What was the goal of a fartlek? I guess the boring aspect of an easy run is mentally stimulating to me.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Andres - The Boston Marathon is very generous to 50yo folk by allowing you to qualify with a 3:30....so if your 30min deterioration per decade is true then you’ll still be ok. 

Not to be a pedantic weeny but ... the BQ standard for M50 dudes is 3:25. And it generally takes a bit more than that to actually get into the race (3:23 and change this year.) Still generous, just not as generous as you said.

(I honestly hate myself a little bit for knowing all that.)

Runners run

Thinking about it...is a fartlek just a bunch of intervals where you practice quitting when it gets kinda hard? I've never done a fartlek that I can think of or remember. Run as hard as you'd like for as long as you'd like as many times as you'd like so your easy run isn't boring.

No. There are lots different kinds of fartleks and many of them are quite hard. Most are purposeful workouts that in no way take the place of an easy run.

Try this one and get back to us: Moneghetti Farltek

Runners run

Running Problem

Problem Child

No. There are lots different kinds of fartleks and many of them are quite hard. Most are purposeful workouts that in no way take the place of an easy run.

Much different than the Runners World Fartlek.

fartlek is unstructured and alternates between moderate to hard efforts with easy efforts throughout. After a warmup, you play with speed by running at faster efforts for short periods of time (to that tree, to the sign) followed by easy-effort running to recover. It’s fun in a group setting as you can alternate the leader and mix up the pace and time. And in doing so, you reap the mental benefits of being pushed by your buddies through an unpredictable workout.

words matter I guess.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

pepperjack

pie man

Not so different.  The runners world fartlek is just a way to get people to do something like the Monghetti without realizing it.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

We do something similar with our athletes on a consistent basis.  The rest paces are not easy and they will typically end up around 4 miles in a little over 20 minutes for some of the male athletes I coach.  This can vary quite a bit.  We usually pick a grassy park to do this in.  With a group of 6-8 the slower runners are encouraged to take tighter corners to stay with the group and sometimes follow the same patterns as the top runners to challenge themselves. I run in between keeping tabs on them.

Nate is a little off in suggesting that you can flush out the acid from the hard efforts.  You can partially do this but there is no way to get back to normal levels within the time of the rest periods.  But most everything else is correct.

Also, in that RW article Anaerobic threshold was incorrectly defined when they were talking about tempo runs.  I think they might have meant aerobic threshold but they should make an effort to get it right seeing as they are "Runners World."

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Not to be a pedantic weeny but ... the BQ standard for M50 dudes is 3:25. And it generally takes a bit more than that to actually get into the race (3:23 and change this year.) Still generous, just not as generous as you said.

(I honestly hate myself a little bit for knowing all that.)

Thanks for the clarification, I’m sorry Andres, make the most of Boston while you can because it ain’t going to happen for you when you’re 50yo. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Thinking about it...is a fartlek just a bunch of intervals where you practice quitting when it gets kinda hard? I've never done a fartlek that I can think of or remember. Run as hard as you'd like for as long as you'd like as many times as you'd like so your easy run isn't boring. Yeah no. Hard pass. I'd rather eat Chips Ahoy with no milk. I love double stuffed Oreos as a point of reference.

What was the goal of a fartlek? I guess the boring aspect of an easy run is mentally stimulating to me.

I’m guilty if never doing fartleks....but I’ve done 50/50 easy/hard 800m on the treadmill when I’m getting back into quality stuff again.

I’m proud to say that I never go into the deadzone during any runs. 💀

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Im going to be running my first race since May last year in a couple of weeks time (Brighton half). It’s a race that I’ve been 1:30 pacer for the last 5 years....but now I’m going to be starting with them and seeing how long I last!

Pacing Brighton half last year...https://www.strava.com/activities/2171940226